TRON: LEGACY 
 What does this mean?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
IluthraDanar
User

What does this mean?

on Wednesday, February, 23, 2011 9:29 PM
When Sam sits at Flynn's computer and starts typing away, I noticed that in the lines were these:

sanity check

Last will and Testament

Are these nonsense things, figuring no one would see it, or are they something Flynn wrote into his program?

Last will sounds like he wasn't sure if he would return from that first trip, but I laughed at sanity check.

Ideas?

Forget it, Mr High and Mighty Master Control. You aren't making me talk.

Disc Warrior
User

RE: What does this mean?

on Wednesday, February, 23, 2011 10:05 PM
I wonder what his sanity check was...

I wonder if Encom got his will right lol...

IsoLine
User

on Wednesday, February, 23, 2011 10:12 PM
IluthraDanar Wrote:When Sam sits at Flynn's computer and starts typing away, I noticed that in the lines were these:

sanity check

Last will and Testament

Are these nonsense things, figuring no one would see it, or are they something Flynn wrote into his program?

Last will sounds like he wasn't sure if he would return from that first trip, but I laughed at sanity check.

Ideas?

"Sanity check" is a term used in the old pencil and paper RPG games like Dungeons and Dragons. Basically it is a roll that must be made in order to avoid having your character go insane if he sees something utterly horrific or if a magical creature attacks the character with a spell or attack that induces insanity. Seeing as Kevin was a game designer, he could have been putting a "sanity check" command in a game and maybe just typed that as a reference to his gaming life. Around the time of the first TRON Dungeons and Dragons was less than 10 years old and a lot of game designers used the pen and paper method derived from D&D to make computerized versions of fantasy adventure games.

"Word to the Motherboard!" - IsoLine

Tron Fanatic
User

on Wednesday, February, 23, 2011 10:35 PM
Think of the "totem" object in Inception. Probably the same concept.

'>

IluthraDanar
User

on Wednesday, February, 23, 2011 10:59 PM
Ok, so real terms within the film. I know moviemakers sometimes add things thinking the scene will flash by so fast, no one will notice. Like, Pacman in Tron, chomping away on Sark's tracking board.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Forget it, Mr High and Mighty Master Control. You aren't making me talk.

IsoLine
User

on Wednesday, February, 23, 2011 11:15 PM
IluthraDanar Wrote:Ok, so real terms within the film. I know moviemakers sometimes add things thinking the scene will flash by so fast, no one will notice. Like, Pacman in Tron, chomping away on Sark's tracking board.

Yeah....Little things to fill out a screen or add a little touch of silliness.order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

"Word to the Motherboard!" - IsoLine

Argent
User

on Thursday, February, 24, 2011 4:45 AM
According to Wikipedia,

A sanity test or sanity check is a basic test to quickly evaluate whether a claim or the result of a calculation can possibly be true.

(snip)

In computer science, a sanity test is a very brief run-through of the functionality of a computer program, system, calculation, or other analysis, to assure that the system or methodology works as expected, often prior to a more exhaustive round of testing.

Oh, and I'm new around here, so, uh... hey, guys! *waves*

tomorowlandude
User

on Thursday, February, 24, 2011 10:13 AM
That stood out to me everytime I saw the film, so I googled it and got what Argent found.

Gnoop
User

on Thursday, February, 24, 2011 12:56 PM
IsoLine Wrote:
IluthraDanar Wrote:When Sam sits at Flynn's computer and starts typing away, I noticed that in the lines were these:

sanity check

Last will and Testament

Ideas?

"Sanity check" is a term used in the old pencil and paper RPG games like Dungeons and Dragons. Basically it is a roll that must be made in order to avoid having your character go insane if he sees something utterly horrific or if a magical creature attacks the character with a spell or attack that induces insanity. Seeing as Kevin was a game designer, he could have been putting a "sanity check" command in a game and maybe just typed that as a reference to his gaming life. Around the time of the first TRON Dungeons and Dragons was less than 10 years old and a lot of game designers used the pen and paper method derived from D&D to make computerized versions of fantasy adventure games.

In I.T. terms, it usually more refers to check points where people check in on a major change / implementation to see how things are going.

RenegadeProgram
User

on Thursday, February, 24, 2011 10:36 PM

sanity check

Last will and Testament

Ideas?

Hey Iluthra:
I remember Quorra telling Sam that Kevin Flynn thought he'd never see his Son ever again, right after they got to the safehouse.

Something else I noticed was that the screen read that 2 Users were logged in already when Sam logged on. The OS on Flynn's server was also an exact replica of Sun OS.

Fighting for TRON, The USERS, Both Flynns, Independents, and the mighty ISOs since '82.

fln.usr
User

on Saturday, January, 14, 2017 2:27 PM
2 Users might be about some plot holes..

Grid Is ALIVE!

EXODUS
User

on Monday, January, 16, 2017 7:16 AM
RenegadeProgram Wrote:

sanity check

Last will and Testament

Ideas?

Hey Iluthra:
I remember Quorra telling Sam that Kevin Flynn thought he'd never see his Son ever again, right after they got to the safehouse.

Something else I noticed was that the screen read that 2 Users were logged in already when Sam logged on. The OS on Flynn's server was also an exact replica of Sun OS.
Was this '2 Users' reference noticed before or after Sam entered the password?
One could be Sam (because he knew the password) and the other could (presumably) be Flynn, because he failed to materialize by the laser and the computer noticed that and logged it. 

Cyan
User

on Wednesday, January, 18, 2017 7:31 PM
Regarding the second User logged in--Kevin Flynn had long planned on showing Alan the grid; my first thought was that maybe he created an account and logged Alan in in preparation of when it was time to show everything. 

MCPcomputer
User

on Thursday, January, 26, 2017 4:16 PM

Wow program I never noticed this. But it is quite interesting !

"I want him in the games until he dies playing" -MCP
The Grid a Physical Frontier funny Tron Videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMViP_QtZ8

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 What does this mean?