Other Sectors 
 PC Build Next Year!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 4 PagesNextLast
Qix77
User

PC Build Next Year!

on Tuesday, August, 12, 2003 3:58 AM
Ever wonder why I'm putting off my next PC build?? This is the concluion of: www.tomshardware.com

...when talking about the current state of PC processors.

"There's a big fan club that is loyal to the Athlon. After all, the evaluation phase of the Athlon 64 will soon be wrapped up in Dresden, so the processor with optional 64-bit addressing will be available on the market. If the Athlon 64 surpasses the P4 in performance, then the market will become active once more. This is the only way to break Intel's current dominance. However, Intel has prepared for this and has the Pentium 5 (Prescott) ready and waiting in the wings."

It's a good time to wait.... (as an AMD user).where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

Re: PC Build Next Year!

on Tuesday, August, 12, 2003 4:19 AM

Man, I don't believe it . . . Intel actually went ahead and did it . . .

They named their new processor the Pentium 5.

That is such an oxymoron, for lack of a better term. "Pentium" basically means five in latin, I believe. So it's the "Five five" processor, then.

on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

curtishart
User

on Tuesday, August, 12, 2003 9:12 AM
redrain85 Wrote:

Man, I don't believe it . . . Intel actually went ahead and did it . . .

They named their new processor the Pentium 5.

That is such an oxymoron, for lack of a better term. "Pentium" basically means five in latin, I believe. So it's the "Five five" processor, then.

And this is better than Five 2, Five 3, Five 4...?

We had a huge laugh when Intel decided to name the Pentium II way back when.

...Marketing...

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

Scuzzy
User

on Tuesday, August, 12, 2003 10:43 AM
redrain85 Wrote:"Pentium" basically means five in latin, I believe.

So...what's "six" in latin?
where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

Come on, you scuzzy data, be in there.

FusionAddict
User

on Tuesday, August, 12, 2003 12:09 PM
Well, the "Pentium" was so named because the first processors in the series need a cooler name than just "586". So, since it was a fifth generation processor, "Pentium" it became. The P-5 will be the Pentium OF the Pentium, so to speak.

The Clu abides, man...

MutoidMan
User

on Tuesday, August, 12, 2003 12:56 PM
They named it "Pentium" because everyone (including AMD) was ripping off Intel and using "386" and "486" in the names of their chips.

Other companies mooching off of their marketing dollars and product reputation didn't sit too well with Intel, so Intel needed a name they could trademark/copyright since you can't trademark/copyright a number. The next chip up was the 586 so "Pentium" (probably from the Greek pente, meaning 5) fit.

Nowadays, everyone associates "Pentium" with Intel's flagship line of desktop processors, so why waste money using a different name that no one knows?order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

"We are, after all, not God." - Cmdr. J. J. Adams
"C is for cookie. That's good enough for me." - Cookie Monster
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

Most recent PC game collection update: 04/12/2012. Check it out!

MutoidMan
User

on Tuesday, August, 12, 2003 1:02 PM
Scuzzy Wrote:So...what's "six" in latin?

From Merriam-Webster.com:

Latin: sex
Greek: hex

"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

curtishart
User

on Tuesday, August, 12, 2003 1:15 PM
MutoidMan Wrote:

I think I prefer the latin.

Oh wait...we're talking about numbers?? abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, August, 12, 2003 4:28 PM
curtishart Wrote:
And this is better than Five 2, Five 3, Five 4...?

We had a huge laugh when Intel decided to name the Pentium II way back when.

...Marketing...

Well, at least the naming wasn't redundant, until now. Why don't they just call it Pentium squared, instead.

Seriously though, I know they won't change the name because it's too well established. But how long can they keep this up? Pentium 6, Pentium 7, Pentium 8, Pentium 9, Pentium 10 . . . eventually, it becomes totally ridiculous.

Compucore
User

on Tuesday, August, 12, 2003 6:30 PM
Redrain they'll keep it up as long as they can. Until they can come up with a newer name for a better line of CPU's. The last time I had checked their web site up. And the last CPU they had made was the Itinium2 CPU which is a better cersion from the first generation for a 64 bit cpu they had made.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Qix77
User

on Tuesday, August, 12, 2003 9:18 PM
MutoidMan Wrote:They named it "Pentium" because everyone (including AMD) was ripping off Intel and using "386" and "486" in the names of their chips.

Very, Very Wrong.....

You really should research this. I'll give you a clue.. 8088 processors... 286, 386, and 486 processors are just classes and not an Intel copyrighted name.

Look it up..abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Qix77
User

on Tuesday, August, 12, 2003 9:18 PM
Ok... I messed something up on posting but I think I just fixed it..where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

MutoidMan
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 2:38 AM
Qix77 Wrote:
MutoidMan Wrote:They named it "Pentium" because everyone (including AMD) was ripping off Intel and using "386" and "486" in the names of their chips.

Very, Very Wrong.....

You really should research this. I'll give you a clue.. 8088 processors... 286, 386, and 486 processors are just classes and not an Intel copyrighted name.

Look it up..

No, I'm very, very right; and you can have your clue back as I have no use for it.

I never said that Intel had copyrighted the numeric processor designations.

I said that everyone was ripping off Intel, i.e. blatantly copying them, by using the same numeric designation for their processors that Intel did. Intel couldn't stop them because you can't copyright a number. Therefore, Intel needed to find a designation they could copyright, which is why Pentium came in place of 586.

Read more carefully next time before you correct someone. You would also do well to be less insolent when correcting someone.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Qix77
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 3:18 AM
MutoidMan Wrote:
Qix77 Wrote:

Very, Very Wrong.....

Look it up..

No, I'm very, very right; and you can have your clue back as I have no use for it.

I never said that Intel had copyrighted the numeric processor designations.

I said that everyone was ripping off Intel, i.e. blatantly copying them, by using the same numeric designation for their processors that Intel did. Intel couldn't stop them because you can't copyright a number. Therefore, Intel needed to find a designation they could copyright, which is why Pentium came in place of 586.

Read more carefully next time before you correct someone. You would also do well to be less insolent when correcting someone.

Sorry..... I must have missunderstood what you where getting at.... didn't mean to start a war..

Besides... What are you basing your infomation on, "AMD, among others, are 'ripping-off' Intel???"....

Just wanting to know..

Scuzzy
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 5:14 AM
Not to cause amymore waves than already has been started, but...I would say he based his statement on personal observation, as have I. I remember not only AMD picking up and using the "386" & "486" moniker but Cyrix as well (they even went ahead and started the 5x86 & 6x86 lines as well). But as stated, Intel was not happy b/c they had not thought to make proper names and everyone was jumping on what they thought was their bandwagon.

And no fighting, boys. Let's always try to be a civil as possible! where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

MutoidMan
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 9:50 AM
Scuzzy Wrote:I remember not only AMD picking up and using the "386" & "486" moniker but Cyrix as well (they even went ahead and started the 5x86 & 6x86 lines as well). But as stated, Intel was not happy b/c they had not thought to make proper names and everyone was jumping on what they thought was their bandwagon.

Correctamundo Scuzzmeister!

As I recall, it was pretty big news when Intel went from numeric designations to the "Pentium" name.

Also, people were wondering what the other companies would start calling their chips, now that they could no longer associate their product with Intel's flagship desktop product for free by using the same numeric designation Intel used.

Qix77,

No problem.

If I may be so bold, I would ask that in the future you try to be a little more tactful when correcting people.abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Scuzzy
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 10:34 AM
MutoidMan Wrote:

"Sexium" - The Sexy CPU (As endorsed by The Ladies Man)
"Hexium" - The CPU designed by and for witches!

Hmm...doesn't seem to have the same kind of feel to it...Pentium 5 it is! The Fifth of Firth, uhh, Fifth!

(Cookie to whoever get that)

Qix77
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 2:35 PM
Well... We weren't really fighting, just ran into a misunderstanding but it did seem a little heated....

Anyway, I do get the point about the processor discussion.

Speaking of which... I have an AMD Althlon 1.2ghz and I'm wanted to overclock it a bit but I'm a little worried about destroying the processor since it is the only computer I have at the time (outside of a 233mhz computer that I no longer use).

Is it easy to damage a processor by slightly overclocking it? And what type of cooling solution should I use?

MutoidMan,

Sorry about that... I've never been very good at writing, or in this case posting... But, thanks for input...

Scuzzy
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 3:11 PM
Overclocking a CPU used to be a good way of getting some more MHz out of a processor but I think that today it's unnecessary. In the days of yore you could get a Pentium 200 and overclock it to 225. That's about a 20% increase. With 1200 you could overclock it but I don't think you would get the same percentage increase with the "safe" numbers and the "unsafe" numbers you would get a larger increase but there's more of a chance of damaging your CPU. Cooling is a must if you are going to O/C. Big fan, big heatsink. My own rig has one fan in the front sucking air in and two (one on the case and the one on the power supply) blowing the air out.

That being said I have overclocked my own CPU by increasing the MHz of the memory. I have increased my HMz from 2.00 GHz to 2.10 GHz. Mostly to get analysis programs to show the CPU as being just over 2 GHZ instead of 1.98. Not that it's increased anything that I can tell. order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 4:00 PM

I used to overclock the CPU and bus a long time ago, but not any more. I still try to overclock the graphics card, though.

I remember the days when I tried to overclock my Pentium 100 CPU to 120 MHz . . . it wouldn't remain stable, so I was stuck at 100. But I had some success on other systems I owned, now and then.

These days though, it's hardly worth it. The gain is minimal, and not worth potentially damaging your computer. You barely notice a difference between 1.2 GHz and say, 1.4 GHz.

Right now, I'm pleased that even my now modest system plays as smooth as butter. I have an AMD 2400+ Athlon XP and a Radeon 8500LE card. I was a little concerned that, at least the video card, may not have enough oomph to deliver a nice experience. But if the demo is any indication, I have nothing to worry about!

I think the video card is more important than the processor, generally, when it comes to gaming these days. Believe me, I would snap up a better card in a second, if they weren't still so damn expensive. The prices on the ATI 9700 and 9800 cards, for example, haven't budged since last year! A 9700 still costs $400 CDN. There's no way I'm going to pay that much. It has to drop below $300 before I'd consider buying.

That's why I ended up getting an 8500 based card, because it was so much more affordable, and still (as I hoped) decent enough to run with all the eye-candy.

Page: of 4 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors 
 PC Build Next Year!