General Discussion 
 Joseph Kosinski: Tron 3 Will Be Our "Empire Strikes Back"

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
J
User

RE: Joseph Kosinski: Tron 3 Will Be Our "Empire Strikes Back"

on Wednesday, December, 19, 2012 4:51 PM
Dude, we already HAD Empire Strikes Back - it's called Legacy. We frankly went from Phantom Menace to Empire Strikes Back without anything in between.

Almost everything that was hopeful about the previous movie was crushed; The Rebels fall at the Battle of Hoth, and it looks like the remnants of Beck's crew are crushed at the End of Line.

The old mentor types don't bother to go out and fight, choosing to cower away from the galaxy and attempt scolding the hero into apathy. Flynn gets better, Yoda does not.

A nascent, but not yet overt love story (Han & Leia / Sam & Quorra)

Betrayal by a flamboyant ally (though Lando had better reasons than Zues)

No victory conditions - the heroes just get away with their skins intact, but with a heavy casualty rate and loss.

And the fate of Darth Vader/Tronzler is still an open question.

Or it's Knights of the Old Republic where the whole arc is summed up as "It gets worse." OK, canonically, Revan goes light, pulls Bastila back with him, gets the Cross of Glory, and the Sith are kinda trashed.

Open the sequel, and the Republic is a mess, Revan upped and pulled a Flynn (running off, vanishing, and telling no one what in hell he was doing, leaving them with no closure or answers. At least Flynn didn't run off while Jordan was knocked up, though). The Sith are fighting with some nasty hit and run tactics, the Jedi are toast, everyone hates the Jedi and blames them for causing the War (even Exile who wasn't even there when the mess happened), the "allies" resemble a psych ward, and no matter what you choose, it doesn't matter. Exile then picks up the same idiot ball Revan was carrying and runs off into the unknown - again, the allies are treated like dirt and don't even get so much as a note.

It all ends with Exile dead, Revan worse than dead (remember those Jedi on the Star Forge level? Yeah.), Darth Cthulhu (the Emperor) pretty much stripping Revan's mind for parts (and Revan will CLAIM he was holding the Emperor back, but color me skeptical - Cthulhu does as he pleases, and all Darth Cthulhu really WANTS is to devour everything in the universe except himself), while the Sith charge in and lay waste to half the Republic anyway. Oh, and when you play through the MMO? It looks like no good deed of Revan's or Exiles mattered in the long run - Taris? GREAT example. And the guy who literally stabbed Exile in the back and got Revan captured gets to play Karma Houdini and bunk with the Jedi Knight character.

In the Tron universe? Flynn's dead and took Clu with him. The Grid has had all the beauty and wonder brutalized out of it, and will probably not trust Sam worth anything (Clu's supporters hate Users, and those who fought against Clu probably resent Flynn for leaving them to hang). Tronzler? Who knows? Even in the best case scenario, he's going to be overheating his processor with massive amounts of guilt. We have no idea what became of Beck or Yori. The Encom boardroom was run by crooks for years so Alan and Sam will be mucking out the proverbial Augean stables. Quorra is in a whole new world, but she's lost everything, and will never truly be part of digital or analog. Alan and Roy get no answers, only the news that it was too late and all their work was for nothing. It looks like Dillinger Sr has either merged with Master Control like some nasty twist on Ma3a's concept, or Master Control 2.0 is manipulating Dillinger Jr. into some dirty work. Either way, we've got a problem. And Sam will be spending the rest of his life cleaning up and atoning for mistakes he never made.

Overall? As Tron 3 opens, the situation is horribly bleak already. We're going to need something more like of the Old Republic or ROTJ or even the Thrawn Trilogy to dig us out.

It's an entire universe in there, one we created, but it's beyond us now. Really. It's outgrown us. You know, every time you shut off your computer...do you know what you're doing? Have you ever reformatted a hard drive? Deleted old software? Destroyed an entire universe?"

-- Jet Bradley, Tron: Ghost in the Machine on why being a User isn't necessarily a good thing.

Kat
User

on Wednesday, December, 19, 2012 6:37 PM
Traahn Wrote:I'm glad they want to re-vamp and not re-use T:L assets. I hope it means they are going to visually remember the original movie (the franchise's roots/foundation) a little more than they did. Circuits-, vehicles-, physics-, colors-, environments-wise.

After watching the Oblivion trailer, I'm starting to think Kosinski isn't aware that there are tons of colors in a color wheel. Cold, bleak, bland, washed-out, three to four colors max seems to be his M.O... which is unfortunate, imo, and my opinion only, since I know some here like that T:L: uses about four colors max and has black skies. I hope T3 re-introduces the use of more colors than blue, yellow, orange, white and black.

They need Tron back with a large role... since the movie is called Tron, afterall. Rinzler needs to stay gone. Quorra needs to get back into a computer pronto.

In T82, programs are either blue or red (with the exception of Clu). Even Bit's either blue or red. Black was like a way of life, considering that they blacked out anything that was too hard to put detail onto, and I figured the darkness in T:L was a tribute to that*.

I don't especially want to see an 80s aesthetic in a film set in the 21st century. It was great back then because you could imagine that's what the computer world likely looked like back then, but these days I would expect it to have the more streamlined look. They definitely need to make it look less like the real world (RAIN???????????) The fuck???) but I can't say I want it to look completely different-- otherwise it wouldn't be even remotely cohesive.

*http://www.moviepicturedb.com/picture/26c75515?qid=1
http://www.moviepicturedb.com/picture/9feeff79?qid=1
http://www.moviepicturedb.com/picture/c2e17906?qid=1
http://www.moviescreenshots.blogspot.com/2006/09/tron-1982.html

J Wrote: And Sam will be spending the rest of his life cleaning up and atoning for mistakes he never made.

Yeah, that's precisely why I argue that Alan maybe should've left well enough alone. Sam wasn't all that happy before, but at least he was living his life his own way, in the best way he knew how. Now he's going to feel like he has to fix everything... and ultimately? It's not even remotely his responsibility.

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Traahn
User

on Wednesday, December, 19, 2012 8:13 PM
Do a Google image search for "tron legacy" and see the hundreds of straight results of that cold greenish-blue color. Slightly exaggeratedly speaking, that's pretty much all I remember of Tron Legacy's color palette. T82 was warmer, which I appreciated.

T:L's cold, bleak world and vistas feels empty and unfinished to me (especially in scenes like solar sailer one). T82 at least had sunset type of colors on the horizon to add some color to the skies and warmth to the movie... at times. I still know many here at the Sector rather enjoy and prefer the unwavering cold bleak world of T:L. That's cool... it's all just preferences.

T3 can have more interesting worlds, imo, by incorporating more T82-style intracies and details, along with additional coloring; and can easily do so without making it look like it was made in 1982. More color, and incorporating warmer colors for variety is a start; it doesn't have to to mimic T82's color scheme to the T. T:L's 1.5 hours of the same cold color scheme got old to me. I'm somewhat fine with it for one movie, but I can't take another 1.5 hours of the same in T3.

I also enjoyed T82's intricate bleeps and blips of light (some with sound) woven into practically every scene; many intentional, some technical artifacts. I'm mainly referring to the intentional ones, but either way, they made the environment more interesting and more computer-worldly, imo. T:L's sets 'themselves' were pretty static throughout. All of the light strips and panels in T:L had perfectly steady illumination, with no blips... General Electric and the power company would be proud!

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

MCPcomputer
User

on Wednesday, December, 19, 2012 8:51 PM

This is great news ! Wow I'm excited!!

the question is.. will Kevin Flynn be in this one??
i really hope so!!

abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

"I want him in the games until he dies playing" -MCP
The Grid a Physical Frontier funny Tron Videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMViP_QtZ8

LWSrocks2
User

on Thursday, December, 20, 2012 6:26 PM
As for the discussion about story; I think that we'll have Quorra feeling out of place and homesick, wanting to go back to the grid. Obviously, returning to Kevin's system is out of the question, so Sam pleads to Alan to give them access to the Encom computers. Yada yada, big operation, we find out that research and development on the Shiva lasers have advanced greatly, and a giant laser apparatus is no longer needed for digitization. (I feel like making Shiva lasers more portable would open up a lot of doors for the story later on.) Sam and Quorra go into Encom's system, which is, of course, largely different looking from Flynn's grid and probably closer to the T82 design ideas.

Obviously, Encom's grid would be connected to the internet. I would imagine the internet's relation to the grid being a quite literal information superhighway; a giant street with a gate, through which data trains would cross in and out of. Programs that require internet access can ride out into the superhighway, which would take them to a giant city where popular sites are personified as buildings. The main people navigating the city wouldn't be programs, but browsers, which the users control and when they go to a website, the browser physically walks into the building and accesses whatever must be accessed.

I imagine a good conflict would not be MCP2 or anything of the sort, but a smaller threat. Perhaps, a virus that is similar to Abraxas that gets in through the internet. I don't actually want Dillinger Jr. to be the main villain of the sequel. I want Dillinger Jr. to be used sparingly in various sequences throughout the movie, hinting to a much bigger threat in a third movie, which will bring back various threats and conflicts from the previous two.

mastercilinder
User

on Friday, December, 21, 2012 1:37 AM
I'm not going to get into what I hope the plot is about.

I do want to mention that I'm really happy Mr. Kosinski wants a good script in order to return . . . but that makes me wonder if they'll just crank out a script and just grab another director (I hope not).

(Oh, um . . . I'm back and stuff . . .again)where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

LWSrocks2
User

on Friday, December, 21, 2012 8:56 PM
You know, one thing that would be interesting, is say in the next Tron movie, Sam and Quorra team up with Tron and some other security program, fighting off a virus that has randomly appeared in the Encom grid. What if we were to discover that Dillinger Jr. made the virus, and then created the other security program to fight it off so that he'd look impressive to the board... I don't know, it's not relevant to the current discussion but I thought it was an interesting idea.

zodiac brave
User

on Tuesday, January, 01, 2013 11:31 AM
i would hope that the story of T3, while obviously having a focus on technology, would actually go more into the philosophies and repercussions of the world that is the grid. not so much about it's evolution in terms of "kewl noo tek", but in regards to the aspects of spontaneously created life and what it means to have been the humans who created this world. i would hope alan bradley would play a large role, maybe in the capacity of trying to find a way to reconstitute flynn.

if by "empire strikes back", he means darker tone and riskier themes, this would fit. of course there needs to be action, but the tron franchise has never needed to go the route of epic battles of warriors fighting. a more subtle enemy would fit the themes set up by the first 2 flicks.

you're messing with my zen thing, man...

Jason.exe
User

on Sunday, January, 06, 2013 5:46 PM
KingJ.exe Wrote:
A fantastic example of what could happen should they decide to merge the '82/2.0 scheme with the Legacy scheme was seen in the latest TRON: Uprising episode, with the "Compressed Space." Way cool.

Which Episode is this?

HooDooMan
User

on Sunday, January, 06, 2013 6:15 PM
Jason.exe Wrote:
KingJ.exe Wrote:
A fantastic example of what could happen should they decide to merge the '82/2.0 scheme with the Legacy scheme was seen in the latest TRON: Uprising episode, with the "Compressed Space." Way cool.

Which Episode is this?

Jason.exe, the "Compressed Space" was seen in the episode entitled "The Stranger" which aired on December 17, 2012 here in the United States (taken from the TRON: Uprising Wikipedia page).

Argent
User

on Sunday, January, 06, 2013 7:32 PM
LWSrocks2 Wrote:You know, one thing that would be interesting, is say in the next Tron movie, Sam and Quorra team up with Tron and some other security program, fighting off a virus that has randomly appeared in the Encom grid. What if we were to discover that Dillinger Jr. made the virus, and then created the other security program to fight it off so that he'd look impressive to the board... I don't know, it's not relevant to the current discussion but I thought it was an interesting idea.

Personally, I'd like to see a setup where Sam butts heads with Dillinjr in the real world (clashing personalities, bad history between their fathers, etc.), then must return to the Grid, where he needs to work with a program written by Dillinjr to succeed. Over the course of the movie, he comes to respect for this program, and by association, Dillinjr himself.
(I've always felt that, at least the way they were portrayed in the original Tron, programs were reflections of their creators' inner essence, their higher (or in Sark's case, baser) selves, and I'd enjoy seeing Tron 3 use that device as part of a character arc that way.)abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Kat
User

on Sunday, January, 06, 2013 10:52 PM
Argent Wrote:Personally, I'd like to see a setup where Sam butts heads with Dillinjr in the real world (clashing personalities, bad history between their fathers, etc.), then must return to the Grid, where he needs to work with a program written by Dillinjr to succeed. Over the course of the movie, he comes to respect for this program, and by association, Dillinjr himself.
(I've always felt that, at least the way they were portrayed in the original Tron, programs were reflections of their creators' inner essence, their higher (or in Sark's case, baser) selves, and I'd enjoy seeing Tron 3 use that device as part of a character arc that way.)

*thumbs up* (but you knew I'd say that.) I've never been 100% certain to what extent Sam and Dillinjr could ever work together-- not sure if they could really become friends at all, or if they would always just be too different to do more than barely get on-- but I'd sure as hell like to see them try. Or rather, have to try, as it's probably unlikely to happen without them being forced into it somehow (I imagine Dillinjr might not give a shit about Sam and can just ignore him, but it's probably Sam who would be openly antagonistic).

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

deeahchur
User

on Saturday, January, 19, 2013 2:34 PM
For TR3N, they definitely need to continue the Dillinger tie-in that was included in Legacy.

/ / S C A N N I N G
/ / Incompatable Program detected
/ / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
"Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."

laphtiya
User

on Thursday, January, 24, 2013 3:33 AM
Kat Wrote:*thumbs up* (but you knew I'd say that.) I've never been 100% certain to what extent Sam and Dillinjr could ever work together-- not sure if they could really become friends at all, or if they would always just be too different to do more than barely get on-- but I'd sure as hell like to see them try. Or rather, have to try, as it's probably unlikely to happen without them being forced into it somehow (I imagine Dillinjr might not give a shit about Sam and can just ignore him, but it's probably Sam who would be openly antagonistic).

A comment such as "giving away our software for free, disappeared with Kevin Flynn" suggests to me that these two will not see eye to eye. I wouldn't be surprised if Dillenger Jr is more like his father that first glanced. I get the feeling he is also "very very sneaky" just like his father, he kinda oozes that in the scene I didn't like him at all (not the actor or the character I just thought "yeah, he isn't a good guy").

Kat
User

on Thursday, January, 24, 2013 9:02 AM
laphtiya Wrote:A comment such as "giving away our software for free, disappeared with Kevin Flynn" suggests to me that these two will not see eye to eye. I wouldn't be surprised if Dillenger Jr is more like his father that first glanced. I get the feeling he is also "very very sneaky" just like his father, he kinda oozes that in the scene I didn't like him at all (not the actor or the character I just thought "yeah, he isn't a good guy").
That line bugged me as well when I first started writing about him, and I thought it might scrap my entire idea, until I realized: he's merely stating fact. That doesn't necessarily mean it's his own opinion (although certainly Mackey et al would see it that way and he'd look like the good little boy toeing the company line)... and the condescension in his voice could either be for Alan, or could signify what he thinks of the idea. Dillinjr quite obviously hasn't drunk the company kool-aid... how you wish to interpret that is up to you.
order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

laphtiya
User

on Thursday, January, 24, 2013 10:11 AM
Kat Wrote:That line bugged me as well when I first started writing about him, and I thought it might scrap my entire idea, until I realized: he's merely stating fact. That doesn't necessarily mean it's his own opinion (although certainly Mackey et al would see it that way and he'd look like the good little boy toeing the company line)... and the condescension in his voice could either be for Alan, or could signify what he thinks of the idea. Dillinjr quite obviously hasn't drunk the company kool-aid... how you wish to interpret that is up to you.

The whole scene speaks alot about his character, notice how much command and control he had over the system AND the board? The chairman just seemed to bend over backwards and accept what Dillinjr had to say. They all seem to just accept the idea to say it was all "part of the plan" it shows how much weight his opinion carries. I agree that he seems to have this aloof attitude with the others almost as if he has better things to do, and how he casually makes a call when the rest are panicing. It just says to me he's playing ball until he is chairman.

Kat
User

on Thursday, January, 24, 2013 7:33 PM
laphtiya Wrote:The whole scene speaks alot about his character, notice how much command and control he had over the system AND the board? The chairman just seemed to bend over backwards and accept what Dillinjr had to say. They all seem to just accept the idea to say it was all "part of the plan" it shows how much weight his opinion carries. I agree that he seems to have this aloof attitude with the others almost as if he has better things to do, and how he casually makes a call when the rest are panicing. It just says to me he's playing ball until he is chairman.

Oh, yeah. I have a feeling the dude's real smart. A lot smarter than his old man. And my favorite part? He just decides when HE'S done with the meeting and walks out. He just... gets up and walks out, doesn't give a shit. I love that. Now that I think of it, I wonder if he's got Mackey's number somewhere, which may be part of the reason Mackey puts up with him.

I usually see him and Sam as mirrors of each other. I think I argued once somewhere here that they could've easily kept the "Legacy" idea and made the film about Dillinjr rather than Sam. I mean, think about it-- we've got this guy who works for Encom, wants to make amends for his dad's asshattery. Then, hell, we get a cameo in a scene or two from this rich upstart kid with an attitude but no direction, who's trying to sabotage the company Dillinjr's working so hard for, and... oh yeah, I could run with that.

Shit, I could run with it big-time. By the end, you'd cheer for Dillinjr and hate that Flynn kid, if I wanted to take it that way. (I'd love to write it, just to throw everyone for a loop, but wow that's a way bigger project than I want to mess with any time soon. Say you take Dillinjr, who's trying to do right by the company after his dad... the Digitization project is still ongoing, complete with Lora [Gibbs may've retired, he may still be some sort of outside advisor]... Dillinjr gets into it because he thinks it'll send the company skyrocketing to the top... rezzes in for some reason... adventures ensue. If you wanna add Sam we could do it one of two ways: 1. Dillinjr ends up have to work WITH him, perhaps for access to some kind of code Flynn had that can repair a problem [this is the kinder, gentler, softer version], or to really twist it, 2. Sam's bitter against the company 'cause of his dad and will do anything it takes to bring it down... Or, shit, if you want, let's say it's Mackey who's guilty-as-sin corrupt, and he figures that with Dillinjr's daddy being who he is, Dillinjr's the same way... only maybe Dillinjr's a bit more Tron than he is Sark and... yup.)

I mean, you've read this, right? http://tron-sector.com/forums/default.aspx?a=top&id=438403 Kind of my ideas of what Dillinjr's thought process might be during the meeting. (It pretty much makes almost every argument I make for him. And what's more... it works. Disney could throw most viewers for a loop if they wanted to)

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

laphtiya
User

on Tuesday, January, 29, 2013 10:59 AM
My main concern with Tron 3 is that well Tron 2 did okay but it wasn't massive, Disney didn't really push it all that too much and they've bothered less with Uprising. This is the third (4th if you count uprising) instalment of the Tron franchise, how are they going to attract NEW fans? Because lets face it doesn't matter how many times we all go see it or how much we give it the thumbs up, if the numbers are small this could be the last of Tron. They've basically got this last chance to hit the nail on the head in terms of, continuation of the story without relying too much on Tron 1 and 2. And bringing in something where you can watch it without having seen 1 and 2 without isolating the current fan base. I really wouldn't like to be the guys writing and directing this movie. If it was going to hit anywhere I would rather it hit on the side of generating a new fan base and give us another 3 movies of Tron.

Just my concerns.

cluless
User

on Tuesday, January, 29, 2013 6:29 PM
Kat, you and I seem on the same wave length about a few things pertaining to a potential sequel. I was just thinking that everyone expects Dillinger Junior to be the next bad guy. Just cos his dad was the villain in T1, doesn't mean he will be.

Let's not forget they added the sneak peaks at the end of T2 : The Next Day. There would be no point doing a movie that in some way didn't follow on from that.

Also, Quorra being in the real world, the ISOs were going to redefine civilization according to Flynn. I think perhaps it could all have some kind of religious backdrop to the saga. Users being looked upon as gods? Creators?

I've said it before and I'll say it again (sorry), I want to see less of the real world in the computer (as Kat says "Rain", rocket thrust on the recognizers, and a proper good old de-rezzing effect like in T1). It was too real, the computer world is something totally different and can have that element of magic, the unknown. And, Sam Flynn didn't have any user powers.

At the end of the day, I like a happy ending. I want Flynn back in the real world, on his Ducati (shaven preferably! lol) and re-discovering that boyish humour and a lust for life. That was one of my disappointments from Legacy that Flynns character was so different, not a fighter, the sparkle had gone. I think the look from the movie made him look older than he is. Looked cool in Iron Man.

Anyway, that's my piece said for now.

On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy!

Kat
User

on Tuesday, January, 29, 2013 6:54 PM
cluless Wrote:At the end of the day, I like a happy ending. I want Flynn back in the real world, on his Ducati (shaven preferably! lol) and re-discovering that boyish humour and a lust for life. That was one of my disappointments from Legacy that Flynns character was so different, not a fighter, the sparkle had gone. I think the look from the movie made him look older than he is. Looked cool in Iron Man.

Anyway, that's my piece said for now.

Oh, no worries! I've got fic for that too. LOL. (I might just maybe spend too much time writing. It's rumored. )

http://tron-sector.com/forums/default.aspx?a=top&id=439658

And since you want a *really* happy ending: http://tron-sector.com/forums/default.aspx?a=top&id=437744on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

FirstPrevious Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 Joseph Kosinski: Tron 3 Will Be Our "Empire Strikes Back"