New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 26 PagesNextLast
Rerezzed Ram
User

Re: Another dose of TRON!

on Wednesday, October, 06, 2004 8:51 AM
Alan1,

How was it with the commentary?

Are there a lot of interesting facts that are revealed?

I started watching the commentary but switched it right away because I wanted more background info on the opening scene and they were still doing introductions.

Oh well, I'll just have to watch it tonight then! Look for another PING tomorrow.

Rerezzed Ram
User

on Wednesday, October, 06, 2004 9:25 PM
PING

Looks like I answered my own questions.

I just finished with the commentary.

I found out a lot of cool stuff about the film, like the locations where they filmed and the massive amounts of compositing that was done.

truly is a one-of-a kind film that was WAY ahead of its time.

DaveTRON
User

on Wednesday, October, 20, 2004 8:00 PM
PING PING

Watched twice on my PocketPC yesterday. For that matter...

PING

I can count the amount of the movie I watched as I was converting it to my PDA as a viewing too. Three times in one day. Didn't go to bed until 2 AM! Yahoo! order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

DaveTRON

harpo989
User

on Wednesday, October, 20, 2004 10:06 PM
PING!
I was calibrating my portable DVD player today, and I decided to try out a couple movies... Tron was one of them.
Ah, gotta love tron!

------------
Harpo989: The original fConer. (Now with (0rr[up73d fruit flavoring!)

TextPad
User

on Friday, October, 22, 2004 3:42 AM
PING!

If I'd known that joining this forum would give me the excuse to watch Tron again, I'd have done it sooner

Yesterday evening, after a brief session at Killer App Advance (more of that on the appointed thread; "brief" only becuse I was nurturing a bit of a headache, and the game scrolling was making it worse), I fired my beloved 20th AE DVD to watch Tron with a never-tried-before permutation- Italian audio with English subtitles, so I could readily identify the quirks of the italian adaptation and make a longish post about it

I've already reported a couple of issues, ad in my hubris I'm going to quote myself:

TextPad Wrote:

Bit is much more "humanized", and sounds like a child, with almost no cybernetic echo. Moreover, all of its "yes" and "no" have different emphasis.
A a rule I don't like dubbers taking liberties on the original source, but I have to admit I like the italian Bit better. When Flynn mutters "another mouth to feed" it has an impish way to answer "yes yes" that is just _too_ cute

....when Alan is heading to Dillinger from his cubicle, and a colleague asks if he can help himself with his popcorns.. in italian he asks if he can use his terminal I guess the dubbers found the exchange not "technical" enough....

There isn't much more to add, actually. "lightcycle" is translated as "motolabyrinth" (from my earlier memories I could've sworn it was "turbolabyrinth", that admittley sounds better).

The most interesting adaptation, though, is the pivotal term (and therefore concept) of "user".

"user" is translated literally ("utente") only in the very beginning, when Crom refers to his own. Form then on, users are referred to as "the creatives".

Yesterday I thought about it for the first time, and I've come to the conclusion that it's a brilliant adaptation. You have to consider that an italian audience in the early 80es was even less acquainted with computer jargon than your own. "Utente" was, and still is, a rather bureaucratic term referring to someone in the process of using a public service, like a bus or a teller. On the other hand, nearly everyone using a computer in that timespan was in some way contributing in a creative way, coding, developing..

The adaptation gives an interestig spin to the dialogues: "Creatives request are what computers are for", today, carries out nicely the original message, which could be lost now that everyone "uses" computers.

Don't get me wrong, this is by no means an elitist interpretation. It doesn't mean that only hackers have the right to access the cyberspace- only that being a user should carry with its privileges also a bit of awareness, of ethos- something as simple as knowing the netiquette!

Well, all this IMHO.

Hale-XF11
User

on Sunday, October, 31, 2004 7:17 PM
PING!

I watched Tron the other night.

What really made it good this time around was that I was in a bad mood about something all day, but once I turned it on, I was able to smile again. Certain movies have a way of doing that to me and Tron is one of those.

- thanks to TheReelTodd for informing me of this thread, I totally missed it -where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

-------------------------------------+megalith music+-------------------------------------

Compucore
User

on Sunday, October, 31, 2004 7:21 PM
POOOOONNNNGGGGG! Thats a huge ping dere with a hit of a truck. Yeah I had just seen the commentary asw well for Tron Thought that it was good how they explained things there.

abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Traahn
User

on Tuesday, January, 18, 2005 11:23 PM
This is a belated *ping*

I've wondered where this thread went. I watched Tron shortly after New Year's.

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

Traahn
User

on Tuesday, January, 18, 2005 11:24 PM
Another belated PING
I watched Tron again shortly after New Year's.

Traahn
User

on Tuesday, January, 18, 2005 11:30 PM
And one more PING.

Yes, I've seen it about 3 times since New Year's. Not counting the time or two I had it running the commentary in the background while I worked on some PC stuff.

I got a new DVD player for my PC, and a home DVD player also. Thus, I'm playing catch-up with my doses of Tron! I've been having withdrawls. Fortunately, my friend hooked me up with a good deal on these two DVD players; otherwise, I'd still be having withdrawls. Withdrawl symptoms included: restless nights wondering when I'd see Tron again; hallucinations where I'd see Tron walls everywhere; random utterances of Tron quotes in public; a constant feeling as though I needed to communicate with my user; Pure Energy Source pool dehydration; and a belief that we'd some day live in a free system once again.abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Wednesday, January, 19, 2005 6:48 PM
Catching up on some forgotten TRON pings, Traahn? At least you're pinging in. Most people have forgotten this thread Either that - or no one is watching it? Naaa - can't be that.

You know - I'm REALLY due for some TRON viewing... it's been several months since I've enjoyed the film.

Traahn
User

on Friday, January, 21, 2005 1:09 AM
OMG, I can't believe I almost forgot!! --> ...And here's a MEGA *PING* for getting to see Tron in a movie theater in Portland on 1/1/05!!!

I think people have lost track of this thread. I didn't know where it was until you pointed a newbie to it. I had asked in a different thread where it was a while back, but I don't think anyone ever responded. All's well that ends well! My friend, fellow conscript, I have scored big time with several recent Tron viewings!where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

Tori
User

on Friday, January, 21, 2005 7:27 PM
PING! I saw Tron in the theatre in Portland also! It was the first time I had accually seen it on the big screen, and there were a lot of little kids there.. I bragged about it for two weeks and annoyed my friends.
heheh....
abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

==

Compucore
User

on Friday, January, 21, 2005 9:21 PM
Ping I just finished watching tron on my computer over here

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Traahn
User

on Saturday, January, 22, 2005 1:34 AM
Tori Wrote:PING! I saw Tron in the theatre in Portland also! It was the first time I had accually seen it on the big screen, and there were a lot of little kids there.. I bragged about it for two weeks and annoyed my friends.
heheh....
Excellent! Little "Trons" in the making!! The legacy lives on. What night did you see it? There weren't any kids there when I saw it. But there was an annoying guy that kept making fun of it by chuckling at parts he thought were stupid.

DaveTRON
User

on Monday, January, 24, 2005 1:43 AM
Un-ping.

I've been off work for four weeks, with tons of time on my hands, and I haven't watched TRON once!

...and I call myself a TRON fan? Sheesh.

DaveTRON

Nikster
User

on Thursday, February, 03, 2005 9:01 PM
PING!
I watched it last night on my computer at home. I couldn't sleep and decided to watch a movie. I closed my eyes and used the 'ennie meenie miney moe' selection process, and Tron was the lucky winner

It's the first time I've watched it since I got Neko (my kitty)...he LOVED the lightcycles order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

"The flippity on the google loads the Flynn to the disc battles the guy bad. Day wins. Said nuff!" - DaveTRON

Jack Thompson is to attorneys what Fred Phelps is to organized religion - Me

itom
User

on Thursday, February, 03, 2005 10:21 PM
I've been watching TRON with my 2 year old daughter lately - she likes to point out "daddy's chair" and she likes the lightcycles and for some reason she laughs when Clu get's caught by the recognizer.

We've been watching it on our TV with the DVD player, but tonight I ran it on my old imac (CRT) and it looks soooooo much sweeter. Higher resolution and more viberant colors. I think the best home viewing is on the computer.

DaveTRON
User

on Saturday, February, 05, 2005 5:11 AM
Monday, after I hit all the job sites, I am going to sit down and watch TRON on the home theatre system in my living room. It's time!

DaveTRON

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Saturday, February, 05, 2005 8:24 AM
itom Wrote:I've been watching TRON with my 2 year old daughter lately - she likes to point out "daddy's chair" and she likes the lightcycles and for some reason she laughs when Clu get's caught by the recognizer.

We've been watching it on our TV with the DVD player, but tonight I ran it on my old imac (CRT) and it looks soooooo much sweeter. Higher resolution and more viberant colors. I think the best home viewing is on the computer.

Haaaaaaa!

How cool is that! You're TWO year old daughter is digging the light cycles! That is a very good sign! A future (perhaps even present) TRON fan in the works!

As for me... man, I'm almost going to have to un-ping myself too. I haven't watched TRON yet this year! I really need to re-energize with a good, healthy dose of TRON. I swear - that film ALWAYS leaves me energized and full of great thoughts and creative ideas!

FirstPrevious Page: of 26 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 Another dose of TRON!