Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade 
 Hand built Tron Mini Cab

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page

Hand built Tron Mini Cab
on Friday, December, 29, 2017 9:23 AM
First off as I am new here Hi!.  I have always been very fond of the Tron franchise and have good memories of playing the Arcade version when I was a kid. When I stared this project Tron was not in my mind but I wanted to build a mame cabinet for my man cave.  Also I have a lot of junk lying around that I could not be bothered to take to the tip.  So I started to formulate an idea using two old chest's of draws.  The missus looked at me like I was barking when I screwed the two sets together but slowly it started taking shape.  And old child's Toy story bed was the next donor for wood panels.  On completion and after adding the joystick and buttons everything worked really well and I had that arcade feel I was after.  But it still looked like two sets of draws screwed together so after some though, a re watch of legacy and dribbling at the Original arcade cab with its memories I decided to Tron it.  I wanted something that was gonna last in my Garage/man cave all the year, It gets very cold in winter so gave it a first coat of outdoor wood stain.  The decals turned out to be the hardest thing as I wanted to make them myself but could only print a maximum size of A4.  I decided to use transparent printable adhesive sheets and then sealed the art with another sheet over the top.  No paper waterproof should last forever .  Only one problem. Wherever the decals needed to go had to be white behind to show up anything.  So to second layer of paint with white kitchen/bathroom paint.  After allowing this to dry I went about applying them and this was one of the hardest things I have ever done crafting wise.  After the decals looked spot on I now had the gruelling task of painting carefully around them with black wood stain.  Was a mission with a lot of profanity but then end product just shouts TRON!.  Now I have something resembling a mini Tron cab I need a spinner.  Thankfully I found a guide online on how to turn a optical mouse into a spinner and set about engineering that.  Works like a charm so on went the spinner decal I made.  Now lighting.  I had a nice LED light lying around so coloured it black light uv and stuck it up inside the cabs hood with Velcro tabs things.  After some touching up here and there and 100 other things I was finally happy with it and playing Tron on it is a dream although you have to use the button closest to the spinner to fire.  I never set out to build a 100% authentic tron machine but this was built on a serious budget, I will break down the costs in a later post but it really gives that Tron feel.  The Sony LCD is perfect with is aspect ratio and built in speakers so the tron sounds boom from the cab.  So much more I could add but this is turning to awallotfext so there was just one more thing to do.  I got 5m of neon string and set about making a Recognizer for my wall.  It turned out really well and gives that Flynn;s feel.  

I will upload some more snaps of the inner art and side art soon. Hope you like comments appreciated. Game on!.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade 
 Hand built Tron Mini Cab