Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
  Tron 2.0 
 Need help! Can't play MP lightcycles anymore!!!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
dIrK
User

on Sunday, August, 03, 2003 8:45 PM
Ok, I've been playing the first pre-demo of Tron 2.0 since the first day it came out. I've had no problems(besides the normal bugs) playing this game until now.

I downloaded the new demo a few days ago and had no problems playing that game as well.

*Let me preface by saying I ONLY play multiplayer lightcycles.

I don't know where or why this problem started but I noticed it maybe last night. And I play just about everyday. When I go into the menu and click Multiplayer, the game hangs/freezes for about 17-20 seconds, EVERYTIME. Then when it gets to the server screen, no games/servers are there. When I hit refresh, it again hangs for about 17-20 seconds. But no servers.

So I thought, hmmmm, maybe it's just something with this demo, so I tried the new MP demo. Which I've already confired works up until today. Nope. Same exact problem. I can play Singleplayer just fine...it's only with MP.

So I completely uninstalled the beta demo(I don't like the 2nd map as much...too small) and reinstalled it. Same F'ING problem! Exactly the same.

So then I thought, well maybe if I download Gamespy Arcade I can bypass the menu debacle. NOPE! For some reason, when I click to download Gamespy, it says "if download hasn't started, click here". Well I click there but nothing happens. So I can't download gamespy.

I was running my cable modem through a router(which was never a problem before), so I thought this might be the problem. NOPE! I used to be able to host my own server when I bypassed the router, but this time when I hosted it said it couldn't list my server on the Gamespy Network. Wtf!?

Please, I'm begging you ppl. Does anybody have a clue as to why this is happening? Is it a conspiracy against me?

MP Lightcycle Superstar,

dIrK

dIrK
User

Re: Need help! Can't play MP lightcycles anymore!!!

on Monday, August, 04, 2003 2:40 AM
This is a testament to Norton Speed Disk.

I did a defrag to see if that would fix the problem but I still got nothing. So then I ran Speed Disk and to my surprise, it fixed the problem!!!

I'm now back to dominating MP Lightcycles.

Thanks for none of your help.

dIrK

dIrK
User

RE: Need help! Can't play MP lightcycles anymore!!!

on Tuesday, September, 19, 2017 12:31 AM
Wow, I was a complete f***ing asshole in this thread.  Jesus.

Compucore
User

on Tuesday, September, 19, 2017 2:00 AM
Sometimes it is not always obviois what the problem is Sometimes you need to do a defrag from time to time. I usually go through a disk cleanup first from this little program. http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=2 I've used it when I was working for a huge government hospital. And it is like only 600-700K the application. And does a really great job on clearing up stuff that is not always deleted or cleared from the normal utilities like disk clean up from the windows. Then do a defrag if it has ever been before on the system after making sure that all the patch has been applied. But this I usually do out of habit personally. To each their own depending on the Operating system itself. 

But at least you fixed the problem. 

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

dIrK
User

on Tuesday, September, 19, 2017 6:21 PM
I appreciate the response.  

So I'm curious...I now have an SSD drive.  I've read/been told that you shouldn't do a defrag on an SSD.  Do you find this to be true in your experience, Compucore?

Compucore
User

on Tuesday, September, 19, 2017 10:05 PM
Well yes it is true for SSD's since there are a limited amounts of reads and writes before the SSD will eventually goes belly up. Since it tends to juggle the data around before it actually commits the writing part of it to the device itself. It is better off to do a defrag on a mechanical hard drive than it is to do it on a SSD. Here is a link to get you up to speed. It is from a guy named Linus from Linus Tech tips. on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSvOfu2PfXk He can explain i a easy and quick way. What you might want to take a look into and linus mentioned this in regards to SSD's is to use Trim. I think it is like a special commend of some sort for SSD's. Which well remove old data off of the chips themselves if it is hasn't been done. 

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

dIrK
User

on Wednesday, September, 20, 2017 12:47 AM
I love Linus tech tips.  I'll definitely look into this more.  Thanks for the insight bro.  

Compucore
User

on Wednesday, September, 20, 2017 8:09 PM
dIrK Wrote:I love Linus tech tips.  I'll definitely look into this more.  Thanks for the insight bro.  
No problem what so ever. I am also subscribed to his channel as well. I do have my own on Youtube. Which I had a number of years already. I've been doing some extra work on it more recently like the last 6-7 months playing some pool at the local pool hall, Special antique compters like the SGI O2, and a little bit of vlogging. I'll be starting another little extra in regards t model rocketry as well. And setting up my three servers that I have over here. Once of them I am setting up with a Linux base OS or a Unix veriant from Distrowatch.com. So I know I will be naming at least two of them from the Original tron /tron legacy over here. And maybe the two others with a windows base varient for fun of course. Once for good old BBSing. (Thats Bulleting Board System way before the internet ever came out.) And another for learning some admin stuff on a 2003/2008 server OS. And that sure enough is on http://www.youtube.com/user/compucore so enjoy. 

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

dIrK
User

on Thursday, September, 21, 2017 9:55 PM
I'll have to check out your channel.  Thanks for the link.

I've actually wanted to create my own channel on YouTube and/or Twitch.  I wish streaming etc. was as mainstream and easy back in 2004 when this game was at its peak.  I'd love to have a Tron 2.0 MP Lightcycle stream, channel whatever.  I would love to do this, to this day.  I just fear that this game has run its course and isn't able to be brought back from the dead.  It saddens me.  I miss this game.  And not just because I was good at it.  I always saw the potential in this game, in the same vein as Rocket League or other e-sports games.  There is an unbelievable amount of strategy and depth to MP lightcycles.  Honestly, I would love to have people watch me play, and maybe even watch how I play to help grow the players' potential and just grow the game in general.  I hung out with a bunch of great people back in the day playing lightcycles in a local lan party.  I had a blast and it was fun to see others' approach to playing this game.  I miss those days dearly.

I still have hope for a comeback.  I currently have Tron 2.0 installed and check servers occasionally in hopes that someone will show up while I'm in a lobby.

Let me know if you ever want to hit the grid.

Compucore
User

on Tuesday, September, 26, 2017 11:51 AM
Well there still nothing stopping you in order to make a retro stream of Tron 2.0 of a classic game on twitch or youtube. I've seen some people do that for older games like Castle Wallenstein and the Doom 1 & 2 communities still. Right now I don't have a computer set up with a proper version of windows at this point. I've been aminly on either a linux machine for other reasons. And a old Thinkcenter for some other number crunching affairs for work. I will have to take the time to get my second Precision 530 to set it up as a gaming rig for Tron 2.0 since it has dual xeon processors. which should be more than enough for it to play and still keep up with everyone for the game. I've not played it for the longest time. I used to with some of the original tron babe and guys from here when it was very popular at the time. 

I will let you know when i do have it set up for it. We ca have a couple o rounds of mp lightcycle or the arena's ofdisc throwing. 

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

dIrK
User

on Wednesday, September, 27, 2017 9:49 PM
Xeon processors...badass.  

For sure if we hit the grid, I'm down for some Disc and/or Arena.  I never much cared for Disc(Arena is pretty fun though), but I know it had a pretty large following as well.  I remember this guy that was considered(at least he considered it haha) as the best Disc player out there.  He would come over and play Lightcycles occasionally and accuse me of using macros hahaha.  Good times. 

And you make a good point, Compucore.  I guess there's nothing stopping me from creating a YouTube channel or a Twitch stream for MP Lightcycles.  But since no one really plays anymore, it would probably just start out as videos for the single player lightcycles.  I'd also need to acquire a PS/2 keyboard as my current wireless just can't keep up with my keystrokes.  I've also been looking into one of those Blue Yeti microphones.  One day, hopefully.  

Compucore
User

on Thursday, September, 28, 2017 10:26 AM
dIrK Wrote:Xeon processors...badass.  

For sure if we hit the grid, I'm down for some Disc and/or Arena.  I never much cared for Disc(Arena is pretty fun though), but I know it had a pretty large following as well.  I remember this guy that was considered(at least he considered it haha) as the best Disc player out there.  He would come over and play Lightcycles occasionally and accuse me of using macros hahaha.  Good times. 

And you make a good point, Compucore.  I guess there's nothing stopping me from creating a YouTube channel or a Twitch stream for MP Lightcycles.  But since no one really plays anymore, it would probably just start out as videos for the single player lightcycles.  I'd also need to acquire a PS/2 keyboard as my current wireless just can't keep up with my keystrokes.  I've also been looking into one of those Blue Yeti microphones.  One day, hopefully.  
Just start with what you have. Even when I do my video's here on my youtube channel. I may not have all the equioment in high definition of at least 720p. Like for instance my camcorder is only the old standard 720X480 which is the old CRT resolution. It does the job for what I need it for. And a microphone hooked which is like a $2.50 cheap desk microphone. Even my webcam when I am recording on my computer. Which was line a 8.1 megapixel. Start with something simple. Once you know you got things going and anything raking in where you making money then go for the upgrades to higher and bettter. You be surprise what you can do with the minimal spec. There is also Shotcut that you can download for Mac, PC, or Linux for free as for editing things together. 
I'm using movie maker for basic editing. And for some of the graphic intro's I use Openshot on my linux machine since it uses Bleder for creating the animation. Just the time factor of getting things together. I will let you know when I am ready over here on my end to play tron 2.0 Since I have to get my second precision 530 running again. But I have to trouble shoot the snot out of it. And maybe do some general cleanup on the inside of it. Since its only recognizing some of the hardware in it. Reseating the RAMBUS memory might do the trick of getting the fuill 2 gigs on it. And a few other things for it too. 

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

dIrK
User

on Thursday, September, 28, 2017 11:47 PM
There's no question I have caviar taste(when it comes to computers) on a tuna fish budget.

I definitely may lean on you a bit with some of the more technical aspects if they come up.  I always enjoy people who know a ton about computers.  I consider myself tech savvy(built my own computer etc.), but you're on a whole other level.  So I genuinely appreciate the input.

I actually do have a headphone mic combo after rummaging through some of my stuff.  It's cheap but it'll do.  Once I get a PS/2 kb, I can move on to the next step.  

dIrK
User

on Tuesday, October, 03, 2017 7:38 PM
Ok so I picked up a ps/2 kb and wow is it night and day.  Much better response time.  In fact if I remember correctly when I was playing back in 2003-2005, I was using a usb keyboard.  As you probably know, ps2 averages around 1400 keys per second and USB is around 125-500 kps.   

I'm still quite a bit rusty as I only did a practice run on the tutorial for a few minutes.  I assume that I will have a short youtube video up by the end of the week.  I will probably do the vids in segments.  For instance, I'll start with the tutorial and work my way down.  I'd like to be able to start slow and if anyone watches(hopefully...the more the merrier honestly), see the process of my gridplay.  I hope to shed some of that rust too haha.  I'll most likely include audio commentary as well.

I'll keep you posted.  

Compucore
User

on Wednesday, October, 04, 2017 2:06 AM
dIrK Wrote:Ok so I picked up a ps/2 kb and wow is it night and day.  Much better response time.  In fact if I remember correctly when I was playing back in 2003-2005, I was using a usb keyboard.  As you probably know, ps2 averages around 1400 keys per second and USB is around 125-500 kps.   

I'm still quite a bit rusty as I only did a practice run on the tutorial for a few minutes.  I assume that I will have a short youtube video up by the end of the week.  I will probably do the vids in segments.  For instance, I'll start with the tutorial and work my way down.  I'd like to be able to start slow and if anyone watches(hopefully...the more the merrier honestly), see the process of my gridplay.  I hope to shed some of that rust too haha.  I'll most likely include audio commentary as well.

I'll keep you posted.  
Well PS/2's keyboards and mouses are more on the backbone of the motherboard. In otherwords. That little connection the PS/2 and the ye old 5pin connections that they used on like the first XT and AT machines. Are using IRQ requests number 1. Which gets the attention of the computer itself under windows and Mac and even under linux. A lot faster in typing of course since it's not going the long way around with the USB connections. Its not to say USB are bad. By all means they are great for multiple connections like cameras, mouses, printers, plotters, scanners and a whole slew of other things. 
Call me an real old bugget when it comes to these things with the computer. I'kk take a ps/2 keyboard and mouse over anything that is connected through the usb. Whether its wired or wireless. (Gringing at the thought of using a wireless mouse at work. Got I hate those things with a passion. Especially when the batteries go on the brink.) Love them to death on the PS/2. I think I even have them on my SGI O2 computer as well. 

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

dIrK
User

on Wednesday, October, 04, 2017 3:03 AM
Haha agreed that wireless can be frustrating.  I like the freedom of them, but they don't compare to usb or better yet ps/2.  I've been using my wireless for so long, I forgot how nice it is to use a mushy keyboard that responds just so much nicer.

I need to get to bed lol but I just wanted to do a quick update.  I decided to upload a quick video of basically a test run.  I finally got the mic to be loud enough and didn't really care much about the quality of the gameplay...as you'll see haha.  I did several videos before getting the mic to be loud enough.

Here's the link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJW5231yOds&feature=youtu.be

Hope y'all like it.

dIrK
User

on Wednesday, October, 04, 2017 5:11 PM
I've just completed my Bin Zone runthrough.  Upload coming soon...

Oh, and most likely I will be posting about new runs with edits instead of making new replies everytime. 

Edit: Bin Zone is now live. https://youtu.be/smAWKOK2MsE

dIrK
User

on Thursday, October, 12, 2017 5:48 PM
It's probably easier for people to see if I just keep making a new post.  Plus I haven't made one in a while.  Just came to say that I will be doing a let's play for low level crunch next and it should be up in the next few days.

Thanks for the views and the likes!!!

dIrK
User

on Monday, October, 16, 2017 12:58 AM
Low level crunch is up!

https://youtu.be/hjM3qb6-ycg

Compucore
User

on Wednesday, October, 18, 2017 12:15 PM
dIrK Wrote:Low level crunch is up!

https://youtu.be/hjM3qb6-ycg
Looking good. I just had seen it right now. I have subscrubed as wel for you since I am mostly on youtube over here. I do a lot of vlogging myself there on a weekly basis. you can catch me here on my channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/compucore And its fine if you turned off the message section. But at least you have one additional subscriber on your channel. I'll be picking up another computer on the cheap side from one of my suppliers over here. So I don't have to go from scratch. Its either going to be an Dell optiplex 760 with a core 2 quad with 8 gigs of ram and a 250 gig hard drive. or the Dell precision 3400 with about the same speed processor. the only thing I might have to do is get a nvidia card for it that tron 2.0 can be played with. my current machine is a single core pemtium with 3 gigs of ram. And windows 7 on it. Its chuggling along slowly.  the price range is anut 89-100 smackers cash for the computer itself. And if I can squeeze in a 4 terabyte drive from them I should be fine in regards to that. Since I know tron 2.0 requires T&L thing for it to ruin. 

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  Tron 2.0