Other Sectors 
 On the Cutting Room Floor of Oblivion

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Saturday, July, 30, 2005 8:37 PM
In 1986, the popular recording artists of Wang Chung released the song Everybody Have Fun Tonight, and it made it to #2 on the pop-charts. It was very popular and had a cool music video on MTV that employed an energetic jittery effect that made everything appear to move... well, all jittery and shaky.

In 2005, yours truly pays homage to this awesome song from an awesome decade in the form of a strange, animated music video short.

This new production is called On the Cutting Room Floor of Oblivion. It is NOT a remake of Wang Chung's original video, although it was inspired, in part, by it.

Why is my production "Cutting Room Floor" and not "Have Fun Tonight"? That is explained on my site, if you care to read through my ramblings about it.

I was almost tempted to post this under TRON General Discussion forum, because there are some very obvious TRON influences in my production. But I decided "Other Sectors" might be the proper place for it.

I invite you to enjoy a trip in to a strange and animated place that comes straight from the bowels of my mind... or something like that. I think you'll enjoy it, and I bet you smile as you watch all glorious two and a half minutes of it!

Of course, this video presentation is enjoyed best with good speakers turned way up. However if you are unable to view it on a computer with audio capabilities, the visuals alone should be quite entertaining.

There are two versions of the video available - one for high-speed internet users and one for dial-up modem users. Unfortunately even the dial-up version is a bit large (almost 7MB), but check it if you can.

Please post any thoughts or comments you have about it. I appreciate all feedback.

I wish I could sit with you and watch your reactions as you watch the video production, but I'll have to settle for written comments and digicons. So please let me know what you thought!

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

Re: On the Cutting Room Floor of Oblivion

on Saturday, July, 30, 2005 9:26 PM

You finished it!

And I gotta say . . . WOW! That's amazing. You said you had primitive tools to work with, but the final result is anything but primitive. It looks very professional, and I'm amazed at what you did on a home computer.

I had an odd problem with the high-bandwidth video always getting "stuck" at a certain point, so I ended up downloading it instead of viewing it on the page. It's for the best anyway, because it means I can watch it again later.

BTW, where did the vector stick-figure man come from? It looks familiar, somehow.

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Saturday, July, 30, 2005 9:56 PM
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I'm not sure why the video kept crapping out on you though. My site did experience some down time JUST after I posted the video thread here - perhaps there was more of that going on when you tried to view it? Not sure. Jeez, I sure hope that doesn't happen often - most people won't bother with it if that continues. At least you were able to download it and view it properly.

And yes, my tools were very primitive (for a production such as this) and I relied a lot more on ingenuity than anything. I took some very unorthodox approaches to what I did. I'm so glad you thought it looked professional - that is what I was shooting for.

The vector stick-figure man was inspired by something I saw on a little TV special back in 1981. It was called "Computers Are People Too". Sound familiar? They showed how computers were being used to learn about the movement of people. They studied movements of dancers by entering their joint coordinates in to a computer, ending up with a 3D stick figure that looks very similar to what you see in my video. And the movement of my stick figure may look familiar to you as well... the answer to why is elsewhere on my site

BTW - "Computers Are People Too" also featured an interview with a man who was working on an amazing new film that would feature incredible, groundbreaking 3D computer animation and effects. The man's name was Steven Lisberger. That TV special is where I first learned of the film TRON! on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

wwwmwww
User

on Saturday, July, 30, 2005 10:40 PM
WOW!!! That was fun. I wish I knew how to do a tenth of that stuff.

Great work Todd,
Carlwhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

DaveTRON
User

on Saturday, July, 30, 2005 10:43 PM
BRAVO!!!! BRAVO!!!!

That was great. I really enjoyed it. Wang Chung and TRON, two of my favorite things.

You are truly an artist.

Should I post the video for Computers Are People too here on TS? I only have the TRON part, but it's cool.abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

DaveTRON

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Saturday, July, 30, 2005 10:50 PM
Todd, awsome job on the video!
Really enjoyed all the visual elements you cramed into the vid. Love the Armatron! Great use of the Tomy Tron! Oh, those finger hands are delightfully wicked in their funny twistedness! The singing clay heads where great, slong with the ascii dancer! Great job. I can tell alot of sweat and blood went into the project. The end result was sweet!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

Jademz
User

on Sunday, July, 31, 2005 12:14 AM
Great Job Todd!! The video was absolutely great. My expressions were smiles, and laughs. That was very unique, I had fun.

Traahn
User

on Sunday, July, 31, 2005 1:52 AM
Todd, Todd, Todd... mannn, you really outdid yourself with this one!! It rules!!!!! There is such a mixture of energy, fun, wit and weirdness in that video that I couldn't help but uncontrollably laugh in utter amazement and joy! Fantastic work, m'friend! The members of Wang Chung definitely need to see this!! As does MTV. This could be the start of a new career for you Keep up the great work!

PS: I am on high-speed cable modem and had no issues in viewing it.

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

Hale-XF11
User

on Sunday, July, 31, 2005 12:00 PM
hey, that was really cool, and totally bizarre in a Peter Gabriel sort of way. Of course, I can't forget the Wang Chung video as it was on MTV nearly 24 hours a day at one point, haha. It certainly was catchy as hell too. I think it drove a few people clinically insane, but hey, you can't achieve great and wonderous things without a few sacrifices along the way.

Congrats on making an awesome 80s style video. It definitely fits the genre and the song. Your siggy even makes more sense to me now being all jittery and everything. hehe.

Good job, that was impressive editing, animation, video work, etc. etc!

-------------------------------------+megalith music+-------------------------------------

Boingo_Buzzard
User

on Sunday, July, 31, 2005 1:47 PM

Great Job Todd! Very well done!

abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Sunday, July, 31, 2005 4:50 PM
wwwmwww Wrote:WOW!!! That was fun. I wish I knew how to do a tenth of that stuff.

Thank you!

Funny you wish you knew how to do that stuff... I see your cool 3D animations and I say I wish I knew how to do that stuff!

DaveTRON Wrote:BRAVO!!!! BRAVO!!!!

That was great. I really enjoyed it. Wang Chung and TRON, two of my favorite things.

You are truly an artist.

Should I post the video for Computers Are People too here on TS? I only have the TRON part, but it's cool.

Thank you so much!

Yes, Wang Chung and TRON mix very well, don't they?

And yes, I think you should definitely post the Computers Are People Too video on TRON-Sector. Any real TRON fan should already have that video on their 20th Anniversary DVD of TRON, but I think it would be a good addition to the archives.

Sketch Wrote:Todd, awesome job on the video!
Really enjoyed all the visual elements you crammed into the vid. Love the Armatron! Great use of the Tomy Tron! Oh, those finger hands are delightfully wicked in their funny twistedness! The singing clay heads where great, along with the ascii dancer! Great job. I can tell alot of sweat and blood went into the project. The end result was sweet!

Thanks, Sketch! I appreciate your comments so much!

You hit upon a word I was hoping people would get out of this - "twisted". I sure twisted things up, or at least tried to. And a lot of "sweat and blood" did indeed go in to this, probably more than I should have poured in to such a short project. But the end result was fun, wasn't it?

In terms of cramming in things - I bet people notice new things if they watch it over and over. There is indeed a lot going on in there!

Remember the "Armatron" thread from last year? Yes, that is where the idea of incorporating that robotic-arm-o-fun in to a creative project started! And I just HAD to throw some blatant TRON in there. I figured Tomy TRON was a cool and somewhat obscure (to most people) thing to use - that looks cool and would represent some 80's feel (hand-held games like that were quite popular then).

Jademz Wrote:Great Job Todd!! The video was absolutely great. My expressions were smiles, and laughs. That was very unique, I had fun.

Thank you!

Excellent! You smiled, laughed, and had fun - I hit the mark then!

Traahn Wrote:Todd, Todd, Todd... mannn, you really outdid yourself with this one!! It rules!!!!! There is such a mixture of energy, fun, wit and weirdness in that video that I couldn't help but uncontrollably laugh in utter amazement and joy! Fantastic work, m'friend! The members of Wang Chung definitely need to see this!! As does MTV. This could be the start of a new career for you Keep up the great work!

PS: I am on high-speed cable modem and had no issues in viewing it.

Thank you! Wow - I take it your really liked it a LOT! Woo hoo!! Uh oh - hold on a moment while I let some air out of my overly inflated head after that...

** lets head get back to normal size **

Uncontrollable laughter and utter amazement?

Yesssss!

** does happy dance **

I too would like the members of Wang Chung to check out my little production. It would be interesting to see what they think of it.

I doubt MTV will be knocking on my door anytime soon though. What too me many months to pull off can more than likely be accomplished in just days by some slick Hollywood professionals who have access to far better tools and an actual BUDGET to work with! I had to wear all the hats in my production... well, except for the Cyber Dancer chick, Mari, who was kind enough to do her part for free. I really appreciate the sentiment though - thanks so much!

And thanks for letting me know it loadewhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Sunday, July, 31, 2005 5:14 PM

TheReelTodd Wrote:And yes, my tools were very primitive (for a production such as this) and I relied a lot more on ingenuity than anything. I took some very unorthodox approaches to what I did. I'm so glad you thought it looked professional - that is what I was shooting for.
You beat yourself up too much, in the comments on your site! You say you can see little flaws here and there . . . trust me, your average person isn't going to notice. I sure don't!

The vector stick-figure man was inspired by something I saw on a little TV special back in 1981. It was called "Computers Are People Too". Sound familiar?
Ah . . . yes, I should have known.

I also think the Tron segment of "Computers Are People Too" would make a cool addition to the file archive here.

Just too bad there's no way to see the whole thing again! I'd love to see it one more time, in its entirety. I haven't seen it since it first aired, and I don't remember much of it any more.

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Sunday, July, 31, 2005 5:29 PM
redrain85 Wrote:You beat yourself up too much, in the comments on your site! You say you can see little flaws here and there . . . trust me, your average person isn't going to notice. I sure don't!

Yeah - I know. Many artists are like that - they see only the flaws and not enough art. I'm like that with all my work. After a while has passed - long enough for me to start forgetting all the mistakes, flaws, errors, etc., I start to like the finished production more.

But when working so intensive on something like this, it's hard not to concentrate on the problem areas.

Part of the reason I put that blurb on my site (the errors and mistakes part) was also just to let people know I don't care to hear about the errors they find. Believe it or not, I do get e-mails and comments from people who LOVE to point out any little error or goof they can find in my stuff. I'm just letting them know I'm well aware of any error they can find, and plenty more - and not to bother me with that kind of stuff.

redrain85 Wrote:"Computers Are People Too" Ah . . . yes, I should have known...

...too bad there's no way to see the whole thing again! I'd love to see it one more time, in its entirety. I haven't seen it since it first aired, and I don't remember much of it any more.

Yeah - I have not seen that show in it's entirety since it's second (and I believe final) airing back in 1981, or perhaps it was early 1982 (for the re-showing). I have vivid memories of it though - the "Iceberg" audio synthesizer, many cool and interesting animations, the TRON stuff (which we have on our TRON DVDs), the motion study of people (stick figure bit), something about a computer animated paper airplane, the "Noise wonderful NOISE" guy (who I kind of have a recreation of in my video also - in the sphere sequence), detailed accounts of the Tripple I animated juggling guy - from wire frame to finished look, and of course - who can forget "Tom" the talking computer monitor on the stand. Yes, Tom, the co host of the show! Remember Tom anyone? He was that white monitor on the pedestal and when he talked, there were colors that indicated his audio waves on his screen.

MAN - I really wish I could see what WHOLE thing again! Didn't have a VCR back then!

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Sunday, July, 31, 2005 7:12 PM
TheReelTodd Wrote:Part of the reason I put that blurb on my site (the errors and mistakes part) was also just to let people know I don't care to hear about the errors they find. Believe it or not, I do get e-mails and comments from people who LOVE to point out any little error or goof they can find in my stuff. I'm just letting them know I'm well aware of any error they can find, and plenty more - and not to bother me with that kind of stuff.
Oh man . . . I know exactly what you mean. I understand now. When I released my maps for Tron 2.0, I got exactly the same thing. People picking them apart and looking for every little flaw. Rather than enjoying them.

I appreciate them pointing out the problems, so that I can fix them. But it's the way some of them go about it. It's like "Haha! I found a mistake! Nyah nyah!"

I criticize sometimes too, but I at least try to be constructive about it.

Hey, thanks for refreshing my memory about "Computers Are People Too"! I'd forgotten so much. I didn't even remember the talking computer any more.

Traahn
User

on Monday, August, 01, 2005 1:19 AM
And the movement of my stick figure may look familiar to you as well... the answer to why is elsewhere on my site
I'm too lazy to check right now, but isn't there a "computers are people too" clip on the 2nd DVD of the 20th Anniversary Tron DVD? I haven't researched on your site, but that stick figure running kind've reminds me of when Tron and Yori are running into that doorway in the wall that would normally commence the "Deleted Love Scene" sequence. Your stick figure's movement is very reminiscent of the way Tron runs in that part. (Note: This scene is right after when Flynn jumps down, punches the red patrol guard and adopts his red color.) Am I anywhere close??

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

wwwmwww
User

on Monday, August, 01, 2005 5:26 PM
TheReelTodd Wrote:Thank you!

Funny you wish you knew how to do that stuff... I see your cool 3D animations and I say I wish I knew how to do that stuff!

Maybe somewhere down the road we'll have time to work on something together to take advantage of both our strengths.

Looking over your posted comments...

TheReelTodd Wrote:See if you can pick out the distinct, though cleverly disguised, nod to another 80's classic!

Based on your other comments more then the video itself would that be StarWars?

TheReelTodd Wrote:There are some unusual objects that ended up in this video, aside from the obvious items. Did you know that there is an ironing board in there? It's true! If your a Star Wars fan, see if you can spot the Death Star in the video. That cool digital character "BIT" from the film TRON is in there as well, but don't blink or you will surely miss it!

WOW!!! I watched the video several times before reading the above and never saw any of these. After reading it I've watched it a few more times. I still can't see them. How does one download this thing? I want to look at it frame-by-frame.

Still in awe,
Carl

order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Monday, August, 01, 2005 5:49 PM

I think I found Bit. But the other things . . . haven't got a clue! They're really well hidden.

Bit's part of the flying saucer, correct? That zaps the grid and makes all the hand crawlers (subtle reference to grid bugs?) run away? Very sneaky how you worked it in like that.

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Monday, August, 01, 2005 7:18 PM
wwwmwww Wrote:Based on your other comments more then the video itself would that be StarWars?

He he he - nope. There is a small tribute to Star Wars in there, but that is not what I am referring to. Someone at work picked out this particular nod, but only after noticing a specific thing and asking me if that was... [blank]. After they knew what [blank] was, they then figured out what [blank] meant.

But give me a call if you figure it out

wwwmwww Wrote:WOW!!! I watched the video several times before reading the above and never saw any of these. After reading it I've watched it a few more times. I still can't see them. How does one download this thing? I want to look at it frame-by-frame.

You can download the video to your hard by first watching it and letting it fully download in the web page. After that, check your Temporary Internet Files for the (approx.) 38 MB QuickTime file and copy it to another directory for accessing.

You can also play it frame by frame embedded right in the video page by pausing it and using the arrow keys.

There are a total of 4,542 frames in the video. Little trivia fact for ya.

redrain85 Wrote:I think I found Bit. But the other things . . . haven't got a clue! They're really well hidden.

Bit's part of the flying saucer, correct? That zaps the grid and makes all the hand crawlers (subtle reference to grid bugs?) run away? Very sneaky how you worked it in like that.

Nope, Bit is not part of the flying saucer. And the saucer does not just zap the ground. Yes, it scares off the other... um... handy-finger things, but that zap serves a purpose too. I'm surprised no one noticed it!

Head toward the liiiiiight

Anyway, try not to loose your grip on the planet or turn green in the face trying to find the two or three frames that Bit appears in.

Of course, if you find Bit, you'll probably also find a certain small moon... wait... that's NO moon!

Well, I've pretty much given away most of the hidden Easter Eggs now. But there are a couple of others in there. I could not make a video that has so much going on in it without having some fun with hidden visuals! Originally I was not going to tell people of the hidden goodies, but I figured why not - might be fun. Besides, I'm not sure people would notice them on their own... unless they watched the video over and over and over and over and over until their eyes bled from not blinking!

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Monday, August, 01, 2005 7:36 PM
Traahn Wrote:I haven't researched on your site, but that stick figure running kind've reminds me of when Tron and Yori are running into that doorway in the wall that would normally commence the "Deleted Love Scene" sequence. Your stick figure's movement is very reminiscent of the way Tron runs in that part.

Grrr - I replied to this in my previous message... but it got lost. Had too many windows open again! Doh!

Anyway, good guess, but the movement of my stick figure has nothing to do with the film TRON at all. In design it was inspired by that bit on CAPT (got tired of spelling it out all the time). In movement... well the answer is elsewhere on my site. You will not find the answer on any of the On the Cutting Room Floor of Oblivion pages though. You'll have to dive deeper than that.

where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

DaveTRON
User

on Monday, August, 01, 2005 8:31 PM
TheReelTodd Wrote:
Traahn Wrote:I haven't researched on your site, but that stick figure running kind've reminds me of when Tron and Yori are running into that doorway in the wall that would normally commence the "Deleted Love Scene" sequence. Your stick figure's movement is very reminiscent of the way Tron runs in that part.

Grrr - I replied to this in my previous message... but it got lost. Had too many windows open again! Doh!

Anyway, good guess, but the movement of my stick figure has nothing to do with the film TRON at all. In design it was inspired by that bit on CAPT (got tired of spelling it out all the time). In movement... well the answer is elsewhere on my site. You will not find the answer on any of the On the Cutting Room Floor of Oblivion pages though. You'll have to dive deeper than that.

Oooh, a challenge!

DaveTRON

Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors