Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Home Theaters, What are you watching Tron: Legacy on? Post your setup.

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 9 PagesNextLast
DrP
User

RE: Home Theaters, What are you watching Tron: Legacy on? Post your setup.

on Friday, January, 06, 2012 8:11 AM
typicaltronname Wrote:You guys are making me way too jealous. I watch Tron on 26" Sharp Aquos TV connected to my 2.1 speaker system. Want to upgrade to a 40" with at least 120hz, but nearly impossible to find within a $500 range.

I've got my eye on the Samsung UN40D5003.

If you want to go DLP like "Disc-of-tron" suggested. You could find 60" DLP sets for around $600 dollars. This allows for a relatively large screen for a modest price. The only downside is that you can't mount it on a wall.

END OF LINE

typicaltronname
User

on Friday, January, 06, 2012 3:17 PM
DrP Wrote:
typicaltronname Wrote:You guys are making me way too jealous. I watch Tron on 26" Sharp Aquos TV connected to my 2.1 speaker system. Want to upgrade to a 40" with at least 120hz, but nearly impossible to find within a $500 range.

If you want to go DLP like "Disc-of-tron" suggested. You could find 60" DLP sets for around $600 dollars. This allows for a relatively large screen for a modest price. The only downside is that you can't mount it on a wall.

As much as I would like to get it, (especially at that price)I would have no place to put it, as our viewing area is very small at about 6-7 feet. I'll keep thinking about it, though.

What's the refresh rate on these monsters? The bigger s the screen the more hertz it needs. So, I'm betting its around at least 240 hertzwhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

"Reveal your creation date or I will disassemble your code one operation at a time!"

DrP
User

on Friday, January, 06, 2012 6:23 PM
typicaltronname Wrote:
DrP Wrote:

As much as I would like to get it, (especially at that price)I would have no place to put it, as our viewing area is very small at about 6-7 feet. I'll keep thinking about it, though.

What's the refresh rate on these monsters? The bigger s the screen the more hertz it needs. So, I'm betting its around at least 240 hertz

In all honesty the refresh rate is not that critical with modern display technologies. Remember that most movies are shot in 24 fps or 30 at most. That means that if your can display this rate you are not going to miss anything and the picture will not look any worse. Now due to some tech limits and stuff on technology it's good to have 120 hz, but going above this won't help significantly. Just think of your computer monitor, it's not refreshing at more than 60 hz and I bet you have no flicker problems. Even video games will not display higher than 60 hz. And Blu-ray video codec specs top out at 30 fps (with most content at 24 fps) (check out the blu-ray wikipedia article under video codecs). A lot of these high refresh rates came out of the LCD display technology limitation on blanking the previous frame. But that was due to ghosting issues as the technology was not the best in refresh times (meaning the previous image did not completely go away before the next frame came in). This wasn't an issue with DLP, plasma, CRT and other tech as much.

Bottom line, as long as the picture doesn't seem to be flickering or ghosting, the crazy high refresh rates are not going to be helpful, you could have a refresh rate of 240 hz, but that means your going to be displaying the same frame of the blu-ray movie 10 times in a row, vs 2 times for one with 60 hz..

Check out this nice little article on refresh rates and the need for these super high 120 and 240 hz displays:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.aspwhere to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

END OF LINE

HooDooMan
User

on Friday, January, 06, 2012 9:46 PM
typicaltronname Wrote:
DrP Wrote:

What's the refresh rate on these monsters? The bigger s the screen the more hertz it needs. So, I'm betting its around at least 240 hertz

Hey typ,
I just measured my setup with a tape measure, and from TV screen face to eyeball is 72 inches, so I'm watching from a MAXIMUM distance of 6 feet and it looks great! I too have a very small viewing area, so I feel your pain. But it's actually pretty close to the THX recommendations that DrP mentioned earlier. And it makes all the difference! It's a very immersive experience! Oh, and I bought mine as an open box special for $599 from TigerDirect back in June (40th birthday present to myself). So, if you're looking to buy a new TV, you might want to take a look at the DLP TV's. You get a lot of bang for your buck. I had no need to hang it on a wall, so I don't mind it being 15 inches thick at the most. From my couch, you can't even tell!

Now, let's all get together and have a TRON movie night at DrP's house! LOL! I would love to see and hear TRON/TRON: Legacy on that huge projector screen and amazing audio setup you have, Doc!

DrP
User

on Saturday, January, 07, 2012 7:59 AM
HooDooMan Wrote:
typicaltronname Wrote:
DrP Wrote:

Hey typ,
I just measured my setup with a tape measure, and from TV screen face to eyeball is 72 inches, so I'm watching from a MAXIMUM distance of 6 feet and it looks great! I too have a very small viewing area, so I feel your pain. But it's actually pretty close to the THX recommendations that DrP mentioned earlier. And it makes all the difference! It's a very immersive experience! Oh, and I bought mine as an open box special for $599 from TigerDirect back in June (40th birthday present to myself). So, if you're looking to buy a new TV, you might want to take a look at the DLP TV's. You get a lot of bang for your buck. I had no need to hang it on a wall, so I don't mind it being 15 inches thick at the most. From my couch, you can't even tell!

Now, let's all get together and have a TRON movie night at DrP's house! LOL! I would love to see and hear TRON/TRON: Legacy on that huge projector screen and amazing audio setup you have, Doc!

Here is a nice little online calculator for figuring out what ideal view distance you should have based on your TV size. http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html You just plug in the numbers and it tells you. Most people sit much farther away than what THX recommends and they miss out on a much more immersive experience as you said. Sounds like a you got a great deal on that TV for $600! Once again, DLP is a great technology if you don't intend to hang the TV on the wall. Post some pics of your setup if you have the time.

Tron-sector members are always welcome at my house! I wonder how many tron-sector members are in the Boston area?order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Monday, January, 09, 2012 4:00 PM
Well, I finished my DIY RCA interconnect cable project this weekend. This was in a planning stage for a long time as it was my first cable project. I posted a complete step by step instruction list here: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenio&folderid=6628

It was a fun endeavor and I plan to make future matching sets to connect my analog components. I used Belden cables (LC-1) with locking RCA plugs by GLS audio. The techflex braid cover is a "rattlesnake" design which I had to get as soon as I saw it.

Comments/suggestions always welcome!

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Saturday, January, 14, 2012 2:11 PM
After some listening with the new cable I was so impressed by the improvement in quality that I decided to make another pair to connect my preamp to my Oppo CD player. This one was a shorter 2 ft cable.

order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Thursday, January, 26, 2012 9:28 PM
Ditto what DrP said about refresh rates, unless you really meant frame interpolation combined with high refresh rates. I personally find the effect distasteful, but some people seem to like it. Why is beyond me. You trade a smooth constant 24fps with a frame frequency that seems to vary from shot to shot as the technology isn't perfect. You'd think the jerky interpolation would be more distracting. Also, whoever told you refresh rate needs to go up with screen size is...questionable.

Nice cables DrP, how much did they cost to make?order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

DrP
User

on Friday, January, 27, 2012 3:01 PM
Kaisergrendel Wrote:
Nice cables DrP, how much did they cost to make?

It's hard to make an estimate as I had to "tool up" for the project before I could start. The cable was under 2 bucks per foot, the plugs were about $20 per set, the techflex I bought a 25 ft section for about 10 bucks, I had a heat shrink set with numerous sizes and additional techlfex which cost 10 bucks. I had to buy a multimeter (3 bucks off ebay), cable stripper (3 bucks on ebay) solder gun 20 bucks, solder 10 bucks, and little "exta hand" solder kit holder for another 10 bucks. I'm guessing about 50 bucks per cable set but clearly it was a little up front cost as I had to buy the tools needed to make this. I still have tons of techflex, solder, etc... so I won't need to buy that for future cables. It was a really fun project and I really like the sound of my system with these upgrades. Overall this was very cheap as cables like these usually go for hundreds of dollars.

END OF LINE

Boba Fettuccini
User

on Sunday, January, 29, 2012 2:31 AM
Crappy 90s Magnavox CRT television
Denon stereo reciever
Cheapass Sony DVD player
@ bigass speakers I got at a yardsale for $5 that no longer have logos on them

Boom.

-==[ www.boba-fettuccini.com ]==-

trekking95
User

on Sunday, January, 29, 2012 2:42 AM
Boba Fettuccini Wrote:Crappy 90s Magnavox CRT television
Denon stereo reciever
Cheapass Sony DVD player
@ bigass speakers I got at a yardsale for $5 that no longer have logos on them

Boom.
Feel your pain, man. Until not long ago I had they same. But upgrading isn't "that" necessary if you can see a picture and hear sound. But then who does it for that? Like if we did it for just that I would still have a Black and White tube from 1950! Just save your shekels and get a used one some day. It will be worth it to see Tron on a good screen! (sound doesn't matter since I still have 4.0 surround and the HUGE Sony speakers which do have logos and it works)
But those Sony DVD players can be good! I have one from around 2001-2002 and it has almost just as good a picture as a HD (not Blu-Ray) one! order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

Thanks to FlynnOne for the signature!

Save Tron 3!

Kaisergrendel
User

on Sunday, January, 29, 2012 11:13 AM
DrP Wrote:
Kaisergrendel Wrote:

It's hard to make an estimate as I had to "tool up" for the project before I could start. The cable was under 2 bucks per foot, the plugs were about $20 per set, the techflex I bought a 25 ft section for about 10 bucks, I had a heat shrink set with numerous sizes and additional techlfex which cost 10 bucks. I had to buy a multimeter (3 bucks off ebay), cable stripper (3 bucks on ebay) solder gun 20 bucks, solder 10 bucks, and little "exta hand" solder kit holder for another 10 bucks. I'm guessing about 50 bucks per cable set but clearly it was a little up front cost as I had to buy the tools needed to make this. I still have tons of techflex, solder, etc... so I won't need to buy that for future cables. It was a really fun project and I really like the sound of my system with these upgrades. Overall this was very cheap as cables like these usually go for hundreds of dollars.

Oh yeah, my tool cost made up about 10-20% of my entire project cost, but I saved thousands in the process so I always DIY if I can. where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

DrP
User

on Sunday, January, 29, 2012 6:05 PM
Kaisergrendel Wrote:
DrP Wrote:
Kaisergrendel Wrote:

Oh yeah, my tool cost made up about 10-20% of my entire project cost, but I saved thousands in the process so I always DIY if I can.

DIY is a great money saver. Yes it takes time, effort, and a little practice but in the end it's a great way to have a truly unique setup. Also, it's a great feeling to look at something that looks great and functions well (AND know that it was you who made it).

How is your room coming along by the way? I know you had made the super awesome mantle and sliding cabinet. Last time I heard you had some issues with the cables but had some stuff on order. Hope all is going well in the "never-ending" project!

Every time I think I'm finished I come up with something new. Not necessarily big things but always trying new stuff. I recently ordered some cable management supplies as I had wires running underneath a heating baseboard that I wanted to "clean up the look" as they would "peak" out a bit even though I tried to push them in deep underneath. I bought 4 pieces of 1.5 meter lengths so I have about 3 1/2 of them left. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052005&p_id=7028&seq=1&format=2 I may try to put some more to cover the cables running to my speakers. I'll have to see.

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Monday, January, 30, 2012 10:32 AM
DrP Wrote:DIY is a great money saver. Yes it takes time, effort, and a little practice but in the end it's a great way to have a truly unique setup. Also, it's a great feeling to look at something that looks great and functions well (AND know that it was you who made it).

How is your room coming along by the way? I know you had made the super awesome mantle and sliding cabinet. Last time I heard you had some issues with the cables but had some stuff on order. Hope all is going well in the "never-ending" project!

Every time I think I'm finished I come up with something new. Not necessarily big things but always trying new stuff. I recently ordered some cable management supplies as I had wires running underneath a heating baseboard that I wanted to "clean up the look" as they would "peak" out a bit even though I tried to push them in deep underneath. I bought 4 pieces of 1.5 meter lengths so I have about 3 1/2 of them left. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052005&p_id=7028&seq=1&format=2 I may try to put some more to cover the cables running to my speakers. I'll have to see.

I had a falling out with my dad over the projector and screen. I won't go into details but he was really upset about the "symbolism" of having them there. Didn't want to rub salt into the wound by photographing the setup - the implication being I was going to show it off to someone. Still not sure if it's appropriate to do so now, but I'll see. Currently we're in an arrangement that forces me to take them down if the family can't get accustomed to it in 6 months. Not something I agreed to lightly, but what can you do. I had a number of things planned for the theater but they will have to be shelved indefinitely - possibly until I move into my own place.

I love those zip cable sleeves. I use one for my computer and one in the theatre as the "artery" to the sliding cabinet - HDMI cable, power, remote extender, centre channel speaker all routed though it to the one element. The flexibility makes it perfect as the cabinet isn't stationary. In hindsight, I'm pretty happy with the way the theatre is now as I made sure I planned it down to the last detail before starting.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

DrP
User

on Monday, January, 30, 2012 4:50 PM
Kaisergrendel Wrote:
DrP Wrote:DIY is a great money saver. Yes it takes time, effort, and a little practice but in the end it's a great way to have a truly unique setup. Also, it's a great feeling to look at something that looks great and functions well (AND know that it was you who made it).

I had a falling out with my dad over the projector and screen. I won't go into details but he was really upset about the "symbolism" of having them there. Didn't want to rub salt into the wound by photographing the setup - the implication being I was going to show it off to someone. Still not sure if it's appropriate to do so now, but I'll see. Currently we're in an arrangement that forces me to take them down if the family can't get accustomed to it in 6 months. Not something I agreed to lightly, but what can you do. I had a number of things planned for the theater but they will have to be shelved indefinitely - possibly until I move into my own place.

I love those zip cable sleeves. I use one for my computer and one in the theatre as the "artery" to the sliding cabinet - HDMI cable, power, remote extender, centre channel speaker all routed though it to the one element. The flexibility makes it perfect as the cabinet isn't stationary. In hindsight, I'm pretty happy with the way the theatre is now as I made sure I planned it down to the last detail before starting.

Hey, listen I hear ya. Working on project when you share a home is always going to be a give and take scenario. It doesn't matter whether it's your dad, roommate, landlord, significant other, etc. I went through the same growing pains. I remember when I was in school and renting an apartment, I had to watch how loud I played stuff or they would come up and bang on my door. Then later even when I had my own home, we first had the setup in our sun room and I had to make sure cables were out of sight and speakers not protruding into the room to much. It's not just the equipment that is in a state of transition but our living situations as well. It wasn't until I was able to build an entire dedicated room for the home theater that I was really able to have complete control. Even now I sometimes get the "don't you think we should put some couches in there so everybody can sit." Luckily, it's "my room" and this was agreed upon when I built it, but I think you should definitely respect the views of other household members first and foremost. And like you said, you'll probably move into your own place at some point and you can set up the system the way you want (In the meantime keep designing stuff! I can't believe how crazy accurate that 3D render of your room was, I first thought it was a photograph).

I have to admit that i'm a little surprised they would give you grief as you did such an excellent job with all the wood work and design in that room. I figured they would be like, damn you really made this room look nice, go ahead and keep going. If I had somebody living here with me that was so inclined and skilled, I would be like, yeah keep designing stuff and we'll keep building!

P.S.- Just of curiosity, what kind of "symbolism" is a home theater anyway? I like to think that mine symbolizes the fact that I like things of high quality and I'm willing to invest time and money into my home. Just my humble opinion.

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Monday, February, 13, 2012 9:19 PM
I bought 12 feet of corner base traps to put underneath the screen. I did this for two reasons. First, I wanted to cover the white colored heating baseboard as "white" simply did not match the room. And second, it's good to have a little extra dampening in the front of the room where it's hardwood and no carpeting to minimize reflections. I'm fairly happy with the results.

I also purchased a new phono preamp that hopefully will arrive in the next week or so. I'll post some pics once it's all set up. Saving this baby for the completed setup:

abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Saturday, February, 18, 2012 6:12 PM
Any improvement in sound DrP?

Rectify
User

on Saturday, February, 18, 2012 6:56 PM
Fun! There is nothing better than creating an A/V setup. Especially with a film like Legacy in mind ... I have never heard a better sequence of sound design. Every time, and I mean every time I watch Quorra and Sam escape the light cycle grid, jumping the gap and landing hard, boom! I fall off the couch.

My 5.1 is pretty standard, but I still get to flinch whenever those three Recognizers go whooshing overhead. Screen is a 50" plasma, which I swear is better than many LED panels out there, and it cost 1/3 the price.

The best thing for total immersion, however, has been headphones. I plugged in the pair I use for Xbox gaming into the A/V receiver (even though they came with a little 7.1 decoder) and watched Legacy. Honestly it seemed to double the sound field. I could hear the fireplace crackling in that opening scene with young Sam and his grandparents ... I could hear what GEM says to Castor when she first brings Sam to the EOL club ... I could hear what TRON says to Flynn in that flashback about the coup ... unbelievable. Not only that, but low frequencies are just as rewarding, particularly with the music score. For $100, you get crazy-good audio immersion. where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

DrP
User

on Wednesday, February, 22, 2012 7:53 AM
Kaisergrendel-

After installing the new front base panels I did notice a slightly less "boomy" base with high volume listening. I have to admit that the principle reason I bought these is for their cosmetic design. I really wanted to hide the front white heating baseboard and I figured if it gives a little extra sound improvement, it will be worth it. I have well over 150 sound proofing panels (not to mention cloth shades mounted on the walls) in the room so in relative terms this was a minor increase in sound dampening. Overall, I am very satisfied with the outcome so mission accomplished.

Rectify-

I'm glad to hear your having fun with your setup. That's what it's all about. It sounds like you really like headphone setups. There is a big audiophile community out there that does their listening through headphones. A couple of months ago I was thinking of buying a headphone listening setup. There are some really nice tube headphone amps for less than $1,000. I was thinking of buying a pair of the higher end Grado's as well. At the end I decided not to invest $2k in headphones when I have a dedicated room with large speakers. If I was living in an apartment or smaller house, a good headphone setup may have been the way I would have gone. Keep up the good work, and post some pics of your system including the headphones your using. They seem to be giving you a good experience and perhaps other tron-sector members may decide to use a similar setup.

END OF LINE

Rectify
User

on Wednesday, February, 22, 2012 9:26 PM
DrP Wrote:post some pics of your system including the headphones

I can confidently say my camera phone is the worst electronic device in my household. These images are the equivalent resolution of looking through binoculars from Boston to San Diego.

Standard Xbox issue ... although they come with a 7.1 box that has Pro Logic IIx, but no DTS. The A/V receiver takes care of Blu-ray audio anyway. Pretty amazing output for how little they cost. You're right, though, having a dedicated theatre room obviates the need for headphones, no matter how good they are.

A grainy 480i sample of some 1080p content.

No, I do not yet have a Blu-ray of the original TRON (much less a laserdisc ... congratulations, btw). Yes, I will get one soon.

And the wall-mounted Samsung, above the middling Yamaha 5.1. Lots of visible wires in this small room, but I and my OCD for things in their proper place have learned to live with them.

FirstPrevious Page: of 9 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Home Theaters, What are you watching Tron: Legacy on? Post your setup.