TRON: LEGACY 
 What's your take on the Film News?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 8 PagesNextLast
Compucore
User

Re: What's your take on the Film News?

on Thursday, January, 13, 2005 7:13 PM
Hey Conduit its like Bit there in th original Tron there. Its either tick us in the on state or bring steve into the loop and make veryon happy and go yay and be all nic and calm there.

Conduit Wrote:
MutoidMan Wrote:
Conduit Wrote:One thing I'd like to say, chill everyone, they never once said that Lisberger won't be involved.

True, but the lack of any mention that Steven Lisberger will have anything to do with the film is enough to make us suspect that he's been cut out of the project altogether, and that's more than enough to tick us off.

Look at the utter crud that is Terminator 3. Why does it stink? Because Cameron had nothing to do with it, that's why. The same thing will happen to TRON without Lisberger.

I personally think it would be more newsworthy had Lisberger been cut out of the project than if he hadn't.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

DJ Aussie E.
User

on Thursday, January, 13, 2005 7:15 PM
That's bad karma, man.
Baaaaaaaaaad karma.order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Thursday, January, 13, 2005 7:33 PM
Remake TRON?

Update the original concept in today's time period?

Um...

NO.

TRON is what TRON is in large part because of when it came out and the time period it was set. It was poorly marketed and many people didn't go see it because of that (and many were just not ready for such a concept yet), so it flopped at the box office. But pretty much everything that gave TRON it's heart and soul is based in EXACTLY what the film was and is - AND WHEN it took place.

You can't respectfully remake this film without horribly altering what it is and WHY it is such a great film.

Remakes can be a good thing. We've all seen great remakes before I'm sure. We've also seen many not so great remakes. Not going to get in to which ones were good and which ones didn't quite work. But TRON cannot be remade and still be what TRON is. And what TRON is, is why we all gather here together as we do. We all LOVE it.

Nope. This can't work.

I'm also very happy to see others comparing this to the Sci-Fi's abomination of Battlestar Galactica with their remade series of the same name. That was my FIRST thought on this matter. Actually, a remade BSG could have worked if they followed the original premise and just did it right. BSG was not really dependent on any time era. BUT they didn't and that's another argument all together.

I respect the opinions of those who believe a remake of TRON can be a good thing. As much as I just want to flat out tell you how very wrong you are... I can't. We've all got our interests and opinions and tastes. Some may just get excited about anything new that has the name "TRON" on it. Some may very well believe that a new TRON can be great and exciting and they're keeping "an open mind" about it. I do not share in this excitement, but respect the thoughts of those who do.

To me, TRON modernized HAS to be a sequel set in today's time, with it's foundation clearly laid in what took place in 1982. There are SOOOOOO many cool things that could be done with a sequel. It is very conceivable that a TRON sequel could even be something that people who've never seen TRON would find interest in and want to go see. There is no need to remake this classic work of greatness. Profit can be made by building on what's already established...

Oh, why am I wasting my precious time?

Disney will do anything to turn an easy profit, regardless of how it messes up what TRON is (both in concept and what's cool about it). It's all about the profit, regardless of the original fan base. The remade TRON will not be geared toward the fans of the REAL TRON - we are all throwaways in their eyes. A (relatively) low budget production called TRON jazzed up with some trendy characters and modern themes and geared toward the 16-24 age group will turn an easy profit. It doesn't have to be huge - it just has to make enough money to be successful. These days they'll have no problem turning a much greater profit than the original, and with far less substance behind it. As with any business - the bottom line is turning the profit. That is good business. Too bad TRON has to be whore'd out to do it though Yeah - that's how I feel about it.

No open mind here - what a surprise, right? A modernized remake of TRON is just a bad idea. It will not be an homage to a great film, but rather a modernized regurgitation of today's popular and trendy ideas & cyber-action sequences mixed in with some weakly implemented elements of the original TRON (and some comedic moments) that won't be worth the processors utilized in it's making. And as much as I hate to say this, there will still be people who love it (the remake that is). YUCK!

There. I'm pretty sure that's all the TRON remake will be. Though it will be admired by many (sad to say), it will be exactly what I've nut-shelled here.

harpo989
User

on Thursday, January, 13, 2005 8:14 PM
Todd's generally expressed my feelings on this matter, but then it occoured to me that we are referring to the worst-case scenario. Is it not possible that the writers might appreciate Tron and try their best to stay true to the spirit? It's true, I would have much perfered a Tron 2.0 (adaptation of the game or simply a Tron sequel) however a remake isn't nesscessarily bad. (just 90% likely it will be)
It's a tough delimma. Do we support Tron because otherwise it might not see the light of day? Or do we avoid supporting something that we fear may ruin the Tron we know and love?
Of course, I'd love to know what Steven thinks...

Hmm. Is this my RezDay Present?order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

------------
Harpo989: The original fConer. (Now with (0rr[up73d fruit flavoring!)

Flynn316
User

on Thursday, January, 13, 2005 9:13 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY CAN'T REMAKE TRON. IT'S A ONE OF A KIND!!!!

WHY DOES HOLLYWOOD HAVE TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

This town is full of live ones!!

Conduit
User

on Thursday, January, 13, 2005 9:16 PM
guygg Wrote:I seriously doubt a movie like this would end up a straight-to-video release. To do something like Tron at all would require a good amount of production and money no matter how cheaply you do it, and to put a tough production like that straight to video is pretty stupid from a simple business standpoint. I doubt even Disney is that dimwitted.

If you were to make the original Tron with the same quality effects using todays technology, it would cost about $35,000. Disney would have to spend more than that, probably around a few million dollars. That's pocket change in terms of modern movie budgets, and could definitely turn a profit with a direct to video release. Disney also seems to be particularly fond of direct to video part 2s lately.

schwa242
User

on Thursday, January, 13, 2005 9:32 PM
Honestly?

I used to get upset over news about remakes and whatnot, but now I don't. The way I figure, it will either be good or it will be downright awful (and I can imagine some pretty awful "reimaginings of Tron), but either way, I won't let it detract from my enjoyment of the original film, because the original film is the greatest motion picture ever (in my special little universe) and nothing will ruin that. Tron will still be Tron, no matter what gets added on to it. The mythos is what you make of it. Or something. If it's bad, I can make believe it doesn't exist, just like the sequel to "The Secret of NIMH".

On the other hand, I do think it's awful if rumors are true that Lisberger is getting screwed out of working on the project since he's been trying to put this project together for so long. That's just plain rude on the part of Disney, but no-one ever said big media companies were nice.

-- Schwa ---

Traahn
User

on Thursday, January, 13, 2005 11:33 PM
Dude. I just wrote a mega post, but the board's error happened again and I lost it all. I had it saved to my clipboard but then started working on something else where I saved something else to my clipboard. I came back here and saw it timed-out. By then, I had already overwritten what was in my clipboard from here. Duuuuuude, I'm not very happy right now as it was probably my longest post ever here. Auric, DaveTRON, etc... if the forum keeps ANY records of our submissions -- the ones that get lost in the forum timeout errors -- please bring mine back. *sigh* It happened probably 5 or 10 minutes ago.

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

Corruption
User

on Friday, January, 14, 2005 12:07 AM
IMDB links

Lee Sternthal
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1600872/
Brian Klugman
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0460206/
IMDB shows the two working together on a movie called 'Warrior'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409457/
abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Traahn
User

on Friday, January, 14, 2005 2:40 AM
Thanks for posting those, Corruption! I was planning to do that, but hadn't yet.

Regarding the remake, I saw the following post (see below) at Aint-It-Cool-News. The part where it says, "no one saw the original" is true. Practically everyone I mention Tron to has never heard of it or thinks it was dumb. You see the same ignorance and cluelessness in Jimmy Kimmel Live's 'TronGuy' clips. Nobody knows about it or has taken the time to understand/appreciate it. So, then, what's the big deal in remaking it? It will give people another chance to see it, and it might help it earn some overdue respect. Just my $.02. We're already Tron fans. What do we have to lose? We can always just avoid the remake like the plague and forever watch the 1982 classic if it's released. I know I won't be doing that, but those who aren't thrilled about this news can.

If Disney backs out of this simply because even Tron fanatics despise the very thought of it, we're teetering on the edge of seeing Tron go dormant for another 20 years. That would be a disservice to those who want to see Tron kept alive and full of energy. As I see it, there's nothing to lose and everything to gain. If the remake is nixed and no sequel put into it's place, I'll always wonder "What if?" And I'll forever wonder why the Tron fans were so selfish *sigh* Choose not to watch it if you don't want to see it, but don't stir up so much negativity that Disney finds it necessary to cancel the project so none of us get to see it. Perhaps they'd launch a video game remake of Tron at the same time as the movie. You just never know what else could be in store if another Tron movie comes out.

If they ruin the remake, so be it... we'll always have the 1982 classic to fall back on. Just keep that in mind before stirring any more controversy...

Subject: Why make a sequel to a 1982 bomb?

Home I don't see why so many here and Harry think a sequel is the way to go. With a remake, you can now update the special effects and tell the story again. No one saw Tron when it first came out so I don't see how in this case, a sequel is a good idea.

the_iron_boar
User

on Friday, January, 14, 2005 5:59 AM
Disney: take note! Nobody wants a remake. If anything, do a sequel. In fact, I know somebody who wrote a very good sequel..... and has shown it to all the primaries. He knows who he is-- I hope he gets it going again!

"Bit! Get your stinky pixels outta my face!"

DaveTRON
User

on Friday, January, 14, 2005 11:48 AM
Let's discuss the actual announcement. Here is what Variety reported:

Disney has hired screenwriters Brian Klugman and Lee Sternthal to fashion a remake of "Tron," the 1982 film about a computer programmer who gets sucked into the parallel world of a computer program.

The original pic, written and directed by Steven Lisberger, was considered ahead of its time, from its fixation with computer programming to its cutting-edge rotoscope graphics. Klugman and Sternthal, who just wrote the historical epic "Warrior" for Gavin O'Connor to direct and Icon to produce, feel that the world has caught up with Lisberger's original concept, making it ripe for redo. It will be supervised by Brigham Taylor.

"It was remembered not only for story, but a visual style that nobody had ever used before," said Klugman, who recalls dumping many quarters into the arcade game spawned by the film. "We are contemporizing it, taking these ideas that were ahead of the curve and applying them to the present, and we feel the film now has a chance to resonate with a young audience."

Sternthal said the new conceit is that the computer programmer gets trapped in a cyberworld, so that the film can utilize the Internet.

"In a lot of ways, ('Tron') was a movie about a man venturing into hell. Our job will be to keep the humanity as he ventures into an unreal world."

The scribes take the job as they near an end to writing "Black Cat," based on the 1940s Harvey comic book character of a stuntwoman who becomes a vigilante on the streets of Los Angeles. Michael Uslan produces the pic to be directed by Chuck Russell.

That's the story.

I had lunch with Steven yesterday and he was as unaware of this as all of us were.

The fact of the matter is that nobody knows anything other than two writers have been hired. The assumption is that it's out of Steven's hands, and that is an easy leap to make, but nobody has actually said anything to him, so perhaps no news is good news?

I think it would be wise for all of us to wait and see what happens next before we condemn it or glorify it.

I have to jump on the BSG analogy here. I love the original BSG series, I even enjoyed Galactica 1980 to a small degree. I purposely avoided the remake last year and I only saw it two weeks ago on NBC. I can't believe I missed out on it all this time.

As much as I love the original BSG, this new version is so much better in so many ways. The campiness of the original is gone and is replaced by a grittyness and humanity that I really liked. I now love two versions of BSG, and they are separate and distinct entities in my mind. Wouldn't mind seeing further episodes of the old school version someday.

As for TRON, slightly different scenario. The story (yes, it had a story for those idiots who keep saying it didn't) was fresh and timely in 1981/82. It is not going to work today.

The Internet did exist and was acknowledged in a form in the first film by the MCPs incursions into other systems. It just wasn't called the Internet yet, we didn't all have instant access to it. So the fact that they think that's a big add-on to this movie scares the living crap out of me.

Who are these guys? How do people who have claim to only two scripts have the right to even touch TRON? I really want to know more about them. Are they even old enough to have really been there? I lived that time period, I know why the movie resonated with me and I hope they have the same experieince or we will get modern Hollywood crap out of this.

Keep in mind that Richard Jefferies was brought in a couple of years ago to write TRON 2 and I can tell you that his script sucked. I have a copy. Steven's version prior to that, which I also have, was better, but still needed work. Jefferies didin't move forward because Cold Creek Manor stiffed, and likely because his script sucked too.

Steven has handed them a TRON 2 story that I personally want to see made. I loved

DaveTRON

Traahn
User

on Friday, January, 14, 2005 12:30 PM
I concur. Thanks for the added insights RE: Tron 2 and for posting the full article... I hadn't seen it all yet. I saw about 5 minutes of one of the BSG episodes last week and I actually kinid've liked it. At least the scene that was going on...

Conduit
User

on Friday, January, 14, 2005 5:07 PM
Davetron, about that script that Steven showed you that you want to see made, does it fit with the storyline of the Tron 2.0 videogame? Because what really upsets me about the remake is how they sound like they're going to trample all over Tron 2.0's storyline. If Tron 2.0 had never been made, I would be much more enthusiastic about this.

KiaPurity
User

on Friday, January, 14, 2005 5:20 PM
I understand, Traahn.

But there's still a problem here.

How do you know if those same jerks who insults Tron... would they be willing to see a remake of the movie? (Some of them, maybe.)

In my experience, some kinds of jerks will stick to their stance, no matter what.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Astrozombbie!!!
User

on Friday, January, 14, 2005 5:48 PM
I was close of have a diabetic heart attack and a facial paralysis after I knew this news.

I do not like the idea of doing a remake , the best idea is to do Tron's sequel, TRON is all a universe for new storyes, why not let a chance for the sequel?

Is incredible to know that after any more than 20 years a sequel is not chosen.
I do not feel confidence in the new persons in charge of this project.

There are movies that really must do remakes (Master Of The Universe, PLEASE!!!!) and I want see some of the next movie remakes (King Kong, Fantastic Four, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory and Flash Gordon), but
TRON...

NOOOOOOO!!!!

I think that this is a plan of the MCP to return!!!

End of Line

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Friday, January, 14, 2005 7:05 PM

What bothers me, now that I've come to realize it . . . is this decision seems to have been made purely from a business perspective. (Well, what else is new.)

It seems Sternthal and Klugman are "in house" people. They've already been doing projects for Disney before. (For example, Princess Diaries 2. Whee! ) Disney would rather give this project to its own people, than have an outsider work on it. That seems to be the motivation behind this decision. And a very short-sighted one, at that.

They'd rather give it to some new kids who may not have a clue about Tron, rather than work with its creator. And that's a crime.

abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

DaveTRON
User

on Friday, January, 14, 2005 10:12 PM
Of course it's a business decision. It's the only kind Disney knows how to make. What will get us money? It doesn't have to be good.

Look at the news in the past few weeks. Bad reviews for TRON Xbox, new writers doing a remake of the original film, and now a third party developing a game on yet another platform. This is all diluting TRON, not bringing it to a boil.

I'm worried that there is so much information coming at once. This is not good for the future in my opinion. I will bet somebody $1.00 right here and now that the remake never happens.

DaveTRON

Compucore
User

on Friday, January, 14, 2005 11:08 PM
I would have tyo agree with you. there Davetron. The remake probably will never happen there. But I would rather like you had said there that thy would make a Tron 2.0 sequel. Also instead of readding th bottom line. Gt info on what the tron fans think about it. I know for sure if Disny is rading this. And I was in their shoes in this point of time. I would try and listn to what th fanbase wants. And try to fitit in there. So that the numbers would show the reflection of that. Sometimes you just have to listen to what th customer wants there.

order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Traahn
User

on Saturday, January, 15, 2005 5:53 AM
I loved the old Amiga 500 game called Pirates!. I wish they never would've remade it.

I loved the old Doom game. I wish they never would've remade it.

I loved the 1916 version of Phantom of the Opera. I wish they never remade it 10 other times; and most of all I wish they had never made it into a musical.

I loved the 1933 version of King Kong. I wish they never would've remade it (several times).

I loved the song "Unchained Melody" by Al Hibbler. I wish the Righteous Brothers and others never would've remade it.

I loved Tron. I hope they never remake it.

There just isn't enough room in this world for remakes, imo.

FirstPrevious Page: of 8 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 What's your take on the Film News?