General Discussion 
 Alumni Programs

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
Qix77
User

Alumni Programs

on Sunday, April, 12, 2020 6:57 AM
Skuzzy? Kia? Nickster? I've been in touch with our alumni. I've been in contact with Sketch, Compucore, Mutoidman... If any of you are still on here, lets set up a discord or something. I miss the old sector.

End of line.

doctorclu
User

RE: Alumni Programs

on Sunday, April, 12, 2020 10:04 AM
Well, I've recently returned after seeing the new Diamond Select action figures.

Greetings programs!  How've things been?

Boxleitnerfan1689
User

on Sunday, April, 12, 2020 3:12 PM
Nice to see you!

WildWill
User

on Monday, April, 13, 2020 5:10 PM
I'm still down to discuss anything Tron related.  

Traahn
User

on Saturday, April, 18, 2020 4:10 PM
Welcome back! This forum became a wasteland, devoid of all old Sectorites I feel in large part because of the lack of site maintenance and integrity

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

Boxleitnerfan1689
User

on Sunday, April, 19, 2020 12:07 PM
I think sadly, well in my experience, forums like this are deemed ancient now I am part of several others, not Tron related, that I have seen decline simply I think because the culture these days of communication is the impersonal likes or emojis not actually proper comment/discussion. That's only my opinion of course. Stay safe programs!

Traahn
User

on Sunday, April, 19, 2020 1:38 PM
That's probably part of it, too.

And some went to more robust and secure forum spaces, since this one is being put out to pasture

Another part was the influx of new users to Tron-Sector with Tron Legacy, and the diverging thoughts, opinions, and thought processes going into that film pre- and post-release. I think it fractured the community a bit, leading to just a shell of once was

And maybe everyone said all they had to say about Tron. Plus, with no good video game release since Tron 2.0 and no new movie prospects, there's no influx of new things to talk about from the pure energy source (Disney). Even hearing rumors over the years that a new Tron might be in the works is a bit lackluster, since we've had so many instances of those rumors getting officially shut down over the years. We're used to let-downs, so we take any rumor with a huge grain of salt.

But, long live Star Wars and Marvel, hehe

Boxleitnerfan1689
User

on Monday, April, 20, 2020 3:46 PM
I mean, yeah I'm one of very latecomers, but catching up has been a joy (never managed to get the games, not a major thing in the UK at the time); it's a weird one as I came from a kind of middle ground in computing, not a tech whizz but I know my way around, so TRON, the original especially fascinated me, helps that I'm a big fan of Mr. Boxleitner, hehe but I think TRON CAN still grab people be it because people have fond memories of the first time, see as delightfully retro or like me be fascinated by it.

I'm a bit of a creative and I think more than anything, these days I miss having a community to share and bounce off, whatever the fandom. ;D

END OF LINE.

Cyberwolven
User

on Wednesday, April, 22, 2020 12:13 AM
Man, I miss when this place was abuzz with talk and we'd jump on the game servers. It's true these type of forums have sadly become an afterthought. I used to also go to another Disney fan forum at the same time and the same thing happened there. They even made a brand new forum and it died.

It's all because social media sites such as facebook lets people have everything they're interested in converge into one source.

Why have a fan art club or forum or even tumblr blog when they can log into one account with everything there?

It sucks some of the fun out I tell ya.

If someone sets up a discord server, I'd be happy to join.

I'm cold and calculating. Don't press my buttons.

VRAM
User

on Sunday, May, 31, 2020 9:38 PM
OH.MY.User... By the looks of the latter post, it seems a new kind of MCP (Master Corona Program) has taken over TRON-Sector!!! But it is thanx to that "virus" and the real "quarentine" that I happen to see the username of Traahn in this thread by Qix and decided to write this my first post in almost a decade!

Greetings programs! You may remember me as the creator of the COMPLETELY UNOFFICIAL TRON TIMELINE... The very first TRON-related chronology anywhere! Not even the TRON Wiki had one, TRON-sector.com had it first! You can check it out here :

http://tron-sector.com/forums/default.aspx?a=top&id=365246

Also, the thread where I made my discovery of the 5 games Kevin Flynn originally programed...

http://www.tron-sector.com/forums/default.aspx?a=top&id=365333

I just want you all to know that although I decided to move on onto other things in life, I fondly remember all of you guys as the best fandom forum I've ever been part of!!! 3 non-stop years of the best discussions over my favorite sci-fi movie of all time. Period. (or should I say "dot"?) The release of TRON Legacy was the icing on the cake...

Auric, TronFAQ, DaveTRON, TRON.dll, Mr. Sinistar, Compucore, Qix77, Scuzzy, Sketch, Traahn, Doctorclu, Cyberwolven, ShadowDragon, man you name it! I specially remember TheReelTodd 'cause he gave me my welcome to this community, was one of the most active members and kinda disappeared just months prior to the 'FLYNN LIVES' ARG where we all were virtually and literally droolin' all over... (Man! Those were the days!) Also LurkingHorror, being the writer of the first official TRON-related comic book ever (if I'm not mistaken) and actively discussing the TRON Timeline with me; to all of you about to get re-digitized in my memory banks forever :

I SALUTE YOU!

You need to check out the COMPLETELY UNOFFICIAL TRON TIMELINE!
Meanwhile in the real world... the controller feeds the shift clock to the VRAM's video port. Each shift clock pulse causes the VRAM to deliver the next datum, in strict address order, from the shift-register to the video port... Next frame-buffer data: Who created users?

Boxleitnerfan1689
User

on Monday, June, 01, 2020 5:35 PM
Hello there! Will check your work out, it's a shame it's quiet here now but it's nice too see people pop in!

RenegadeProgram
User

on Tuesday, June, 02, 2020 12:11 PM
Greetings Programs! May everyone be doing well.  I check in from time to time when I can. Looks like we'll need to install some upgrades, LOL!!!! There's a rampant rogue program that's been dirtying up the sector. Maybe Dillinger Jr. & MCP 2.0 are at it. . .I remember back in the earlier days, when this place was hopping, and especially up to, before, and during Legacy. I also recall writing my own TRON Legacy poem set to the tune of an old-school TV show (hint: Texas T; Black Gold; Swimming Pools & Movie Stars, LOL!). I miss the old cycles, and I recall a lot of the vets who used to hang out here and what they brought to this place!  Wonder if programs like HooDoo Man are still around? 

Fighting for TRON, The USERS, Both Flynns, Independents, and the mighty ISOs since '82.

RenegadeProgram
User

on Tuesday, July, 07, 2020 1:57 PM
VRAM Wrote:OH.MY.User... By the looks of the latter post, it seems a new kind of MCP (Master Corona Program) has taken over TRON-Sector!!! But it is thanx to that "virus" and the real "quarentine" that I happen to see the username of Traahn in this thread by Qix and decided to write this my first post in almost a decade!

Greetings programs! You may remember me as the creator of the COMPLETELY UNOFFICIAL TRON TIMELINE... The very first TRON-related chronology anywhere! Not even the TRON Wiki had one, TRON-sector.com had it first! You can check it out here :

http://tron-sector.com/forums/default.aspx?a=top&id=365246

Also, the thread where I made my discovery of the 5 games Kevin Flynn originally programed...

http://www.tron-sector.com/forums/default.aspx?a=top&id=365333

I just want you all to know that although I decided to move on onto other things in life, I fondly remember all of you guys as the best fandom forum I've ever been part of!!! 3 non-stop years of the best discussions over my favorite sci-fi movie of all time. Period. (or should I say "dot"?) The release of TRON Legacy was the icing on the cake...

Auric, TronFAQ, DaveTRON, TRON.dll, Mr. Sinistar, Compucore, Qix77, Scuzzy, Sketch, Traahn, Doctorclu, Cyberwolven, ShadowDragon, man you name it! I specially remember TheReelTodd 'cause he gave me my welcome to this community, was one of the most active members and kinda disappeared just months prior to the 'FLYNN LIVES' ARG where we all were virtually and literally droolin' all over... (Man! Those were the days!) Also LurkingHorror, being the writer of the first official TRON-related comic book ever (if I'm not mistaken) and actively discussing the TRON Timeline with me; to all of you about to get re-digitized in my memory banks forever :

I SALUTE YOU!
Greetings, VRAM. NICE! Thx, Program for all you do! Will be checking out the timeline you put together, as well as the list of Kevin Flynn's 5 games. I recall seeing a timeline of sorts on the promotional encominternational.com site when Legacy was out back in 2010, and it had some conflicts with another one posted on TronWiki.

Fighting for TRON, The USERS, Both Flynns, Independents, and the mighty ISOs since '82.

Traahn
User

on Sunday, July, 12, 2020 6:46 PM
VRAM Wrote:...But it is thanx to that "virus" and the real "quarentine" that I happen to see the username of Traahn in this thread by Qix and decided to write this my first post in almost a decade!

Greetings programs!
Greetings, VRAM! Nice to see you stop by Yeah, I don't post here very much anymore, and I do miss the days of yesteryear when thoughts flowed freely and actively through these micro-circuits. I will take a look at your quite detailed timeline soon and re-orient myself. Good job on that I miss everyone, and TheReelTodd's departure from the forum was particularly sad. I really hope everyone is doing well.

Maybe the new Tron 3 rumors (yes, another new round as of a few days ago'ish) will actually blossom into another movie or Disney+ adventure this time that will attract more discussion here; and hopefully 'positive' discussion, at that.

Considering COVID is happening and the movie/film industry is suffering from social distancing and such, I'm thinking Disney is looking at Tron as a franchise they can turn to, since a lot can be done digitally for it. By its very nature, a large part of Tron's events happens in the computer. Less need for big sets, crews, and lots of actors all interacting with each other, etc. So, I wonder if that is partially the reason for possible renewed interest in Tron by Disney as of late?

I also hope Disney feels inspired to make a Tron video game or two in these COVID times, akin to Tron 2.0 in terms of its style and respect to the franchise and its adventurous goodness. I've probably said it before, but it's worth repeating since games like Tron 2.0 are rare: kudos to DaveTRON and the Monolith teams he worked with to make such a great gaming homage to Tron, with Tron 2.0 It's not every day where a movie-based video game is done well and respects the franchise. We were lucky Tron 2.0 did.

I don't think I've shared this info before, but I actually got to playtest Tron 2.0 before it was released at Monolith's studio as part of a focus group, offering my thoughts and critiques. It was an honor and privilege; I was so excited, given that was (and still is) my favorite movie. There are a couple elements of Tron 2.0 that I remember commenting on during the playtest; and both of them made it into the final game. I like to think I did my part to help improve the game (Even though I know there's a slight chance the things I commented on were already planned.)

At any rate, I should get going here. Great to see you VRAM and other Sectorites who drop in to say, "Hi!" I'm glad seeing my name pop up inspired you to send a quick note for us!

Take care,

-Traahn

Boxleitnerfan1689
User

on Monday, July, 13, 2020 5:58 PM
Oh wow, that is SO amazing!

flynn1978
User

on Tuesday, July, 21, 2020 9:19 PM
Hello, all!  Cool post, Traahn!  I got to play some disc arena on TRON 2.0 about a month ago!  I'd been playing the Steam version!  I also miss the great threads on this forum!  We've had some great times!

"Happy is the man of reason who can face the world in season."

Kat
User

on Monday, October, 05, 2020 7:21 PM
I come by now and again, but not much to see since it seems to be mostly spammers.  I've been reading over old threads... "Oh yeah, we did talk about that!  Oh... and we did talk about... that..."  LOL

Traahn Wrote:Welcome back! This forum became a wasteland, devoid of all old Sectorites I feel in large part because of the lack of site maintenance and integrity
I feel like it was more because, everything had been done to death so many times and there just wasn't much new to discuss.

Boxleitnerfan1689 Wrote:I think sadly, well in my experience, forums like this are deemed ancient now I am part of several others, not Tron related, that I have seen decline simply I think because the culture these days of communication is the impersonal likes or emojis not actually proper comment/discussion. That's only my opinion of course. Stay safe programs!
*shrug*  Forums come and go.  I can think of many I was once quite active on, and now they're mostly dead (call Miracle Max...).  Not really for any specific reason, it's just that members became less active, and that was that.  It's just the way of forums, as many other things.

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Traahn
User

on Monday, October, 05, 2020 11:50 PM
Kat wrote: I feel like it was more because, everything had been done to death so many times and there just wasn't much new to discuss.

There's an element of that, for sure. So many factors have led to it, to be honest. I joined around 2003, and that's after lurking for years at feeder sites that eventually fed into Tron-Sector. Sectorites and Tron fans freely discussed many things for years and years about a film that was 20 years old; and not only about Tron, but other random related and unrelated things, too. So, I think 'not much new to discuss' isn't the big reason... considering the franchise now has two films, an animated series, multiple Tron video games, comicbooks, several fan creations, and a variety of other media.

'Not much new to discuss', if that really is the case, could be construed as a slight indirect, unintended dig against the story, visuals, intricacies, nuances, and depth of T:L since Tron-Sector has been a relative ghost-town for probably a good five years now. Did the film have such a lack of depth that there really was nothing else to say about it, its periphery media, or future potential within five years of its release? I hope not, but it could be the case. Or maybe folks just needed a break and will circle back in 10 or so more years, if nostalgia kicks in like it probably did for 1982.

There were different philosophies between some fans of T1982 vs T:L, too, which didn't help maintain a cohesive group of fans through it all.

But also, obviously, social media is different these days. Facebook, reddit, and other outlets likely play a role in fragmenting the community.

Add in some drama from admins' perspectives, some spam, and we have the Sector where it is now #ohwell

Kat
User

on Saturday, October, 10, 2020 6:47 PM
But how many times can we talk about what the next movie should be about (multiple threads), will there BE another movie (multiple threads), how the time difference works (multiple threads), what's really the deal with Quorra (multiple threads), is Tron/Flynn dead (multiple threads), why do they eat in the Grid (IIRC, multiple threads), why is Gem so hot (multiple threads), differences between the two films, differences between one/both films and this game or that comic book, which actors will be in the next movie (multiple threads), how to make a costume (multiple threads), Tron at Disneyworld (multiple threads), the soundtrack and was it good and how about this remix and who should do the next one (I think multiple threads), was the Grid destroyed and if not what happened to it (multiple threads), is Dillinjr bad (multiple threads), where's Yori/Ram (multiple threads), did X or Y character do the right thing at certain points of the film (we even had a major argument about whether Flynn kissing Yori was a douchebag move or not), what's the deal with Flynn's disc (possibly multiple threads), hey I heard parts of the soundtrack/saw a Tron reference elsewhere (multiple threads), similarities between Tron and other movies, what else are the actors doing, who just watched one or both films again recently, what's the deal with Zustor (multiple threads), is Zustor dead (I think multiple threads), what were those figurines on Flynn's mantel (maybe multiple threads), where's the hidden Mickey (multiple threads), does physics apply in the Grid, how to create glowing "energy" drinks, what happens when Quorra comes to the real world (multiple threads), do programs have sex, what really are the Isos, how was Clu planning to get out into the "real world," could Clu get out into the real world and if so what would happen, why were there no tanks in T:L, etc. etc.

We've even had the complaints about "oh are we going to talk/complain about this again??"

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Boxleitnerfan1689
User

on Sunday, October, 11, 2020 10:42 AM
I get your point enitirely, unfortunately on the flip side of it, a newbie-ish like myself when looking for communities are looking to swap ideas/chat and sometimes learn from wiser minds as it were; I got chased off another forum of another programme I'd just started watching because I didn't know anything yet, thankfully those I've met here are nice about it.

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 Alumni Programs