GridBug Project! Check It Out!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
BigE73
User

on Monday, May, 04, 2015 9:41 PM
Greetings Programs!

While I have been working on the Challenge Coin Project, I had another project I was working on. Namely, a model kit to construct a GridBug.

I was always bummed that Disney never released a GridBug toy (that I know of) so I decided to do something about it. The kit consists of the following parts:

Once assembled, It looks like this:

Here's some more pics:

...and here it is by a soda can for scale:

The head can turn lef/right and pan up/down as well.
It was not easy to build; I will need to tweak/resize the parts so that it may more easily be assembled. It uses pins made from lengths of 1.75mm natural PLA filament: I had to drill out some holes. also, you need to use either super glue or Plastruct Plastic Weld to adhere the parts (PLA does not like most adhesives, except for those I just mentioned) I used Plastruct on this example.

I was hoping to include a kit with every challenge coin I send out. However, I want to make sure that it goes together fairly easy. I also need to make the instruction sheet. So, for now, I put it in the fan art section for everyone to enjoy. Eventually, I may make kits available for you guys. I'll be sure to host the files on Thingiverse for those with a 3d printer as well.

Let me know what you guys think of this!

I can probably make make that, Just ask.

jediknight0
User

RE: GridBug Project! Check It Out!

on Tuesday, May, 05, 2015 5:40 AM
Neat idea!

I'm  looking forward to printing this out.  Please let us know when you get the files posted to thingiverse.

What 3d modeling program do you use?

BigE73
User

on Tuesday, May, 05, 2015 8:48 AM
Thanks; I'll be sure to post a link to the files when I've worked out all the "bugs"

I use Wings3D a lot, Kind of dated, but it has a lot of features I like, it's great for modelling complex meshes and shapes with precision and it's free. I also use OpenSCAD quite a bit but scripting can be a pain. I use Inkscape to generate SVG paths for complex extrusions (text, line art etc). I use other tools and programs as well, like netfabb and Meshlab for cleanup, etc. 3D scanning with ReconstructME, etc. I use SketchUp a little too. I have a handful of other programs I use as well, but I only occasionally use them, so they're not really worth mentioning.

I plate/slice in ReplicatorG or Makerware (using MBSlicer or skeinforge), Pronterface (using slic3r) and Repetier Host (a variety of slicers) depending on which machine I'm printing from, and the project I'm working on.

I also use TinkerCAD a lot; it's awesome for quick compositing and throwing ideas together quickly. I designed this entire model (as well as the part layout on the parts sheet) using TinkerCAD. Unfortunately, that's partially why it needs to be tweaked, as it's not the best for size accuracy. However, I can definitely export the files, and use some of my better tools to get things to scale so those filament pins will fit like a glove with no cleanup or post-processing.

It took me over two hours to assemble this kit because of all the post work (drilling out tiny holes, filing parts to fit better, etc.) once It's been cleaned up to avoid all that, it should take the average model builder less than 30 minutes to assemble. still it was a fun and challenging build.

I also need to rework the "eye" in the head, because I used translucent green, the eye sort of shows through the top of the head a little. I'll be able to fix that by redesigning the part though.

I will definitely share the files once I feel satisfied that they are perfect (or as close to perfect as possible.)

I can probably make make that, Just ask.

Kat
User

on Tuesday, May, 05, 2015 11:31 PM
I love this!  The gridbugs always amused me.

What would be really fun is to find a way to mount the legs to the body on springs, so you can get it to move in that sort of bouncy way they do in the film.

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Fan Fiction & Art