Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Home Theaters, What are you watching Tron: Legacy on? Post your setup.

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 9 PagesNextLast
DrP
User

RE: Home Theaters, What are you watching Tron: Legacy on? Post your setup.

on Sunday, September, 25, 2011 9:29 AM
Kaisergrendel-

Once again... very cool stuff. Let me ask you some questions bout your computer model there. First off, when I saw it I actually thought I was looking at an actual picture of the room! It must have taken some time to build the models, apply appropriate textures and so forth. A+ job!

What software did you use to do this? When I did a "pre-vis" render of the room I used Google sketchup. I chose this because I didn't have to much experience with 3D CAD programs and it seemed easy to operate with a quick learning curve for basic functions. The other thing I liked about Google sketchup was that they have a very large and easily search-able model database that other users have submitted. Oh, and did I mention it was free.... How were you able to get the textures to match up so closely? Also, were you designing the models yourself or were you importing?

Unfortunately, I never made any photo-realistic renders of my room with the program. The pictures of my computer simulations are essentially just screen shots of the rough models while running the program. Basically I was using it to measure things like speaker and screen distances and just getting an overall feel of the room space and placement of the speakers. I didn't plot things down to the final inch (other than actual room dimensions) because I new that during calibration I would be moving things around. I think in your room the render was more closely associated with the final look so it was more important to be exact. I would say "mission accomplished!"

You really did put a lot of effort into this you may want to show it off a bit to the "home theater" community as well. I am a member of blu-ray.com and they have home theater galleries and forums related solely to this kind of thing. You may want to post of this there, I know it would garner a lot of interest, especially the room build and equipment.
order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Sunday, September, 25, 2011 12:05 PM
DrP Wrote:What software did you use to do this? When I did a "pre-vis" render of the room I used Google sketchup. I chose this because I didn't have to much experience with 3D CAD programs and it seemed easy to operate with a quick learning curve for basic functions. The other thing I liked about Google sketchup was that they have a very large and easily search-able model database that other users have submitted. Oh, and did I mention it was free.... How were you able to get the textures to match up so closely? Also, were you designing the models yourself or were you importing?

Yeah from what I understand google sketch seems to be quite popular with DIY'ers. Google doesn't seem to be able to do anything wrong With enough time it might supercede more established programs like the one I used.

I used a program called 3Ds max, which is popular with architecture. I picked it up studying for my interior design degree. Some textures like paint and tiles, I use the material editor within 3Ds max to create, and try my best to visually match them. Others like timber are more organic and frequently require textures made from photo references. Those I can make myself, especially if accuracy is crucial, or I can visit a material library and search for the closest approximate material.

I always construct the models I use. Imported models almost never give me the specificity I want

DrP Wrote:Unfortunately, I never made any photo-realistic renders of my room with the program. The pictures of my computer simulations are essentially just screen shots of the rough models while running the program. Basically I was using it to measure things like speaker and screen distances and just getting an overall feel of the room space and placement of the speakers. I didn't plot things down to the final inch (other than actual room dimensions) because I new that during calibration I would be moving things around. I think in your room the render was more closely associated with the final look so it was more important to be exact. I would say "mission accomplished!"

Exactly, we used the programs that most suited our purposes

DrP Wrote:You really did put a lot of effort into this you may want to show it off a bit to the "home theater" community as well. I am a member of blu-ray.com and they have home theater galleries and forums related solely to this kind of thing. You may want to post of this there, I know it would garner a lot of interest, especially the room build and equipment.

Thanks, I might do that. My posts in other places aren't getting much love :P

DrP
User

on Wednesday, September, 28, 2011 7:57 AM
So I got my two new component racks yesterday. Assembled the first one with no problems and then half way through the 2nd piece I notice that they left the threading out of one of the legs. I called the company up and they are sending out a replacement but that will take a little while. I also got my Rega turntable. I plan to put all this together and post some pictures soon (I hope they get that replacement out to me in the next week or so).

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Wednesday, September, 28, 2011 10:44 AM
DrP Wrote:So I got my two new component racks yesterday. Assembled the first one with no problems and then half way through the 2nd piece I notice that they left the threading out of one of the legs. I called the company up and they are sending out a replacement but that will take a little while. I also got my Rega turntable. I plan to put all this together and post some pictures soon (I hope they get that replacement out to me in the next week or so).

Waiting for the pictures!abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

DrP
User

on Thursday, September, 29, 2011 10:50 AM
Kaisergrendel Wrote:
DrP Wrote:So I got my two new component racks yesterday. Assembled the first one with no problems and then half way through the 2nd piece I notice that they left the threading out of one of the legs. I called the company up and they are sending out a replacement but that will take a little while. I also got my Rega turntable. I plan to put all this together and post some pictures soon (I hope they get that replacement out to me in the next week or so).

Waiting for the pictures!

Just got the email from the company about the replacement legs. The tracking number says the package should arrive on Tuesday. I'm guessing I can set it up that night or the next day. I will post pictures as soon as it is set up!

END OF LINE

DrP
User

on Sunday, October, 09, 2011 2:25 PM
Ok, the stuff came in, I put it all together and rearranged the entire setup. Took some time but I snapped some photos and updated my home theater webpage on blu-ray.com:
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenio
I essentially replaced my original component rack with 2 shorter ones. This gave me much more shelf space so I could put my receiver and laserdisc player in the rack (it wouldn't fit in the previous one). Overall I am much happier with this design and I like how the components are lower an not "towering" high.

I also was able to put some more components in including tape, VHS, and another CD player. Getting the receiver off of the floor is also nice. There is a 1 1/2 inch clearance between the rack and receiver so I hope there will not be a heat issue. I have two mini fans placed there so hopefully the accessory cooling will do it's job.

-
-
-
-
-
-
My new Rega Planar 3 Turntable (Rega RB300 Tonearm. Dynavector 10X5 cartridge. Monster RCA connector upgrades.)

If you want to check out all the pictures you can go to blu-ray.com. Comments/suggestions are welcome!

order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Tuesday, October, 11, 2011 10:02 AM
That looks a lot better than before. Everything looks like it belongs there now I can't imagine owning that much AV hardware, I'm happy enough with just my PS3 and standalone receiver xDabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Moses613
User

on Wednesday, October, 12, 2011 12:38 PM
I have no TV nor, of course, a theatrical setup at my place, but that doesn't mean my friends don't, and they accommodate my monthly plasma-screen watching buy letting me use the following at their pad:

1080P TV with the video coming from a blu-ray player. To take it 3D would be the ultimate, but for now I can live with the 2-D since the home version of this movie just POPS compared to even the theatrical IMAX experience since it's a dark movie, and theatrical 3D isn't known for being too bright. The details got lost in the theatrical version, such as the cliffs as seen when Quorroa takes Sam on his escape ride to Flynn's safehouse.

Alos, I listen to the audio through a set of Audio Technica HD4- headphones, through which I have noted some new aural thing about the movie every time I use them during a watching. This movie I have to HIGHLY recommend the use of headphones with. You're missing half the movie if you don't. Movies like this are studio-mixed on headphones, so listening to them with headphones is the only way to hear it the way the engineer who so expertly mixed it and intended it to be heard, before it leaves a conventional speaker cone and re-mixes by bouncing off the walls before it reaches your ears.

DrP
User

on Wednesday, October, 12, 2011 3:24 PM
Moses613 Wrote:I have no TV nor, of course, a theatrical setup at my place, but that doesn't mean my friends don't, and they accommodate my monthly plasma-screen watching buy letting me use the following at their pad:

1080P TV with the video coming from a blu-ray player. To take it 3D would be the ultimate, but for now I can live with the 2-D since the home version of this movie just POPS compared to even the theatrical IMAX experience since it's a dark movie, and theatrical 3D isn't known for being too bright. The details got lost in the theatrical version, such as the cliffs as seen when Quorroa takes Sam on his escape ride to Flynn's safehouse.

Alos, I listen to the audio through a set of Audio Technica HD4- headphones, through which I have noted some new aural thing about the movie every time I use them during a watching. This movie I have to HIGHLY recommend the use of headphones with. You're missing half the movie if you don't. Movies like this are studio-mixed on headphones, so listening to them with headphones is the only way to hear it the way the engineer who so expertly mixed it and intended it to be heard, before it leaves a conventional speaker cone and re-mixes by bouncing off the walls before it reaches your ears.

Moses613-
I'm glad you get to enjoy the movie regardless of not having a TV. Sometimes it can be more fun to watch with other people anyway! As for your recommendation of listening with headphones I'm going to respectfully disagree. The audio on the T:L blu-ray is a wonderful 7.1 mix which you essentially completely lose with stereo (2.0) headphones. I think the problem is that many will listen with poor speakers, poor calibration of those speakers, poor setup/room acoustics and poor amplifiers. Descent headphones WILL give you better sound, but only if your using poor stereo equipment. Not only do full fledged speakers have better ability to produce accurate sound, but they also give much more power so you can actually "feel" the music. Also, having a descent subwoofer (I actually use two) definitely is great asset. When that recognizer flies over you can feel the rumble in your stomach and entire body... sorry but no headphone is going to reproduce that, not even the over $1000 dollar ones.

I don't know what kind of equipment your friends are using, perhaps that is why you get a better experience from the headphones but I would recommend demo'ing the movie in a descent home theater (minimum of $5k, but something over $10k definitely better) and I think you will agree with me. Sure, headphones are a great and inexpensive way to go but they really top out very quickly and can't compete with high end systems. If they did, all the audiophiles/videophiles would be wearing headphones listening to their movies.

In conclusion, this is not meant to "bash" headphones or your enjoyment of Tron. Just the opposite, I congratulate you on seeking out Tron with friends, varied listening modes, etc. I welcome you to post pictures of your headphones,... all is welcome! Maybe you can give some tips on what kind of headphones are best for movies like tron. I have read posts on here where people say they watch it on their laptop computers and they use headphones. I think they would appreciate your experiences.

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Wednesday, October, 12, 2011 9:19 PM
Moses613 Wrote:Movies like this are studio-mixed on headphones, so listening to them with headphones is the only way to hear it the way the engineer who so expertly mixed it and intended it to be heard,

I don't know where you got that information from, but that is almost certainly never the case. It is a poor, poor way to monitor sound that is primarily intended to be played through theatre systems with some degree of room reflection. The LFE channel would most certainly be innaccurate, and surround channels will end up softer and too diffuse if mixed through headphones but ported through a cineplex.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Kaisergrendel
User

on Thursday, October, 27, 2011 11:44 AM
Just wanted to announce that the Epson 8350 projector I ordered just arrived today - but the screen is 2-3 weeks away >_> That's what you get for importing from US, but the prices are just too good over there! Can't wait to watch T:L again on it.

DrP, I notice you have an 8700UB. Does it perform to your liking?order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

DrP
User

on Friday, October, 28, 2011 3:10 PM
Kaisergrendel Wrote:Just wanted to announce that the Epson 8350 projector I ordered just arrived today - but the screen is 2-3 weeks away >_> That's what you get for importing from US, but the prices are just too good over there! Can't wait to watch T:L again on it.

DrP, I notice you have an 8700UB. Does it perform to your liking?

Kaisergrendel-
Congrats on the new purchase. As for you question,.. simply... Yes. I am very satisfied with the performance of the 8700ub. There is a really great review of your 8350 at the following link:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-8350/index.phpMy experience with epson has been really great. I think the 8350 is really a bargain and being $800 cheaper than the 8700 makes it an excellent bargain.

I can't comment directly on the 8350 but I can give you a couple of hints on the the 8700ub and I'm sure some of it will translate well to the the 8350.

1. Make sure the unit is not to close to you listening position. The fact that these have a descent size fan blowing creates a substantial amount of noise. It is not too bad but the unit really needs to be over a meter (ideally 2) from anybody's head. This can be significantly improved if the unit is put in "economy" mode as the fan runs at a much slower speed. Obviously, the image won't be as bright but in a darkened room this should not be a problem (at least with the 8700ub on a 150" screen).

2. Continuing on noise, the dynamic iris will make a noise when adjusting. Depending on the setting this can be quite loud. I have mine set to a slow adjust speed which helps.

3. The unit will obviously need calibration based on the lighting conditions of the room, throw distance, light mode, etc. However, the THX setting on the 8700ub is almost right on straight out of the box. I used an avia calibration disk with 3 color filters and basically made very little adjustment other than the brightness to get it to room lighting conditions.

The above are the major considerations that need to be addressed as they can ruin the viewing experience substantially if not addressed.

I love projectors as there is no way to get the screen size up. I think you are going to have to ask yourself whether you want to ceiling mount the unit or mount it on table in front of you. From the look of your previous room pictures you may want to place it on a table in front of the couch and you can build an enclosure that would minimize the noise produced by the unit. I would not normally suggest building a specialized enclosure but clearly you have some crazy carpentry skills from the look of the work you have done on that room!

Cable management is of course another issue. If ceiling mounted the best place to run the wires are in the ceiling but that could be difficult in a finished room. I used a 1 1/2" PVC pipe from the front of the room to the projector mount area. It terminated in an electric outlet box. That way the power and connection needs were both taken care of and I could run cables through the pipe in the future (who knows what kind of cable will be used in 10 years when HDMI is retired for something better).

What size screen are you ordering and what is the throw distance going to be?
When you get your stuff, definitely post some pictures!

Home Theater pics: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenioorder abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Saturday, October, 29, 2011 12:21 PM
Thanks! I didn't think I'd buy one so soon but the 38" HDTV was *really* letting down the awesome sound system. Thanks for the link to the review, I've read everything I could find but this really is the best one I've seen.

1. I'm right with you there DrP, the DLP projector noise I heard during my HT opening night drove me halfway nuts, so it's one of my top things to address. I thought about building an enclosure, but I've heard the Eco mode for myself and it's quieter than the PS3 even. This including the PS3 being 7 feet away while the PJ is right in front of me, so I'm not considering it at the moment. Besides, building one without HVAC access is a gamble since the air extraction itself may cause more noise than it fixes.

I'm not a brightness freak - I usually like my screens a little darker than usual since it's less glaring, and the Eco mode seems plenty bright to me.

2. I'm quite sensitive to dynamic brightness changes so I may actually leave the auto Iris off. I still see many complaints about that even with the high speed setting. My requirement for black levels is quite modest, and the 8350 seems to have equal if not better blacks compared to commercial theatres so I'm quite content with that.

On that note, from my photography experience I know that Canon makes lenses with virtually silent (AND virtually instant) aperture shifts while Nikon lenses are still very audible, about half the volume of a full shutter click. I wonder if Epson could one day use this technology to produce silent irises. That said, the aperture/shutter designs are probably vastly different and incompatible by necessity.

3. I had thought about getting a colorimeter but dropped it due to budget. Since the epsons really are great out of the box, I'm going to settle for calibrating it with the built in bluray THX tests, then upgrade if I feel the itch to.

Putting the projector on the table is a non-option. Not only is it dangerous for the projector from spilt drinks and such, it takes up almost half the coffee table top. What I'm going to do is mount it on the rear wall instead, just under the picture railing. There, it falls right into the lens's sweet spot and has a chance to blend into the decor. Cable management should be a breeze since I all I have to do is route the cable along the top of the rail. I did run into a hiccup with the 28AWG cable not being able to transmit 1080p over 30ft, so I'm ordering a 22AWG one from Monoprice, even paying the $45 UPS shipping for it. Nothing seems to go smoothly for me!

http://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-ECSB-Component-Shelf-Accessories/dp/B000EGI7V4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318226712&sr=8-1
This mount was highly recommended by 8350 owners, but I can't get it since it can't be shipped to over here in Australia. It was a disappointment at first but then I found a local dealer that sells what seems to be the *perfect* mount for the 8350/8700:

http://www.shelvingshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=556
Note the 45cmx40cm dimensions (about the same as the PJ footprint), white finish and matte silver mounting brackets. For once I'm glad I didn't buy something from the US because this is such a better fit.

I'll be getting a relatively small screen. Spent days measuring and measuring trying to squeeze out as much space between the two floorstanders as I possibly could, and I got 67". 77" diagonal. With a viewing and throw distance of about 8.5 feet, that translates to a 36.5 degree viewing angle - just over the recommended THX minimum. With luck, I'll build a broadband trap behind the couch that doubles as a headrest, which will narrow the view distance to about 8 feet, closer to my desired 40 degree view angle. Coincidentally, this is the screen size I had when I rented the projector+screen.

I will most definitely post pictures when it's all set up Just in time for the Jurassic Park Bluray to arrive too.where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

DrP
User

on Saturday, October, 29, 2011 2:56 PM
Sounds like you have all your bases covered!

It sounds like the projector will be mounted on the back wall. If it is sitting on a shelf then that could add extra sound proofing as there will be a barrier between the projector and the listener.

I agree that I think you will most likely be very good with the brightness. The fact that the throw distance is only about 8 ft and the screen is under 80 inches should help significantly. I am guessing you got a "white" screen vs one of the darker "grey" ones. I use a screen with a gain rating of 1.4 and it is quite bright.

If you don't mind losing some of the dynamic iris ability then that certainly will eliminate the noise issue with the mechanism. I find that on close inspection it does help my 8700ub but it's a minor difference that most people would not notice unless you point it out.

I wouldn't go crazy with the color calibration. I think the thx discs are very good and as long as you have the tint color filter you get 95% of what a "professional" color calibration gets you. Once again, I used a 3 filter system for all the primary colors but I found making very small corrections from the out of the box thx setting. I have read numerous reviews on the 8700ub commenting on how close the thx setting is to ideal but I myself was not expecting this. Once again, the brightness and contrast you will need to adjust no matter what but that is the easiest setting to calibrate with any calibration disk, including the thx ones.

I can comment on the monoprice premium 22 AWG hdmi cable because that is what I own. I have the 30ft cable and it runs great without any signal loss. I have even put adapters on it which would theoretically degrade the signal even more than straight connection with the components and still no problem. You won't have any issues with signal quality with these cables.

One thing to note with the hdmi cable however is the stiffness. You will not be able to bend this around tight corners. It's as thick as a garden hose and very firm. At best it will take a 6 inch radius to make a 90 degree turn with it. Just keep that in mind as the back of the projection will not be able to be right up against a wall and if you plan to make lots of turns around corners this will be a major issue. Otherwise they are great cables and extremely cheap. Too bad you live in Australia as the shipping is a killer...

I looked at the mounting shelves that you had a links too, I think you will be find but it's going to be a very tight turn with the hdmi cable. I hope that it will be ok, but you may have to put the projector all the way to the front edge of the mount (which is not a problem). Both look good, I kind of like the look of the amazon one better in terms of the glass and the single wall mount, but I can see the other one looking good too, especially because it's white and will match the epson. The amazon one's have free shipping but I don't know if that applies to Australia?

Last is the screen,... The viewing angle of 36 degrees is essentially perfect and it is what the THX standard actually recommends (I think officially it is 35 degrees) so you nailed that right on. You can always adjust the exact size a little bit with the lens on the epson. I think the viewing angle is the number one mistake that people make in their hometheaters. I completely understand this with LCD and plasma TV's and they simply do not come in large enough sizes but once you get into projectors this luckily is easily overcome!

Can't wait to see some pictures. Try to show some of how you ran that hdmi cable around the corners, that was a difficulty with my long run!

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Saturday, October, 29, 2011 6:42 PM
Yes, I'm hoping the shelf helps to quieten it some. On the other hand it might also cause the wall to resonate. I'll have to see xD

I actually got a da-lite High Contrast Matte White, which isn't so much white as an off white/slight grey, 1.1 gain. That's after considering the fact the average black levels and shutter blinds on the windows that won't block out a lot of light. I'm planning to install some roller blinds with blockout fabric, which will roll out over the existing blinds and help with the light isolation. When I rented the projector and screen before, the screen was so washed out in the day time it wasn't even watchable.

I watched The Thing just a few days ago in a commercial theatre, and tried to look out for black levels. True enough, what I saw was actually a very obvious grey, once you've been told to look for it. I hadn't ever noticed it before. I also found that after awhile it became hard to focus on the black levels and I just went back to watching the movie, so I'm quite sure I won't be bothered too much by not using the auto iris.

Yeah, I'll only start buying calibration gear if it really annoys me. On my computer I use a Spyder for calibration and I find it quite mandatory since displays really do exhibit a wide variation of responses. On the projector I'm not troubled by output requirements so I'll only do as much as much as is needed to get it looking pleasing to my eyes. How does one get the THX tint glasses anyway?

Nice to know about the monoprice 22AWG's!

Yeah, shame about the flexibility, it really won't help the look of the room unfortunately. It should be damn near impossible to install the projector on the wall with a 22AWG, so I'm also getting the "port savers" that monoprice sells. I'll need that both for the source and sink sides of the cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041913&p_id=2891&seq=1&format=2

Yeah the shipping is a b*tch. However local retailers are bigger b*tches and sell their cables for exooooorbitant prices. Even with the $45 shipping I'm getting a better deal than anything I can find here by far. It's why I buy the majority of my electronics overseas.

"Free shipping" on most US sites always implies within the US only. I learned the hard way xD I like this shelf design as it's discreet and able to blend in with the projector, and the size fit is so close it's going to look like part of the projector almost. As I mentioned before, the port savers are going to help me with the last length of that cable, so no worries.

Actually looking at the THX website, I'm pretty sure the 35 degree view angle is the *minimum* recommended.

I was able to shove the 28AWG cable into the existing conduits. Obviously with 22AWG that will be impossible, but I have few more tricks in mind to hide the runs. I'll show you once it's in.

Unforunately I can't get the view angle any wider just by zooming out the PJ, since the screen is a fixed size and the spillover will just get absorbed by the black borders :Pabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

DrP
User

on Saturday, October, 29, 2011 8:56 PM
Sounds nice. I think having the high contrast projector screen will come in very handy if you plan on doing any daytime watching. Luckily all my viewing is in a completely dark room so it doesn't matter to much for me (although there is a very minimal amount of light leak from a stained glass window that my mother designed especially for the room. I sometimes will use a half circle shade I made for the time when I want complete darkness during the day).

I use a higher gain screen but I also am using a throw distance of about 16-17 feet and on a much larger screen (150 inches diagonal). In other words, in the same circumstances my picture would be about 8 times as bright if I were at your distance and screen size (approx 4 times as bright for distance as well as 4 times as bright for screen size). Even though my projector may be brighter, it does not overcome the physical limitations of this setup. Hence forth I chose to go with a slightly higher reflective surface of 1.4 gain.

How was "The Thing." I am a fan of the first one with Kurt Russel. I actually got this on laserdisc recently (including Tron!) and I plan to watch it in the near future. As a laserdisc side note.... I just saw my laserdisc player on ebay for a selling price of $3400. I feel lucky for getting for a mere $400 which included shipping!

The truth of the matter is that I really don't go to movies as invariably the experience is below what I get in my home theater. IMAX competes but unless it's a really big screen and I get the best seat in the house even that really doesn't give a performance like my calibrated system. A lot of people I talk to don't believe me but it's true. At the 35 degree viewing angle that thx recommends your eye essentially can't pick up anything more than 1080p resolution and often times the theaters will run their picture dark to conserve their lamps (they simply cheap and because people don't know any better, nobody complains). I remember an article of how James Cameron sent out a letter to theaters to have them turn up the lamps! And don't get me started on the fact that the prices are outragous and I always seem to get some tall guy sitting in front of me blocking my view or some kids kicking the back of my seat! Last movie I saw at the theater was Tron: Legacy!

As for your THX calibration glasses question. You should be able to purchase them from the thx website. They cost under 10 buck with shipping to the US, but I don't know if they ship overseas. Another place you can try looking is someplace like ebay. Unfortunately without the glasses the only thing you can calibrate is the brightness and contrast. The other option is to get a copy of the AVIA DVD and you can buy the 3 colored tinted glasses online. This is the option I went with as I wanted to calibrate all 3 primary colors. Frankly, I think having the blue tints only is just fine and that is why the thx calibrations only have that.

I have a similar length HDMI extension from monoprice as well but I haven't used it yet. When I was reading doing the component racks I thought I would need one to stretch the cord but did not end up using it. I have ordered so much stuff from monoprice that it's ridiculous (probably well over 50 items!). The only thing you risk is that the signal might degrade again on the lower gage HDMI cable. If that happens you may have to buy a hdmi signal booster. Monoprice sells these as well and that would most definitly solve your problem. That would also mean you could run 2 lower gauge hdmi cables of half length and have the signal booster in the middle. That will need an extra power outlet as well along the way.

All this sounds cool. Can't wait to see it!

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Sunday, October, 30, 2011 12:34 AM
Yes, ideally I'd have painted the entire place jet black and used a plain white screen, but such is compromise I was going to get the da-lite video spectra screen (1.5 gain), but the shipping on that was about $50 more for no apparent reason. Nice to hear your family contributing to the room too

I liked The Thing (2011), I was a fan of both the original Thing and the lead actress. It actually serves as a prequel to the older movie so there's some nice continuity going on. I did miss the animatronics and practical effects, but I still thought the CGI Thing was quite impressive. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10, bumped up to 8 just for having Mary Elizabeth Winstead in it :P

That was a sweet deal you got for the LD player. I got my Denon AVR for $700, down from the RRP of $2400, but that isn't so impressive when you consider that the same unit was selling for less than half of that in the US, and it was already a 3 year old model when I got it second hand. The Epson 8350 (TW-3200 here) has an RRP of about $2400 as well, and I see stores still selling it for $1800-2200, whereas I bought mine from Adorama for $1129. It's bloody annoying the prices we get here, I tell ya.

Actually commercial cinemas have been my benchmark for the longest time. Now that my HT is up it's the best system I've seen or heard, and I really wonder how common HT's like ours are when people still go to the movies in droves. Don't get me started on HTIB's with all 5 speakers arranged in a straight line! That said, the brightness in regular cinemas is very much to my liking, until a pair of 3D glasses are tacked on. The sound isn't that great compared to what I get at home, but I envy freedom to crank up the volume at any time of the day without worrying about disturbing others. I also found myself missing the large room reverb you get with cineplexes. Somehow it adds immensity to the picture.

I hear you about the disturbances though - add to that people opening noisy bags, eating noisily, drinking beer, checking cellphones, chatting loudly, making dumb comments, coming in late, laughing during serious scenes, having arguments (happened during one of my IMAX viewings), I really wonder how much I'll be tempted to return. *Then again*, it's still a relatively controlled environment. At home I have to put up with family members turning on the light in the adjacent dining/kitchen and going about their noisy business, friends making snide remarks at the movie (made it almost impossible to enjoy T:L that one time I played it at home), phone ringing, people getting up for toilet/snack breaks in the middle of the movie and forcing everyone to pause it, etc. It really is difficult not having a dedicated room

THX is selling the tint glasses for the low low price of $2 plus $87.88 shipping.
http://www.costore.com/THX/productenlarged.asp?peid=87&pid=930793
Guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

Actually I've already bought a splitter amp so the TV and PJ can share the same connection. Without it, I get absolutely nothing from 1080p over 30ft, but a solid image on SD. With it, I get brief flashes of colored sparkles. I had hoped it would make up for the smaller gauge cable, but obviously it doesn't. I've read on AVS forum that using shorter lengths of small gauge cables at the ends won't severely impact the signal. If bottlenecks were indeed a problem I'd think the port contacts themselves would be a much more important factor.

Edit: By the way I know what you mean about the 35 degree angle being the point at which the eye resolves all detail in HD. Still, being closer always helps you see the detail more, as with everything else, and there's little point in arguing that a 40 degree angle isn't more immersive.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

DrP
User

on Tuesday, November, 01, 2011 6:13 PM
I wonder why the shipping on a same size/weight screen was 50 bucks more? Weird.

Look forward to seeing "The Thing." I have the original on Laserdisc which i'm looking forward to playing. I like the nostalgia of laserdisc and have collection of some 400 movies. Since they are mostly 80's and 90's this is one of them!

I wonder why the prices are so ridiculous where you are. I mean Australia should be just like America when it comes to electronics,... I don't see why they are charging exorbarent prices for this stuff. I was amazed to see the shipping price for the thx glasses! I'm not sure I understand why shipping costs are so high. I often buy items off ebay that are shipped from hong kong and it's ridiculously cheap. I just bought a multimeter (volts, resistance, amps, etc..) shipped from hong kong or china and it costs $3 total. Same thing with a cheap pair of coaxial wire strippers. Seems like they just want to rip people off.

If you do a search online for the thx tint requirement you may be able to find a supplier witch sells the plastic itself. They have specific color numbers. This is what I had to do for my Avai calibration disk as I did not have the original 3 color tints. I just had to do a little google search and was able to hunt down the specific color codes and then I ordered it from an online wholesale company that sells all kinds of sizes and colors of the transparent plastic.

If you have the splitter amp for the hdmi cable you can try to use that as a cable extender if the 30 ft cable gives you problems. It may be that once you get the projector you won't have any problems regardless of cords. Some electronics are just more sensitive to signal quality than others.where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

END OF LINE

Kaisergrendel
User

on Tuesday, November, 01, 2011 7:18 PM
Maybe clerical error. I wasn't going to stick around to find out, in case they decide to match the higher shipping cost if I told them about it. xD

I'm curious, what is the attraction of LD for you?

I'm not sure exactly why the prices are as high as they are here, but most people seem to agree it's greed. Even prices between local stores can vary quite a bit. I think there's a consumer culture here that doesn't put a lot of emphasis on finding good deals that allows pricier retailers to thrive, or that allows stores to universally raise margins. There was a big stink up by some of the largest companies a few months back about how import sales were killing local business, and were campaigning for the import tax threshold to be lowered (I paid $140 tax on my projector purchase) from $1000 to include basically all sales. Some of their justifications for the higher prices were the higher minimum wage standard in Australia...and...I don't know, I think the rest were too ridiculous to recall. What I do know is long as the huge disparity remains where I can buy overseas, be charged hundreds for shipping and tax and still end up spending significantly less, I'm going to take my business elsewhere for the bulk of my purchases.

Yeah some of the Chinese stuff is dirt cheap. I got a screwdriver set with about 40 different bits for $2.50, best set I ever had. Also an SPL meter for around $20.

Could you refer me to the company you got the transparencies?

Yeah, it was the projector that I tested the cable with. The 22AWG cable I ordered shouldn't have any problems, else I might have to look into purchasing copper rebars xD

DrP
User

on Tuesday, November, 01, 2011 7:59 PM
I got into the laserdisc thing this past year. There are a couple of cool things about the format which makes it unique.

First, it's kind of niche format that never caught on but was way ahead of it's time. Many people don't realize that it came out in the late 70's. This was around the time of VHS and betamax. The picture on laserdisc was far superior to the previous mentioned formats and has some advantages like digital audio, multiple tracks, instant seeking. These things that we take for granted didn't really show up in consumer video until nearly 20 years later on DVD. Since the video signal is analog there isn't any digital artifacts like DVD. A good mastered laserdisc on a good player gets pretty close to DVD quality,... once again 20 years ahead of it's time!

Another thing is that unlike other formats like DVD and blu-ray, the player used for laserdiscs has a HUGE effect on playback performance. This is mostly due to the comb filters that were pretty crappy in the early years and only got good with the very late highend US and Japanese models. Thus, the player adds a significant factor into the system.

I think this is much like the arguement with LP's and CD's. Sure CD's have more clean sound but their is a big high end market for turntables. Matter of fact, good turntables cost way more than good blu-ray players! Same thing with laserdisc players. Low end ones you can pick up for 20 bucks, the high end ones go for thousands of dollars.

Another reason is that I find the movies to be somewhat collectors items. The last laserdisc was produced in 2002 and there is no way that the format will come back. That means there are a certain amount of discs out there and that's it. In 30 years they will be even more rare. Unlike other formats like tape or vinyl, the manufacturing process if very complicated and expensive so they will never produce them in the future. DVD's and CD's can be made by anyone with a 20 dollar burner in their computer.

Last, I think one reason that compels me to the format is that I was a kid in the 80's and 90's so a lot of the movies during that time bring back memories associated with that time period. I like new movies as well (like Tron Legacy!) but for some reason when I have to decide on watching the original Tron on Laserdisc, DVD, or Blu-ray (I have all three) there is something... "special" about the laserdisc version. Maybe because I remember watching a similar analog version of it back in the 80's on my small CRT! I don't know, I can't explain it better than that.

If you have any interest in the format there is a great site, www.lddb.com with a new forum that's pretty lively and lot of people on there who share this "hobby."

UPDATE:
I tried looking for the filters. I bought them from this website:
http://www.lightingelstore.com/servlet/StoreFrontThe only thing is that I can't find them on their site anymore....
The 3 filters cost $7 with shipping. This is pulled from the order confirmation email which is almost a year old.

The order description shows the following:
VideoCal Pack 4 L#71-4, L#106-4, L#139-4
The 2nd part are the filter designations. I don't know whether the THX one is one of these but these were specific to the avia calibration disc.

END OF LINE

FirstPrevious Page: of 9 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Home Theaters, What are you watching Tron: Legacy on? Post your setup.