General Discussion 
 Why are there gridbugs?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Mr. Sinistar
Sector Admin

Why are there gridbugs?

on Wednesday, March, 26, 2008 9:08 AM
Why are they in the movie? Didn't they had a long scene in the script that was cut out? Or did they added them to the movie to have a connection with the arcade game?

Gridbug on Tronpedia!

OPEN SOURCE TRON PROJECT

"what the hell is a limux.."

- Gattorcar (a user on YouTube) April 17, 2007

test

zook_one
User

Re: Why are there gridbugs?

on Wednesday, March, 26, 2008 11:22 PM
Grid Bugs also appear in the TRON 2.0 Expansion - User Error. I envisioned and created them at scale much larger then depicted in the comic book.abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

[LDSO] LIVING DEAD SYSTEM OPERATORS www.LDSO.net

KiaPurity
User

on Thursday, March, 27, 2008 6:03 PM
I think it was talked about in the special features. But I forgot what exactly it was but I think it did have something to do with the arcade game X_x.

I fail.where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

TRON.dll
User

on Thursday, March, 27, 2008 7:10 PM
KiaPurity Wrote:I think it was talked about in the special features.

To make that more clear, the "Making of TRON" feature on the 20th anniversary DVD. It says that the gridbugs were in there as a hint for the arcade game (aka product placement). More specifically, when Yori says "if those gridbugs get us we're toast", is the arcade tie in. How can the gridbugs, which appear to be constrained to the ground, get TRON, Flynn, and Yori if they're in a solar sailer high in the sky? That always bugged me, and can really make the movie confusing for first time veiwers.

Didn't Lisberger say something on there about Disney or Midway requiring some arcade game tie-in?

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Friday, March, 28, 2008 7:10 PM
I can't remember if I heard about this on the TRON 20th Anniversary DVD (which I shall now refer to as "T20AD" because I'm tired of typing the whole thing out) or if DaveTRON was recounting a conversation with Mr. Lisberger, but here's what I know (or sort of know):

Originally there was to be some kind of battle sequence between TRON and the grid bugs. The scene was supposed to be just before meeting the Tower Guardian Dumont. That is why when TRON and Yori first set foot in Dumont's area, he says "I can't stand this commotion." (or something to that extent. The "commotion" was TRON doing battle with the grid bugs.

The grid bug battle scene was either never shot, completed, or just didn't work out well - I can't remember which.

In the arcade game TRON, that is why the grid bug game takes place around the I/O tower. That was how it was to appear in the film, more or less. TRON fights through the grid bugs to get to the I/O tower.

The grid bugs that are seen in the film, well below the Solar Sailer, were added to make sure the the grid bug game in the TRON arcade machine would make some kind of sense. Because the game and the film were both in production at the same time, the game was designed more around certain aspects of the script, and not the actual film (because the film was still morphing during production). It would have been odd to have grid bugs in the arcade game without having some kind of film tie-in.

Hence the very brief grid bug scene in the film, and the game in the arcade machine.

I might have messed up some of the specifics, but I'm pretty sure that's how it went. It makes the most sense and is consistent with the fact that most films in the end, are not exactly what they started out as on paper, or in preproduction. And back then, making a video game based on a film while the film itself was still being made was a very new. I believe it was the first time that took place. Another sign of how ahead of its time TRON really was.

Fun fact:
Most hard core TRON fans already know this, but the grid bugs seen in the film were not computer animated. Instead, they were hand animated to (believe it or not) save on time and production costs. When I saw TRON in 1982, they fooled me with it. I believed they were indeed computer animated. I can tell by looking at them now, but they did fool me back then. Much attention was put in to making the traditionally (or hand) animated sequences match the look of the real computer animation. For those of us who were not used to computer animation all over the place, all the time (which was pretty much everyone back then), it did the trick quite nicely.

TRON.dll
User

on Friday, March, 28, 2008 8:35 PM
I goofed, Lisburger talks about it on the audio commentary, not the featurette.

Interesting, I never knew about a fight scene around the tower. Thanks, Todd. Maybe I can implement that scene into my Recognizer game. I'll be sure to credit you!

Time for some "hardcore" TRON!

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

Cam_the_Man
User

on Monday, March, 31, 2008 4:21 PM

Todd, that was genius. You answered about two TRON inconsistencies I have noticed, and explained why the Gridbugs are around the I/O Tower in the arcade Game.
Has anyone noticed how the I/O seems to chnge at deifferent times in the film? Sometime it's consistent, sometimes not.
on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

In the midst of Team Fortress 2:
TRON.dll: (Captures the intelligence) "I have take the intelligence and it will cause meltdown!"
Cam_the_Man: "No! Not all of Dallas!"

death-program
User

on Monday, March, 31, 2008 9:26 PM
zook_one Wrote:Grid Bugs also appear in the TRON 2.0 Expansion - User Error. I envisioned and created them at scale much larger then depicted in the comic book.

I actually envisioned the gridbugs larger.

------------------------------------------------------
There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand trinary and those who don't. And those who confuse it with binary.

The is THE TRUTH ZOMGWTFBBQ

matthew180
User

RE: Why are there gridbugs?

on Sunday, June, 25, 2017 2:32 PM
@TheRealTodd, thanks for this info, still relevant after 9 years! :-)  After watching TRON at a screening in Hollywood last night, my friend and I were talking about the gridbugs and I could not remember the details.  I really wish they had filmed and included that battle scene, that would have been really cool (and made a lot more sense in the movie, plus the game tie-in).

Even if we did not see much of the gridbugs in the movie, does anyone know where the concept came for them?  What were they supposed to do if they caught you?  Did they have a weapon?  In the movie they only appear to have an eye or camera of some sort, and legs with sharp points for, apparently, walking on the grid.  Anyone have any more info?

How are you going to control the universe if you can't answer a few unsolvable problems?

slnasmith
User

on Wednesday, January, 31, 2018 6:44 AM
We provide 24*7 online Assignment Help in UK

EXODUS
User

on Thursday, February, 01, 2018 12:08 PM
Gridbugs also appear in both Betrayal and also Uprising too. 

(SPOILER ALERT!)

In Betrayal they are seen 'devouring' the Urban/City areas and Flynn and Tron try to make their escape on Lightcycles.

And in Uprising, in one of the episodes, Able notices them whilst he is traveling up into the mountains to meet Tron. ("Dam Gridbugs!").

But here's the strange thing ladies and gentlemen-in each of the three cases (if you include the ones from the original movie) all three versions of the Gridbugs all look completely different to each other! 

The one's in Betrayal are HUGE, big enough to attack small buildings and somewhat insectoid in manner whereas the ones in Uprising, although very similar to the ones in the original movie are really TINY, and are small enough for Able to pick it up in his hand (with contempt).

https://78.media.tumblr.com/28b1bc66b473b0f11509995d80679d03/tumblr_meu1brnUes1rsbbueo1_500.png

http://tron.popapostle.com/images/episodes/We-Both-Know-How-This-Ends/grid-bug.jpg

This implies that either (a) there are variations of different Grid bugs throughout different computering systems or (b) there's been a slightly minor screw-up with the continuity from the different artists/producers between all three events.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the second one... 

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 Why are there gridbugs?