Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Home Theaters, What are you watching Tron: Legacy on? Post your setup.

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 9 PagesNextLast
Kaisergrendel
User

RE: Home Theaters, What are you watching Tron: Legacy on? Post your setup.

on Wednesday, February, 22, 2012 11:05 PM
Rectify, that shot of Bruce Boxleitner is one of my favourite pictures of him and of the movie.

Also good to see someone who knows where the speakers in a HTIB goes. I've seen way too many of them just lined up in front of the TV, totally defeating the purpose.

Rectify
User

on Wednesday, February, 22, 2012 11:54 PM
Kaisergrendel Wrote:that shot of Bruce Boxleitner is one of my favourite pictures of him and of the movie.

Ha, me too. His "turn-and-look" is the best in the business. My next favorite is when Alan convinces Sam to go to the arcade ... "Wouldn't that be something ..."

The receiver and the sub were worth it, I believe, but the 5.0 are mostly token. I get to have house neighbors anyway, so an upgrade wouldn't be very considerate.

I've been lucky enough to work inside several residential dedicated theatre rooms ... hardware these days are just a thrill to witness. All I did was paint the walls and ceilings, but got a full run-through of their setup. The screen was perforated, probably 120sqft. The projector was like a squat cylinder ... I should look them up and see if I can remember the brands. Anyway it was great fun.

where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

DrP
User

on Saturday, February, 25, 2012 8:02 AM
Can't see the last post (first post of page 7). I get error message. 2/25/12.abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Monday, February, 27, 2012 12:20 AM
To anyone who can see the 7th page, I can't load it. I'm getting a "argument 'expression' is not valid error.where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

DrP
User

on Saturday, March, 03, 2012 11:08 AM
Rectify Wrote:
Kaisergrendel Wrote:that shot of Bruce Boxleitner is one of my favourite pictures of him and of the movie.

Ha, me too. His "turn-and-look" is the best in the business. My next favorite is when Alan convinces Sam to go to the arcade ... "Wouldn't that be something ..."

The receiver and the sub were worth it, I believe, but the 5.0 are mostly token. I get to have house neighbors anyway, so an upgrade wouldn't be very considerate.

I've been lucky enough to work inside several residential dedicated theatre rooms ... hardware these days are just a thrill to witness. All I did was paint the walls and ceilings, but got a full run-through of their setup. The screen was perforated, probably 120sqft. The projector was like a squat cylinder ... I should look them up and see if I can remember the brands. Anyway it was great fun.

Forum is up and working again, yeah!

I also think the boardroom scene with Alan's reactions are one of the best in the movie. It's nice to see that even after so many years Alan still sticks up for his beliefs.

-Rectify
You have a descent setup over there. I agree with having to be considerate of neighbors. When I was in school I rented and was very careful not to play anything too loud, especially in the evening. It's one of those things that when you get your own house, you have more latitude on making noise. Don't worry, it will come.

-----
As for my ever evolving system, I bought a phono preamp, Jolida JD9. I also plan to mod it and have bought all the mod components (but waiting for them to arrive). I'm going to upgrade the tubes, caps, opamps, and put some dampening insulation in it. Once I get everything and complete the work I will post some pictures. The unit sounds great as it is but you can really take it to the next level with modifications.

Unfortunately, the belt on my turntable got loose. I started noticing this when listening to LP's and all the voice started to drop an octave! I called my local high end audio store and they have a new belt and I also ordered a record cleaner (which they ordered and should arrive next week). I plan to pick these up in the next 1-2 wks, until then CD's only.

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Wednesday, March, 14, 2012 5:48 PM
I'm continuing my DIY hobby and the latest project was upgrading my phono preamp. It's a great little phono preamp that can be taken to the next level with some simple modifications.

For anybody that is looking to upgrade their Jolida JD9, I made a step by step guide to upgrading the caps, opamps, tubes, and installing dampening material. I hope this guide helps those that are looking to upgrade.

As for my turntable belt, I was lucky enough to find a replacement belt at my local high end audio store for 10 bucks. That made me really happy as Rega sells their replacement belts for $40. The analog system is now sounding better than ever!

Comments and suggestions always welcome!

Here is the step by step instruction guide:
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenio&folderid=6855
-

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Wednesday, March, 14, 2012 11:10 PM
Seems a little strange that you can add hundreds of dollars of performance to something just by changing a few parts O.o

What's the dampening for?

DrP
User

on Thursday, March, 15, 2012 8:43 AM
Kaisergrendel Wrote:Seems a little strange that you can add hundreds of dollars of performance to something just by changing a few parts O.o

One of the issues surrounded with the high cost of audiophile electronics is that it's a custom market, and the labor is almost always done here in the US. This means that the labor costs in doing upgrades is hundreds of dollars because it has to be done by a very few (and knowledgeable) individuals. This lack of automation makes a big portion of the cost of modded equipment. Just think about it, you can find a sony receiver in any electronics store in town, but where do you find people who know enough about an obscure piece of equipment to modify it? You can buy this model with modifications already done in a few places online, but with the modifications the unit price is about $400-$900 more expensive. Sure the parts make up some of this costs, but a significant portion is labor.

The dampening is supposed to cut down on any vibration in the unit that may interfere with the sound. If you've ever heard electronics "hum" when turned on, it's designed to dampen anything like that. There are a lot of people that swear it improves sound, other says it's voodoo. I'm not sure if it made any significant difference in the sound, but it was pretty inexpensive and easy to put it as I already had the unit opened. I think you reach a point that when your setup costs over $15-20k, your will to spend a few bucks on things that only "may improve" the sound (power conditioning, custom speaker feet, cable risers, high end power cords,... etc).

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Thursday, March, 15, 2012 9:09 AM
DrP Wrote:
Kaisergrendel Wrote:Seems a little strange that you can add hundreds of dollars of performance to something just by changing a few parts O.o

One of the issues surrounded with the high cost of audiophile electronics is that it's a custom market, and the labor is almost always done here in the US. This means that the labor costs in doing upgrades is hundreds of dollars because it has to be done by a very few (and knowledgeable) individuals. This lack of automation makes a big portion of the cost of modded equipment. Just think about it, you can find a sony receiver in any electronics store in town, but where do you find people who know enough about an obscure piece of equipment to modify it? You can buy this model with modifications already done in a few places online, but with the modifications the unit price is about $400-$900 more expensive. Sure the parts make up some of this costs, but a significant portion is labor.

Not questioning the modding economics of it at all, I mean why don't the manufacturers just install these parts to begin with?

DrP Wrote:The dampening is supposed to cut down on any vibration in the unit that may interfere with the sound. If you've ever heard electronics "hum" when turned on, it's designed to dampen anything like that. There are a lot of people that swear it improves sound, other says it's voodoo. I'm not sure if it made any significant difference in the sound, but it was pretty inexpensive and easy to put it as I already had the unit opened. I think you reach a point that when your setup costs over $15-20k, your will to spend a few bucks on things that only "may improve" the sound (power conditioning, custom speaker feet, cable risers, high end power cords,... etc).

Sounds about right xDorder abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

DrP
User

on Thursday, March, 15, 2012 9:35 AM
Kaisergrendel Wrote:
DrP Wrote:

Not questioning the modding economics of it at all, I mean why don't the manufacturers just install these parts to begin with?

Sounds about right xD

They actually do. However, it takes the unit from a $500 stock unit price tag to $1250.

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Thursday, March, 15, 2012 9:44 AM
DrP Wrote:They actually do. However, it takes the unit from a $500 stock unit price tag to $1250.

Sometimes capitalism just makes me SMH.

DrP
User

on Thursday, March, 15, 2012 10:00 AM
Kaisergrendel Wrote:
DrP Wrote:They actually do. However, it takes the unit from a $500 stock unit price tag to $1250.

Yup. Even if it wasn't so expensive I still would have liked to do the work myself as I find it enjoyable. Also, this way I get to pick the exact components that I want to upgrade and it makes my unit truly unique.

With all the custom work you did with you home theater I know you can appreciate the satisfaction you get from doing something yourself and having a good outcome.

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Friday, March, 16, 2012 12:18 AM
DrP Wrote:
Kaisergrendel Wrote:

Yup. Even if it wasn't so expensive I still would have liked to do the work myself as I find it enjoyable. Also, this way I get to pick the exact components that I want to upgrade and it makes my unit truly unique.

With all the custom work you did with you home theater I know you can appreciate the satisfaction you get from doing something yourself and having a good outcome.

Yes yes, we're not the type to be satisfied with stock clones

DrP
User

on Monday, March, 19, 2012 5:23 PM
Also bought a record cleaner the other week. My fiancée will be in Berlin all next week on a business trip so I think I'm going to spend one night cleaning the LP's. I hope this works well as I have some really old LP's that I've been saving (they looked completely filthy).

where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Wednesday, March, 28, 2012 6:18 PM
DrP Wrote:Also bought a record cleaner the other week. My fiancée will be in Berlin all next week on a business trip so I think I'm going to spend one night cleaning the LP's. I hope this works well as I have some really old LP's that I've been saving (they looked completely filthy).

Well, I am all by myself this week so I spent a few hours trying out the new record cleaner. Happy to report that it works great! For anybody that has records and they're not in super clean condition I highly recommend this product. I cleaned about 50 records and the water tank after was just filthy. I could barely believe there was so much "dirt" on those records!

I also got a velvet record brush to use right before I start playing the records.

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Saturday, March, 31, 2012 6:53 PM
Some new additions coming to the home theater room. I bought a Sony SDP-E800 to use as an AC-3 Demodulator for my Laserdisc player. Once I mod my player this will actually come in use to decode 5.1 soundtracks on Laserdiscs.

I also made a bigger purchase today. I bought a Conrad Johnson PV-12 preamp to replace my Conrad Johnson PF-2. I have been really enjoying the "tube sound" and I hope it will bring some more musicality to my setup as the PF-2 was solid state. I'll try to post some pictures when things get arranged and installed over the next few weeks.on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Monday, April, 09, 2012 6:55 PM
So I got the new Conrad Johnson PV-12 preamp installed. I've played about a dozen albums so far and I really love the sound. The detail is excellent yet the tubes add a very warm musical aspect to the soundstage.

I just got done listening to the "Story of Tron" on LP, what a fun experience. They did a good job with incorporating dialog and sound effects from the movie.

I'm starting to feel bad about monopolizing this thread so you fellow Tron fans need to start posting here! I'm sure people would love to see what kind of setup you have!

where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Monday, April, 23, 2012 6:09 PM
So I just completed my most complex modification to date. I added an AC3 output to my Pioneer Elite CLD-97 Laserdisc player. It was a little difficult due to having only written directions but it worked out well. I made a step by step guide for anybody that wants to do it themselves and posted it on the internet.

Update (I only now noticed that most people have no idea what this is): For those of you not familiar with this, AC3 is essentially Dolby Digital 5.1. The last generation of Laserdiscs produced had an AC3 track that when output to a demodulator allowed for standard Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. Although this is no big deal now, it really was a big deal at the time as DVD's were not out yet, and the competing format was VHS that was stereo only. It was only later in the Laserdisc life span that they started using AC3 and only a few of the last players released had AC3 output built in. The CLD-97 is considered one of the best players available in terms of picture quality but did not have an AC3 output. A shortcoming that has now been remedied!

You can find a link to the download at:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenio&folderid=6968
where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

END OF LINE

tronfan72
User

on Monday, May, 07, 2012 2:40 PM
My Setup!
Heres my TV

Close Up of my TV

Blu-Ray Player

Back of my TV showing HDMI Chords

And Finally, my TV Speakers. They are surprisingly fantastic for Built in TV speakers. They sound great!

BEGIN THE UPRISING

DrP
User

on Wednesday, May, 09, 2012 8:44 AM
Tronfan72-

Awesome! Nothing beats watching Tron in 1080p blu-ray. You have a nice clean setup there! Looks like a great place to turn down the lights pop in the blu-ray and spend then next 2 hours on the grid!

I noticed that the speakers on your TV are rear firing. How is the sound with that? Tron:Legacy has a beautiful 7.1 encoded soundtrack that is unbelievable on a good system with appropriate speaker placement. I use T:L as my demo disc when anybody asks for a demonstration of my system. Placing the TV in the corner probably gives you a little extra base response which is nice as it's playing in stereo without a dedicated sub. I also noticed that the TV has bear walls and hard flooring around it. For your system this is probably an advantage as it will make the sound "brighter" and seem more powerful.

Big plus on displaying the two movie cases. When the movies first came out I was really debating which versions to buy. I ended up going with the "Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy" combo pack http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/TRON-Legacy-3D-and-TRON-Blu-ray/20252/#Overview. But I really liked the cover of the classic Tron movie. My version has the holographic cover art which is nice as well but I still would have liked to pick up the one you have as well.

Once again, great setup, and thanks for posting your setup!order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

END OF LINE

FirstPrevious Page: of 9 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Home Theaters, What are you watching Tron: Legacy on? Post your setup.