Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Home Theaters, What are you watching Tron: Legacy on? Post your setup.

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 9 PagesNextLast
DrP
User

RE: Home Theaters, What are you watching Tron: Legacy on? Post your setup.

on Monday, June, 04, 2012 6:02 PM
I recently modded my Pioneer Elite CLD-97 Laserdisc player again. This time I added a mod that turns off the Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) at the start of the movie by default. It's a nice little tweak that makes it so I don't have to press the DNR button at the beginning of every movie. Here are some pictures of the circuit board and soldering sites. It was hard to solder because the contacts were incredibly small and very closely spaced.

END OF LINE

HooDooMan
User

on Thursday, June, 07, 2012 11:06 PM
Nice job, DrP! That's some delicate soldering work there!

So, how was watching TRON: Uprising in your home theater? I'm sure it was an incredible experience! We'll have to have a Sector party at your place! LOL! where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

DrP
User

on Friday, June, 08, 2012 11:16 PM
HooDooMan Wrote:Nice job, DrP! That's some delicate soldering work there!

So, how was watching TRON: Uprising in your home theater? I'm sure it was an incredible experience! We'll have to have a Sector party at your place! LOL!

Thanks. It really was "delicate". For some of the really close ones I used a large magnifying glass! Definitely not a good undertaking for someone without steady hands!

As for the home theater... I am a really big fan of watching movies. For me, watching films in the home theater room is kind of an event. Kind of like when other people go out to the movies,... similar thing. When I'm watching Tron: Legacy in there it's not just background noise, but it has my undivided attention. Phones are off, no lights to give glares, no widnows, no talking, etc...

I usually watch about 4 movies a week. Probably 2 blu-rays and 2 laserdiscs (my other hobby). In addition to that there is a separate 2 channel setup for music which is actually my primary hobby (and where most of the funds went). As for the quality, I would honesty say that audio and video quality is superior to most of my local theaters. I would say only the Imax ones really compare. Many people don't believe this, saying how could your setup compete with a theater setup that costs $100,000's. It's actually not "that" hard due to limited size. At a theater they have a huge room to fill so they need a lot more power for their speakers, their projector is super expensive because they have to go on a huge screen, etc. Also, one of the main reasons I feel that the audio component is far superior to what they offer in the theater is because the theater has to be set up to accommodate a very wide seating arrangement. In my theater, everything is calibrated to a specific seating position with an ideal sweet spot of about 6 inches plus/minus. I get much better and distinct soundstage and dimension to the soundtrack than any movie theater I have actually been in.

As for the "Sector Party at my house." If any tron fans live near me (about an hour North of Boston), a demonstration can be arranged.

where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Monday, June, 25, 2012 4:54 PM
So it looks like one of the tubes in my Conrad Johnson PV-12 is going bad. I noticed a slight audible "shhh" sound and I called up Conrad Johnson. They suggested I try swapping the tubes to see if the sound changes as it could be a tube nearing the end of its life. Sure enough, swapping the tube made the sound go away. So I ordered a replacement tube which hopefully will be shipped out tomorrow. I'll swap it out as soon as I get it and report back.

Here are some pictures of the PV-12:

--
--
--
--

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Monday, July, 02, 2012 3:02 PM
Back in action! I got the tube replacement and swapped it out. The noise floor dropped to inaudible and all seems well again. Here is a picture of the new tube:

order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Wednesday, September, 05, 2012 9:43 AM
My latest project was making some marble speaker feet coasters to protect my hard wood floors from the spikes. Here is a link for the step by step instructions and more pictures if anybody is interested.

Comments always welcome!

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Monday, October, 01, 2012 4:08 PM
My fiancee (and I) decided that 2 walk in closets and a 8 foot wide coat closet was not enough room for her shoe collection. Thus, we had to free up another closet in the house for her ever-expanding footwear selection. Although this was bad news at first, I decided to move my Laserdisc collection into the hometheater room and it actually worked out to be a positive outcome. I was actually surprised (pleasantly) that I prefer this setup as I can grab discs much easier. I put a large media rack in the back of the room and I think it works quite well.

Now everybody is happy, she has another closet for her shoes, and I have a better storage solution for my 900 or so Laserdiscs.

The unit itself is quite large (and weights over 200 lbs):

Product dimensions
Width: 72 7/8 "
Depth: 15 3/8 "
Height: 72 7/8 "
Width: 185 cm
Depth: 39 cm
Height: 185 cm

I took some before and after pictures.

Comments welcome.

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Tuesday, October, 02, 2012 9:34 AM
That is some magnificent shoe collection :O

I like the LD case. It adds character to your room

DrP
User

on Wednesday, October, 03, 2012 9:12 AM
Kaisergrendel Wrote:That is some magnificent shoe collection :O

Thanks! Yes the shoe collection is... "magnificent."

How is your setup doing? I recall that awesome job you did with the custom made furniture, it looked completely professional (even better than many professional installs I have seen).

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Thursday, October, 18, 2012 6:24 AM
DrP Wrote:

How is your setup doing? I recall that awesome job you did with the custom made furniture, it looked completely professional (even better than many professional installs I have seen).

Sorry for the late reply! My setup is doing fine, besides the fact that I barely ever get to use it - drawback of sharing it with the living room :P There's always someone staking their claim to it, or complaining that I'm playing my stuff too loud (which is apparently 20 db below the THX reference level). If you understand the expression, FML.

I know I promised photos of it with the new projector installed, but my careful post-interior design course manicuring has given way to my parent's hoarding tendencies. It's cluttered in there, and I haven't had the time to make it presentable. If I may ask - how old were you when you got your own place?abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

tronfan72
User

on Thursday, October, 18, 2012 2:47 PM
DrP Wrote:Tronfan72-

Awesome! Nothing beats watching Tron in 1080p blu-ray. You have a nice clean setup there! Looks like a great place to turn down the lights pop in the blu-ray and spend then next 2 hours on the grid!

I noticed that the speakers on your TV are rear firing. How is the sound with that? Tron:Legacy has a beautiful 7.1 encoded soundtrack that is unbelievable on a good system with appropriate speaker placement. I use T:L as my demo disc when anybody asks for a demonstration of my system. Placing the TV in the corner probably gives you a little extra base response which is nice as it's playing in stereo without a dedicated sub. I also noticed that the TV has bear walls and hard flooring around it. For your system this is probably an advantage as it will make the sound "brighter" and seem more powerful.

Big plus on displaying the two movie cases. When the movies first came out I was really debating which versions to buy. I ended up going with the "Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy" combo pack http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/TRON-Legacy-3D-and-TRON-Blu-ray/20252/#Overview. But I really liked the cover of the classic Tron movie. My version has the holographic cover art which is nice as well but I still would have liked to pick up the one you have as well.

Once again, great setup, and thanks for posting your setup!

Ah... Sorry for the Late Reply!

But yes the 7.1 Track is AMAZING! I do some home theater calibration for friends and family and I use the TRON: Legacy Blu-Ray as the Demo Disc as well. My TV Speakers are Fantastic. The built in speakers Ive EVER heard. I guess the placement of the TV that you mentioned would help with the sound as well. Never thought about that.

I will say, I was a little disappointed with the 3D on the Blu-Ray. I remember the 3D being better when I saw it in IMAX. But it still looks good overall.

I did calibrate my HDTV for Night-time viewing, so thats when I usually watch TRON & TRON: Legacy...& TRON: Uprising. I actually figured out how to download TV Shows from the official/revamped Disney Video website by looking in the HTML code, and they offer each show in various formats...all the way up to 1080p with a 7mpbs encode, Including a couple episodes of TRON: Uprising! So I downloaded one episode and it ended up being around 1.5 gigs. I wasnt expecting too much since it was encoded at a low bit rate, but it ending up looking fantastic on my TV! I was really surprised!

I personally dont like the cover art for the original TRON Blu-Ray, its seems like they just threw it together last minute. :/

But thanks for your kind comments. I'll post any updates i add to my setup! on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

BEGIN THE UPRISING

DrP
User

on Saturday, October, 20, 2012 9:51 AM
Kaisergrendel Wrote:
DrP Wrote:

Sorry for the late reply! My setup is doing fine, besides the fact that I barely ever get to use it - drawback of sharing it with the living room :P There's always someone staking their claim to it, or complaining that I'm playing my stuff too loud (which is apparently 20 db below the THX reference level). If you understand the expression, FML.

I know I promised photos of it with the new projector installed, but my careful post-interior design course manicuring has given way to my parent's hoarding tendencies. It's cluttered in there, and I haven't had the time to make it presentable. If I may ask - how old were you when you got your own place?

Glad to hear that your setup is still up and running, but sorry to hear that you don't get to enjoy it as often as you would like! It's tough when you have to share living arrangements with people that may not always enjoy the same entertainment environment. As for you question, I lived with my parents while I was in college and then moved out after that so I think I was 21-22ish. After that I lived in an apartment so I had be respectful of the people whom I was sharing walls. The true "freedom" didn't come until after I bought my house of course. And even after that I was only able optimize the environment when I built my home theater room and didn't have to consider "typical house aesthetics" of a living space. It's a slow progression so don't feel you have to rush it. I didn't mind living with my parents at the time, it was great actually,... didn't have to worry about cooking, cleaning, laundry! Unless you want to be completely isolated from the world there will always be "other people" that influence your entertainment setup. My fiancee pretty much let's me do whatever I want in the theater room but I still value her opinion on the matter. She helped me pick out the paint color, I ask her about curtain choices for the room, I ask what her opinion on adding furniture, etc. I don't do this because I "have to," but rather because I value her opinion, especially when it comes to aesthetic choices. The choice of which particular hardware to buy is clearly my decision but I don't view other people's opinions about the setup as a whole as a hindrance but rather as things to consider.
on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Saturday, October, 20, 2012 10:12 AM
tronfan72 Wrote:
DrP Wrote:Tronfan72-

Awesome! Nothing beats watching Tron in 1080p blu-ray. You have a nice clean setup there! Looks like a great place to turn down the lights pop in the blu-ray and spend then next 2 hours on the grid!

I noticed that the speakers on your TV are rear firing. How is the sound with that? Tron:Legacy has a beautiful 7.1 encoded soundtrack that is unbelievable on a good system with appropriate speaker placement. I use T:L as my demo disc when anybody asks for a demonstration of my system. Placing the TV in the corner probably gives you a little extra base response which is nice as it's playing in stereo without a dedicated sub. I also noticed that the TV has bear walls and hard flooring around it. For your system this is probably an advantage as it will make the sound "brighter" and seem more powerful.

Big plus on displaying the two movie cases. When the movies first came out I was really debating which versions to buy. I ended up going with the "Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy" combo pack http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/TRON-Legacy-3D-and-TRON-Blu-ray/20252/#Overview. But I really liked the cover of the classic Tron movie. My version has the holographic cover art which is nice as well but I still would have liked to pick up the one you have as well.

Once again, great setup, and thanks for posting your setup!

Ah... Sorry for the Late Reply!

But yes the 7.1 Track is AMAZING! I do some home theater calibration for friends and family and I use the TRON: Legacy Blu-Ray as the Demo Disc as well. My TV Speakers are Fantastic. The built in speakers Ive EVER heard. I guess the placement of the TV that you mentioned would help with the sound as well. Never thought about that.

I will say, I was a little disappointed with the 3D on the Blu-Ray. I remember the 3D being better when I saw it in IMAX. But it still looks good overall.

I did calibrate my HDTV for Night-time viewing, so thats when I usually watch TRON & TRON: Legacy...& TRON: Uprising. I actually figured out how to download TV Shows from the official/revamped Disney Video website by looking in the HTML code, and they offer each show in various formats...all the way up to 1080p with a 7mpbs encode, Including a couple episodes of TRON: Uprising! So I downloaded one episode and it ended up being around 1.5 gigs. I wasnt expecting too much since it was encoded at a low bit rate, but it ending up looking fantastic on my TV! I was really surprised!

I personally dont like the cover art for the original TRON Blu-Ray, its seems like they just threw it together last minute. :/

But thanks for your kind comments. I'll post any updates i add to my setup!

Glad to hear that your enjoying the T:L blu-ray. I find it funny that it's the first disc I grab when I show somebody my system.

As for the 3D, I am actually one of those people that don't like it. When I watch a movie on my system I want the best picture quality. The inherent technological flaws in the current 3D displays is bothersome to me. I find that the inherent ghosting, lower perceived resolution, and most importantly dramatically reduced brightness is too much to take. And of course that the 3D effect simply looks fake since they haven't solved the "eye convergence" issue. Oh, and I don't want to wear another set of glasses. I really don't see current 3D taking over. I feel it's basically a gimmick that theaters will charge extra for, but 99% of all TV watching will continue to be 2D. I know many people who own 3D TVs, but none of them wear those goofy glasses for even a significant fraction of the time watching their sets. I find that most buy the TV, immediately watch two or three 3D movies, and then the "wow factor" wears off really quickly and the glasses start collecting dust and they put the TV into 2D mode for the next few years.

I'm waiting for T:Uprising to come out on blu-ray. I actually haven't watched the episodes for this reason alone. I'm basically at the point where many blu-rays don't even look that good to me, so although a 7 mb/s download stream sounds impressive, that's about the data rate on a blu-ray just for the audio stream! I don't watch too much cable TV, netflix streaming or anything else as the low quality of the content (especially what they call "HD") is not rewarding. The only standard def material I watch are Laserdiscs, but that's because I collect them as a hobby (many actually have very good soundtracks, superior to DVD mixes), so it's a different kind of experience on a personal level.

As for the original Tron blu-ray cover. I do agree that it's not the best. Clearly they didn't spend a lot of time on it. I don't mind that it's simple, that in itself is appropriate, but they might have gone a different way. Maybe just an original lightcycle outline, or the 4 squares of Tron's insginia. Keep it really simple but elegant. Oh well.abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

END OF LINE

Murdock.dat
User

on Saturday, October, 20, 2012 10:59 PM
tronfan72 Wrote:
I actually figured out how to download TV Shows from the official/revamped Disney Video website by looking in the HTML code, and they offer each show in various formats...all the way up to 1080p with a 7mpbs encode, Including a couple episodes of TRON: Uprising! So I downloaded one episode and it ended up being around 1.5 gigs.

How exactly do you do that?? I look at the html code and just get a headache!

"On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy."

tronfan72
User

on Monday, October, 22, 2012 8:22 AM
Murdock.dat Wrote:
tronfan72 Wrote:
I actually figured out how to download TV Shows from the official/revamped Disney Video website by looking in the HTML code, and they offer each show in various formats...all the way up to 1080p with a 7mpbs encode, Including a couple episodes of TRON: Uprising! So I downloaded one episode and it ended up being around 1.5 gigs.

How exactly do you do that?? I look at the html code and just get a headache!

Usually, I would be more than happy to show you how. But what I did was technically illegal. The only reason why I even downloaded the episode was because I already bought the episode on iTunes, and also because I wanted to compare the quality of the download to the iTunes Encode.

I will say that the 1080p Stream i downloaded from the Disney video site looks slightly better than iTunes 1080p Encode.

BEGIN THE UPRISING

DrP
User

on Wednesday, December, 26, 2012 3:49 PM
Happy Holidays to all!

I figure I update this thread with some recent additions to the home theater.

I recently changed my viewing seat. I had a simple chair as you can see from an earlier picture post. After some convincing I decided to put a comfortable couch in there that would be more spacious as well as comfortable for more than one person. I had been looking for an appropriate couch for quite some time as I wanted to make sure that it would be very comfortable. I don't know how many dozen couches I put my butt in before settling on this one! Overall this setup is much more comfortable and I think the dampening due to the size of the couch actually improves the acoustics of the room a bit.

There were also some other audio/video goodies underneath the Christmas tree. I will get some pictures together and post that later.

Was anybody else a good boy/girl this year?order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Wednesday, January, 09, 2013 6:08 PM
My new Conrad Johnson D/A-2b Digital Processor.

Some new Home Theater goodies were under the Christmas tree this year. Probably my favorite was my new Conrad Johnson Processor/DAC. I had been looking for this unit for quite some time and I was finally able to acquire it for a very good price.

Frankly, I was not expecting a significant improvement in sound quality. After all, I felt that I was getting a pretty good sound from my Oppo CD player being fed directly into my Conrad Johnson PV12 preamp. When I put on that first CD, boy was I surprised. It is difficult to describe the difference but it was quite obvious. The music simply became more.... well,... "musical." In the past year I have been slowly moving toward more and more vinyl because the sound seemed more pleasing to the ears. I think this may start a shift back to Compact Discs. The new sound is smooth like vinyl, yet without any of the artifacts or limitations of the format. I was originally worried that dynamics and detail would be diminished but this was not the case. The music is just as dynamic as ever and clarity is exceptional. The D/A-2b removes all the "digital harshness" inherent to the CD format. I did some test CD's, with my most critical pre/post comparison with Cyndi Lauper: The Body Acoustic (CD) which I had just listened to prior to putting the D/A-2b into the system. The low end was even more lively than before, mids quite accurate, but the greatest improvement was in the very high notes. Cyndi Lauper often sings with a very high pitched voice that if any higher would be a "screetch". This can sound somewhat harsh on some setups but with the new D/A-2b in place it was "accurate" but without any harshness whatsoever. I was simply amazed.

I have included a picture of it below:

abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Wednesday, February, 27, 2013 5:19 PM
Hsu Research VTF-15H Subwoofer with Rosenut Veneer
So the most recent addition to the home theater room is a new subwoofer. One of my subs started to get a little rattle on high volume areas and I figured it's time to upgrade to something "high end" for the "low end."

After doing a considerable amount of research I decided to go with a Hsu Research VTF-15H. This is a huge 100 lb beast that really can rattle your spine. What is also really great is that it can be configured from a closed design, to a 1 or 2 port open design on the fly. I really think it competes well with the multi-thousand dollar subs that I have heard so I am very happy with the purchase.

I wrote a full review here with pictures of the unpacking and setup.

Here is the product website if anybody is interested.

I have spent the last few days calibrating it and running some content with nice low end pieces (ie Tron: Legacy). Not only is it quite powerful (I have it on approximately 1/3 volume in my 500 sq foot home theater room) but it's exceptionally tight. You can really tell the difference between 16 hz and 20 hz, 50 hz and 60 hz.... etc.

If anybody is looking for a serious subwoofer, I give this my highest recommendation.

Stats:
Amplifier Power (RMS) 1400 W Short Term, 350 W Continuous
Hybrid Tuning 16 Hz Ported, 22 Hz Ported or Sealed
Woofer Front Firing 15 Inch
Q Control Range 0.3 - 0.7
Crossover 30 - 90 Hz, Bypassable
Crossover Slope 24 dB/Oct
Phase 0°/180°
Inputs Line Level (2), Speaker Level (2)
Power Outlet Requirement 430 W, 120/240V
Enclosure Dimensions 25" H x 18" W x 26" D
Weight 100 lbs
Warranty 7-years on Woofer, 2-years on Electronics
Designed and Engineered in the U.S.Awhere to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Friday, July, 12, 2013 8:33 PM
I figure this thread hasn't seen any love in awhile. My brother was up visiting this past week and took a shot of the Home Theater. Some things have moved around since previous shots.

order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Tuesday, February, 25, 2014 7:37 PM
It's been awhile since an update and I figure I will do my best to keep this thread alive. The last post I made was this past summer and I have since upgraded my setup (once again). Gone are my Martin logan Vantage speakers and in their place is now a set of Magnepan 20.1's. These are a large full spectrum planar speakers that sound just wonderful. They project such a huge soundstage that I have yet to hear any other speaker reproduce.

Here are some pictures. And as always, if any Tron Sector fans would like to post their setups, please do so! Take care programs.

Side view:

And the remote collection which always seems to be growing!

END OF LINE

FirstPrevious Page: of 9 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Home Theaters, What are you watching Tron: Legacy on? Post your setup.