TRON: LEGACY 
 Time Dilation Discrepancy

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
ChessMess
User

RE: Time Dilation Discrepancy

on Thursday, December, 23, 2010 9:33 PM
I'm surprised they didn't tell the viewing audience this. "You have no idea" I thought would have been followed by him revealing how long it had been.

HooDooMan
User

on Thursday, December, 23, 2010 11:07 PM
insidetronworld Wrote:So if 1 cycle = 1 year and 20 years in our time = a 1000 years in theirs. Then that means time goes by at 50 times the normal rate of our time (20 / 1000 = 50).

So 1 year in our time would be = to 50 years in their time.

So 50 cycles x 1000 millicycles = 50,000 millicycles

So how many seconds in our time would one millicycles be? 50 seconds? But that does seem right. Anyone got any ideas?

Here's one of the articles that I was referring to where Joe Kosinski talked about the time dilation effect:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Poniverse/news/?a=15710

If you scroll down, I think it's the 13th quote. So you're right about time going by at about 50 times the normal rate of our time.

where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

typicaltronname
User

on Thursday, December, 23, 2010 11:21 PM
Flynn said MICRO cycles.

I just read an interview with the writers. they specifically said micro cycles.

Found here: http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/12/21/tron-legacy-screenwriters-interview/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook
Specifically this quote: "In terms of the time cycles, is the passing of time, for lack of a better reference, like 'Inception' where like one minute in the real world is like 10 minutes in the computer world?

Horowitz: Yes. There is a very complicated mathematical formula that we worked on to make it work. And we went back and forth because we had versions where Eddie and I, math is not necessarily our strong suit, where we would have Kevin Flynn was in there for 28,000 years.

Kitsis: It sounded great in the script - it's like one cycle equals eight hours, but we were like, oh, so he's been in there for a million years?

Horowitz: We worked it out with Joe and we call them microcycles and there are divisions. And I think it's something like, a microcycle is like eight hours or we sort of basically we figured it out. But the concept is when you're in the grid, your time is working at a different rate than it is out here."

"Reveal your creation date or I will disassemble your code one operation at a time!"

DigiCom
User

on Friday, December, 24, 2010 7:53 PM
insidetronworld Wrote:So if 1 cycle = 1 year and 20 years in our time = a 1000 years in theirs. Then that means time goes by at 50 times the normal rate of our time (20 / 1000 = 50).

So 1 year in our time would be = to 50 years in their time.

So 50 cycles x 1000 millicycles = 50,000 millicycles

So how many seconds in our time would one millicycles be? 50 seconds? But that does seem right. Anyone got any ideas?

One cycle is one year on the grid. If we assume a 50:1 ratio, one cycle is 7.3 days in real life.

One millicycle is then 7.3/1000 days, or abot 10.5 minutes.

typicaltronname
User

on Saturday, December, 25, 2010 12:07 AM
My post above covers this. It is in fact a MIcro cycle.

I even posted the quote in which the writers discuss this.

where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

"Reveal your creation date or I will disassemble your code one operation at a time!"

PunkMaister
User

on Saturday, December, 25, 2010 7:07 PM
DigiCom Wrote:He said "1 millicycle" not microsecond.

True...

HooDooMan
User

on Saturday, December, 25, 2010 7:19 PM
Wow! Okay, now we've got REAL confusion! We've all heard or read conflicting things, such as microsecond, microcycle, and millicycle...All of which could mean very different things, so I'm not sure what to believe now! LOL!

I'm going to have to see the movie again and listen very closely to that scene to see what Kevin actually says to Sam. But overall, the takeaway for me is that time does move faster on the Grid than in real life.

HooDooMan
User

on Saturday, December, 25, 2010 7:24 PM
ShadowDragon1 Wrote:1 milicycle = 8 hrs

3 milicycles = 24 hrs

21 milicycles = 7 days

84 milicycles = 1 week

336 milicycles = 1 month

4032 milicycles = 1 year

80,620 milicycles = 20 yrs.

this is going my simple multiplication and extrapolating from that.

I'm uncertain how many milicycles equels 1000 cycles though. I'm very *not* mathematically inclined... :/

Hey Shadow,

I think you doubled up on your week there, my friend. You have 21 millicycles = 7 days and then 84 millicycles = 1 week. I think you meant 84 millicycles =1 month. So it kinda threw off your calculations a bit there...

DarthMeow504
User

on Sunday, December, 26, 2010 3:47 AM
It doesn't necessarily have to be consistent. Presumably, a "cycle" as a unit of time is based on a CPU's clock cycle. As anyone who works with computers knows, programs don't always run at optimum speed and make the same amount of progress per CPU cycle. A program is advanced as quickly as the CPU is able to but can be bogged down or even frozen depending on the demands on the processor. We've all seen this while playing video games, a system may be humming along cranking out your favorite 3D fragfest at 60 frames per second, then all of a sudden something else puts a demand on the processor and next thing you know it's choppy, 30 frames per second, and then there's a high rendering demand because of fast motion and a lot of objects on the screen, and you get a lag-filled "slideshow" effect as the program bogs down. It might even freeze for a second or two before CPU demand drops and things get back up to speed.

This could happen to Flynn's system countless times in 20 years, so there is really no telling how long precisely passed inside the system during that time. We can know the optimum speed, but you'd need another computer to crunch 20 years worth of system speed logs to figure out how much actual rendering took place.

In other words, it's variable cuz computers bog down a lot.

on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

ShadowDragon1
User

on Sunday, December, 26, 2010 4:51 AM
I think I will go with the writers of the film, if they say it's been "28,000 yrs" inside The Grid, that's good enough for me.

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

tron_man_63304
User

on Sunday, December, 26, 2010 9:06 AM
Wow..... heh i see some way over thinking above...... but an interesting read

.:EDIT: perhaps there are microcycles and milicycles the later being an accumulation of the first.

(i can do it to )

Back by Unpopular Demand.

cirlin
User

on Sunday, December, 26, 2010 9:37 AM
ShadowDragon1 Wrote:I think I will go with the writers of the film, if they say it's been "28,000 yrs" inside The Grid, that's good enough for me.

That's really not what they said. They said:

"And we went back and forth because we had versions where Eddie and I, math is not necessarily our strong suit, where we would have Kevin Flynn was in there for 28,000 years.

Kitsis: It sounded great in the script - it's like one cycle equals eight hours, but we were like, oh, so he's been in there for a million years?"

This is clearly them saying that they went through variations and at a couple points the math worked out into these absurdly huge numbers. I think it's issues like this that let them to leave it somewhat vague.

HooDooMan
User

on Sunday, December, 26, 2010 11:54 AM
tron_man_63304 Wrote:Wow..... heh i see some way over thinking above...... but an interesting read

.:EDIT: perhaps there are microcycles and milicycles the later being an accumulation of the first.

(i can do it to )

LOL! GUILTY!! Yeah, I was definitely over thinking all of this! And I was the THREAD STARTER!! LOL! But I do find it interesting all the different takes people have on this.

tron_man_63304
User

on Sunday, December, 26, 2010 9:24 PM
indeed, the problem was that there is no true answer available

Back by Unpopular Demand.

insidetronworld
User

on Monday, December, 27, 2010 9:29 AM
OK everyone I figured out the time differince.

365 days x 24 hours x 60 minutes x 60 seconds = 31,536,000 seconds in a year.
1000 millicycles x 50 = 50,000 millicycles in our time.

Divid 31,536,000 by 50,000 and you get 630.72 seconds or 10 minutes 30.72 secends.

Therefor one millicycle = 10 minutes 30 senonds in our time. I not including leap years.

Now here's a queston for you all. Keven Finn said in the movie that it takes huge amounts of power to keep this gate to the real world open. The queston I would like to know is how much power would it take to keep the gate open? Because if you are using huge amounts of power for 10.5 minutes don't you think that the power companies would have noticed that much of a drain on thier grid? By the way Finn was talking I would think that it would be 10's or even 100's of kilowatts he's talking about. Maybe even megawatts.

That is a lot of power to be using for ten minutes and it would have been investigated.
Don't you think?

insidetronworld
User

on Monday, December, 27, 2010 9:51 AM
DarthMeow504 Wrote:It doesn't necessarily have to be consistent. Presumably, a "cycle" as a unit of time is based on a CPU's clock cycle. As anyone who works with computers knows, programs don't always run at optimum speed and make the same amount of progress per CPU cycle. A program is advanced as quickly as the CPU is able to but can be bogged down or even frozen depending on the demands on the processor. We've all seen this while playing video games, a system may be humming along cranking out your favorite 3D fragfest at 60 frames per second, then all of a sudden something else puts a demand on the processor and next thing you know it's choppy, 30 frames per second, and then there's a high rendering demand because of fast motion and a lot of objects on the screen, and you get a lag-filled "slideshow" effect as the program bogs down. It might even freeze for a second or two before CPU demand drops and things get back up to speed.

This could happen to Flynn's system countless times in 20 years, so there is really no telling how long precisely passed inside the system during that time. We can know the optimum speed, but you'd need another computer to crunch 20 years worth of system speed logs to figure out how much actual rendering took place.

You have an interesting idea. But your talking about random demands on the processor. I myself like to think of it as measurble amounts of time. The means for measuring I don't know for sure, but I am basing it on the quotes in the movie. Thats all I have to go on. However you do have a good point. But did you see the size of that computer room. I bet you we're talking 100's if not 1000's of tera bytes of computing power in that one room.

typicaltronname
User

on Monday, December, 27, 2010 1:37 PM
Here is my theory. The events could very well have taken in 1 or more days.

Because, on the Grid, times goes faster there, so on the gird it could very well have taken 1 or more days.

The unit of time is called a micro-cycle. WHich is 8 hours in the real world, but in the grid, it translate to a longer amount of time.

Remember, time goes 50 times faster in the grid. So 8 hours times 50= 400. ( wonder if I'm using the correct math now. Because, if the above is true, then it *can* translate to 400 hours, OR 16 days. and Sam was not in the Grid for 16 days, grid time.)

Just a thought, though. I probably caused more confusion.

DarthMeow504
User

on Monday, December, 27, 2010 3:44 PM
Are you talking about the ENCOM server banks? Yeah that array was f'n huge. But I didn't see anything like that in Flynn's basement, unless I missed it. Vastly smaller system.

DV8ER
User

on Monday, December, 12, 2011 10:20 AM
DarthMeow504 Wrote:It doesn't necessarily have to be consistent. Presumably, a "cycle" as a unit of time is based on a CPU's clock cycle. As anyone who works with computers knows, programs don't always run at optimum speed and make the same amount of progress per CPU cycle. A program is advanced as quickly as the CPU is able to but can be bogged down or even frozen depending on the demands on the processor. We've all seen this while playing video games, a system may be humming along cranking out your favorite 3D fragfest at 60 frames per second, then all of a sudden something else puts a demand on the processor and next thing you know it's choppy, 30 frames per second, and then there's a high rendering demand because of fast motion and a lot of objects on the screen, and you get a lag-filled "slideshow" effect as the program bogs down. It might even freeze for a second or two before CPU demand drops and things get back up to speed.

This really isn't the case. Just becase your process bogs own doesn't mean the passage of time changes. The way computers work is it's a crytal that oscilates at a specific speed, this doesn't change just because the processer is busy. This means regardless of how a program bogs down the time passage of the system is still the same and is not affected. If this were the case, the system clock would stop running due to reading from the hard drive for example.

-D

Kaisergrendel
User

on Monday, December, 12, 2011 10:47 AM
DV8ER Wrote:This really isn't the case. Just becase your process bogs own doesn't mean the passage of time changes. The way computers work is it's a crytal that oscilates at a specific speed, this doesn't change just because the processer is busy. This means regardless of how a program bogs down the time passage of the system is still the same and is not affected. If this were the case, the system clock would stop running due to reading from the hard drive for example.
-D

I think you're confusing clock frequency with CPU performance, which was what Darthmeow was referring to. Granted, he misused the term first.

I have thought about this from Darthmeow's POV. If time is indeed measured perceptually rather than absolutely on the Grid, time dilation factor is variable.

I've also had an epiphany. It's rather comical of us to be debating the finer details of T:L when the writers themselves probably put less thought into it than we are. Possibly.

FirstPrevious Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Time Dilation Discrepancy