TRON: LEGACY 
 Sam Flynn's Nokia N8 Smartphone

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
voltes5
User

on Thursday, January, 27, 2011 5:57 AM

So I finally did some research on Sam Flynn's smartphone: it is a Nokia N8 which runs the Symbian^3 OS... Here are some of my thoughts...

• The simple, awesome fact that Sam doesn't use an iPhone or an Android phone (or even a Blackberry) to hack into ENCOM; and the fact that I had to research what that phone was makes it even more awesome.

• Following the spirit of the film, Nokia's Symbian OS is "open source."

• There's an attached device on the top of the phone: we see it during the ENCOM break-in and during The Grid copy/backup scene. That device houses the flash card that Sam later puts on a chain around his neck.

• So when I researched what type of connection was on top of the phone, I found out that it is an HDMI connection. Check out this YouTube video.

So now I have some questions...

- Since Sam copied or transferred "The Grid" to his phone (then flash card), does it mean that there are 2 instances of The Grid? One in the Arcade Server and one currently in Sam's flash card?

- Since the device that's attached on the Nokia N8 phone is through an HDMI port, what kind of device is this exactly to have the correct input/output connection(s) to Kevin Flynn's server which was built in the 1980's? Sam's phone truly lives up to the "Legacy" title as his phone's attachment seems to support legacy computer equipment (I'm positive that his dad's server didn't have any USB ports).

- Sam's clothes were "destroyed" by the Sirens yet they remained intact when Sam returned to the real world. Shouldn't Sam be semi-nude (since his underwear was not thrown away)? Also, Sam's Nokia N8 probably got thrown in the trashbin as well! (Random question: And why was there a trashbin?)

Okay, these are just fun questions I'd like to bring up. I still love the movie and I just saw it again this last weekend. It was my 7th time... Must watch it again before it's gone from the theaters...order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

chaos. good news.

spiritplumber
User

RE: Sam Flynn's Nokia N8 Smartphone

on Thursday, January, 27, 2011 8:52 AM
I'd have preferred an Android phone...

Not sure about that particular nokia, but it is perfectly possible to do this stuff with a Nexus One or a Motorola Droid.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/phone-keyboard-hacking-nexus-android,12056.html

For a truly universal (control any device) phone hack, here's my modest little writeup -- I use this to control telepresence robots, we even have one that goes for groceries.

http://hackaday.com/2010/11/10/android-talks-pulsewave/

Independent game programmers for the win!

NickyTea
User

on Thursday, January, 27, 2011 9:21 AM
Just as a prop FYI, the "attachement" piece that houses the "card" (which is an iphone SIM card tray) is an iPhone 2G Logic board.

IsoLine
User

on Thursday, January, 27, 2011 12:47 PM
Yeah, they loaded the phone with a preview clip of Sam coming home to Dumont Shipping as a bonus if you bought one in the Oriental markets. Some dude from Singapore put up the video a long time ago on YT and had us buzzing about it.....Then he took it down.where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

"Word to the Motherboard!" - IsoLine

typicaltronname
User

on Thursday, January, 27, 2011 1:03 PM
The clothes question has been asked many times.

The clothes in the grid were digital versions, hence they destroyed the digital clothes. If you've seen the original Tron, you will notice that Flynn enters the grid with the armor already on. When he exited the Grid, he had his regular clothes on.

"Reveal your creation date or I will disassemble your code one operation at a time!"

c1
User

on Thursday, January, 27, 2011 7:43 PM

super cool Phone, I want this setup.

Kat
User

on Thursday, January, 27, 2011 8:56 PM
voltes5 Wrote:
- Sam's clothes were "destroyed" by the Sirens yet they remained intact when Sam returned to the real world. Shouldn't Sam be semi-nude (since his underwear was not thrown away)? Also, Sam's Nokia N8 probably got thrown in the trashbin as well! (Random question: And why was there a trashbin?)

My guess would be that when you rez into the Grid, your accessories dont' go with you. Clothing might go (or not, let's not rehash that here) but I bet stuff like jewelry, whatever's in your pockets, etc., does not. I doubt the computer would work that hard, to recreate all that stuff on the inside, if indeed it's even possible at all.
where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

CB2001
User

on Friday, January, 28, 2011 9:05 PM
voltes5 Wrote:
    - Since Sam copied or transferred "The Grid" to his phone (then flash card), does it mean that there are 2 instances of The Grid? One in the Arcade Server and one currently in Sam's flash card?

- Since the device that's attached on the Nokia N8 phone is through an HDMI port, what kind of device is this exactly to have the correct input/output connection(s) to Kevin Flynn's server which was built in the 1980's? Sam's phone truly lives up to the "Legacy" title as his phone's attachment seems to support legacy computer equipment (I'm positive that his dad's server didn't have any USB ports).

First off, we do not know for certain what's in the the chip. Some assume it's a copy of the Grid, others believe its the digital files that make up Kevin Flynn. For all we know, he could be carrying a backed up copy of TRON with intentions of putting TRON back on the Encom server since he is back to his old self. But there is no direct answer as to what's on the chip.

About the chip, it's safe to say that Flynn was suppose to be ahead of his time, as he explained that he came up with what we call now Wi-Fi. It's within the realm of possibility that the design of the chip that Sam has may have been one of many ideas for technology by Flynn. For all we know, the chip that Sam has is a storage device like a flashcard, but could have been designed and created by Flynn, and it being ahead of its time that Sam continues to use it (which is perfect for a Smartphone because what are the size of most apps for an iPhone, Blackberry, or in this case, a Nokia?). Plus, we know that since the Grid is an older program (as it started in 1983 and continued to develop to 1989), it's probably big enough to fit on a 1.4 Megabyte floppy disk. And since the chip may have been something that Flynn designed and built, then naturally, he would either have some sort of connection that would allow anyone with the chip or a later version of the chip, to connect to the server that the Grid is on. Or, it could be possible that Sam, like his father before him, is a hardware hacker as much as a software hacker (as is established with the phone). And as a result, he was able to modify a cable to connect his phone to the server.

This was also discussed in another thread. People apparently forget that when Sam was transfered onto the Grid, it was not his PHYSICAL self. It is a DIGITAL copy. So, basically, only his Digital Copy had his clothes replace. His real clothes for his physical self is still intact. Think of it like this: Remember the first film? Kevin Flynn got brought onto the Grid. He wear wearing a red and gray jacket, a Flynn's T-shirt, blue jeans and shoes. Yet, when he is transfered onto the Grid, his outfit is not the same as it is on the outside world. And when he left the system and was restored in the real world, his clothes were back to normal.

Since a Digital version of Sam was made, anything he had in his pockets would have become digitized too, and those digital copies would have gone into the trash bin along with his clothes. Since the Digital version doesn't interfere with the physical outfit in any shape, way or form, the real Nokia is still okay. Think of it like this: The Matrix, there are two copies of yourself. There is your physical self and a "digital representation." You get it now? So, since the digital representation doesn't reflect the real person when on the system, then the phone and everything in his pockets would be okay and Sam would not be semi-nude.

And about the trash-bin thing, why is there a trash-bin for deleted files on your computer? Simple: to temporarily hold files before you completely delete them.

bitimpress
User

on Saturday, January, 29, 2011 5:23 PM
Hi to all Tron fans!

We posted a new video of our door unlock screensaver app for Nokia touch phones, this time running on a N8, it looks pretty much exactly like in the movie
The download link to a preliminary version of our app in the description of the youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FhvPpIF_zM
If you have a Nokia Touch phone please try it out and let us know what do you think and which functions you would like to be implemented and what should be improved.

We submitted the app to Nokia Ovi Store so it should appear on all Nokia touch phones as a free download (in 1-2 weeks).

thanks,
BitImpress
http://store.ovi.com/publisher/BITIMPRESS

MCPcomputer
User

on Saturday, January, 29, 2011 9:39 PM

Now THAT is a cool Phone!!

I never wanted a smart phone until now!
I might have to get this one... ha ha..
cool

"I want him in the games until he dies playing" -MCP
The Grid a Physical Frontier funny Tron Videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMViP_QtZ8

MCPcomputer
User

on Sunday, January, 30, 2011 12:27 AM
c1 Wrote:
super cool Phone, I want this setup.

I want that to! BlinkyInkySue

The Grid a Physical Frontier funny Tron Videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMViP_QtZ8

Kat
User

on Sunday, January, 30, 2011 9:28 AM
LWSrocks Wrote:Well, I doubt that if a computer can take a HUMAN into the grid that it cant take a few accessories, but... who knows.
there's probably a difference between taking organic material and inorganic. Why waste the power to make digital representations of phones, coins, lip balm, watches, etc. that aren't usable on the Grid anyway?

As we've said in other threads, the clothes are another debate and of course we've had it before. For one, it's Disney. We can't have Sam showing up naked (though perhaps it would've helped with the film's female following ). And apparently they wanted the Siren scene in there, so they couldn't just have him show up in Gridwear like Kevin did in the original. So I think we could logically separate clothes and other accessories by that reasoning.

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

MCPcomputer
User

on Sunday, January, 30, 2011 2:04 PM

I'm glad they did it like that...
I like the Siren Scene.
Gem is my favorite Siren InkySueBlinky

ShadowDragon1
User

on Sunday, January, 30, 2011 4:50 PM
I like the scene with the Sirens. It's like, each Program is suited up by Sirens and for the Program, it's the last "pleasant on the eyes" thing that the Programs will ever see before most likely dieing in the Disc War game...

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

IMAGinES
User

on Sunday, January, 30, 2011 7:51 PM
Sucks to be a female program.

Unless they get the hunk version of the Sirens...

Fortune Favour You,

IMAGinES

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY