New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
tron85
User

Tron: Identity

on Saturday, September, 17, 2022 10:10 AM
A new Tron game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2109430/Tron_Identity/

I hope that there will be some classic designs (and music) in it. I just prefer it to the Tron: Legacy look.

//also: Greetings, programs! Haven't been here for a while, hope you're all doing fine!

Boxleitnerfan1689
User

RE: Tron: Identity

on Tuesday, September, 20, 2022 3:53 PM
Oooh, looks good!

Traahn
User

on Wednesday, September, 21, 2022 2:11 AM
Darn. Someday, I hope we get another single-player immersive Tron world campaign to roam about in, like Tron 2.0, only better.

The last few games have been the antithesis of what I want. When I think "Tron", I don't think of arcade-y "mindless parkour wall runs", "static puzzle/conversation games", and "straight-forward lightcycle rides to read placards showing Tron factoids."

Tron games can't get any more 'mobile', 'simplistic', or 'web-browser powered' than they already have been the past 15+ years, and it's too bad.

The Tron franchise and setting just continues to go to waste, imo. Tron 2.0 came out almost 20 years ago! And that was the last worthwhile Tron game. A Tron game using current techs could be amazing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next Tron video games after this one will be a Tron card game, a Tron costume dress-up game, and "TronVille" inspired by FarmVille.

I agree, tron85, that it'd be nice to embrace the 1982 style more than the latest aesthetic. Might never happen, though, considering the franchise's trajectory

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

RenegadeProgram
User

on Wednesday, September, 28, 2022 12:44 PM
@Traahn

Agreed.  If they connect Flynn's private server (the one in Legacy) to the ENCOM server, I bet the look will be a mix of the '82 aesthetic and the Tron system aesthetic. I read it takes place 1000 (digital) years after the events of Legacy in the private server. 

Fighting for TRON, The USERS, Both Flynns, Independents, and the mighty ISOs since '82.

Traahn
User

on Sunday, October, 02, 2022 10:10 PM
RenegadeProgram Wrote:@Traahn

Agreed.  If they connect Flynn's private server (the one in Legacy) to the ENCOM server, I bet the look will be a mix of the '82 aesthetic and the Tron system aesthetic. I read it takes place 1000 (digital) years after the events of Legacy in the private server. 
That'd be nice. At least a 50/50 mix, but even quite a bit more toward would be my preference

Ha, funny you should mention reading the calculation of the time that passed. A time calculation was actually on one of the factoid signs in the browser-based Tron lightcycle 'game' that came out leading up to Tron Legacy's launch And the time calculation on that sign was either wrong, incomplete, or inconsistent with time calculation statements made elsewhere by Disney and/or the ARG media. It's been so long I can't remember the specifics, but I'm pretty sure it was wrong on that sign

---
EDIT:

Yeah, found one of my old posts, but looks like I deleted my analyses and screenshots (on purpose). All that is left are these bits of info where I was quoting various sources. Of course, none of the links work anymore since it is 12 years later (almost to the day!):

"While 28 years have passed in the real world, over 1000 years have passed in the TRON one."

Source:
Tron: The Official Site (Codex) - http://disney.go.com/tron/html/codex/tron-universe.html

"For every Gregorian Year that passes in the real world, 50 TC (Tron Cycles) have passed on the Grid."

Source:
Tron - The Official Site (Lightcycle Game): http://disney.go.com/tron/index_flash.html

"...(W)hen we quantify electrical impulses, those speeds are over 1,000 greater - so, if life could exist in a purely digital form, that organism would experience 1,000 years for every one year of our time on earth. When I work on my special project, it's as if time stands still in the "real world." Sam's grandparents can sit with him while I toil for what seems like a week, but when I return, they barely notice I've gone."

Source:
time.theory.compare.notes at http://www.helloflynn.com/

Essentially, when combined with all the info available at the time, and other observations/posts from others, it was just deemed that the info regarding exact Tron time was inconsistent, at best.

PS: I'm not looking to inspire new conversations about all this, but just mentioning some things about known time inconsistencies since the topic of Tron time came up

At least one of the old threads - http://tron-sector.com/forums/default.aspx?a=top&id=388222&pg=1

RenegadeProgram
User

on Saturday, October, 22, 2022 4:23 PM
Interesting. The game makers Bithell Games (of TRON Identity) must have that wrong, too, as they stated in an interview (at 2:17 in the following link)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=psBwmCb5dQI

the whole 1000 grid years thing in regards to when TRON Identity takes place. I, too like the TRON/TRON 2.0 aesthetic more, but I see why Kosinski and Co. went with the look they used. 

Fighting for TRON, The USERS, Both Flynns, Independents, and the mighty ISOs since '82.

Traahn
User

on Sunday, October, 30, 2022 5:41 PM
Seems like the devs were vague enough there that it's not incorrect.

It'll be nice to get a new Tron game, for sure (something is usually better than nothing), and it could be cool to see the old characters be as they describe. It has potential, story-wise. Not my preferred story idea, but could be neat.

But I don't really get the fascination with always having to make a brand new Tron world or advance it thousands of years with every new Tron game or movie. With T:L, it was some server evolving thousands of years like a digital Galapagos. With T:I, it's a new world thousands of years in the future again, where the old characters are almost like God-like status.

That'd be like making every Star Wars and Marvel movie/game evolve thousands of years in the future every time, wiping away nearly all the characters, worlds, and things that came before it. No continuity (except for the one or two characters mentioned in historical lore context), no chance to have good story or character arcs spanning multiple movies or games, no world/environment continuity (except "space" and "future-y"), etc. Instead, we've seen the same characters and locations popping up over and over and over again across all media, with even some parallel stories going on at the same time. I like that this helps build continuity, emotional attachments, and various other things. Sadly, with Tron, the rug gets pulled out from underneath everything each time, and I don't really understand why -- aside from Tron being far less popular franchise that's apparently mainly often only seen as neon lines, parkour, lightcycles

RenegadeProgram
User

on Tuesday, November, 08, 2022 4:39 PM
Traahn Wrote:Seems like the devs were vague enough there that it's not incorrect.

It'll be nice to get a new Tron game, for sure (something is usually better than nothing), and it could be cool to see the old characters be as they describe. It has potential, story-wise. Not my preferred story idea, but could be neat.

But I don't really get the fascination with always having to make a brand new Tron world or advance it thousands of years with every new Tron game or movie. With T:L, it was some server evolving thousands of years like a digital Galapagos. With T:I, it's a new world thousands of years in the future again, where the old characters are almost like God-like status.

That'd be like making every Star Wars and Marvel movie/game evolve thousands of years in the future every time, wiping away nearly all the characters, worlds, and things that came before it. No continuity (except for the one or two characters mentioned in historical lore context), no chance to have good story or character arcs spanning multiple movies or games, no world/environment continuity (except "space" and "future-y"), etc. Instead, we've seen the same characters and locations popping up over and over and over again across all media, with even some parallel stories going on at the same time. I like that this helps build continuity, emotional attachments, and various other things. Sadly, with Tron, the rug gets pulled out from underneath everything each time, and I don't really understand why -- aside from Tron being far less popular franchise that's apparently mainly often only seen as neon lines, parkour, lightcycles

Indeed. It is mind-numbing to me (and that is putting it lightly) that the house of mouse has had this property for LITERALLY 4 decades and STILL treats it like a red-headed stepchild-instead of admitting that they still don't fully understand it. At one point, Bruce (as was I and I'm sure others) was so tired of all the back and forth that he said he was DONE with it and was ready to move on - and he had every right to say it. However, at D23 recently, he changed his tune. 
I'm gonna say something I've been saying for years: Lisberger & Co. should buy the rights back and do any further TRON entries themselves. I know Steven Lisberger is enjoying his golden years and has moved on to other things, but his son Karl could pick up the reins. An independent studio, who actually CARES about TRON and UNDERSTANDS and APPRECIATES it would be a much-needed overdue move, to me.  
At the same time, I do like mystery games (i.e., L.A. NOIRE is one of my favorites. Sucks there wasn't a part 2), and, TRON: Identity sounds like L.A.NOIRE meets TRON (in a round-about way).  I may still buy it when it comes out. Hope it is on PS5. That and the new Silent Hill 2 Remake are probably coming out around the same time.

Boxleitnerfan1689
User

on Wednesday, November, 09, 2022 4:36 PM
As great as it would be no big conglomerate would ever sell the rights back, not worth their while i.e. financially, (am quoting J. Michael Strazynski of B5 fame here as fans have posed the same questions on his shows), one can only hope some sensible bright spark will eventually take the Disney reins and right many wrongs, not just of the TRON variety...we can dream right? ;d 

BountyHunter
User

on Friday, October, 13, 2023 8:15 AM
So now that this game is out, has anyone played it? Is it any good? Did it get a physical release?

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 Tron: Identity