Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Renting a #D TV not that expensive after all...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Moses613
User

on Tuesday, September, 03, 2013 7:10 PM
Too bad so few good posts are getting few to zero replies here these days.

Anyhow, we all know very well that TL was shot in 3D and meant to be viewed as such. The 3D serves the story and is not used as a mere gimmick. It is impossible, for instance, to conceive of the true vastness of the Sea of Simulation or the 500,000 light cycle arena without seeing it in 3D. And though we may have watched it many times by now on quality 1080p screens on BluRay, we do tend to forget about the 3D ness of the movie.

Well good news is here...I found out that renting a sizeable 3D set is an affordable doing. A national rental chain near my place, for instance, will rent a great 3D set for $45 a week. Now isn't this movie, maybe once every 6 months to a year, worth seeing in 3D again? And it's not as though there aren't other great 3D movies out there for rent, and rentinga 3D copy of T:L isn't that tough to do. You could watch those other movies in between your watching of T:L, have yourself a nice little 3D movie fest.

I challenge all of us to seek out this affordable pleasure in the same way, as I have always said, that everyone should have a gourtmet meal at least once a year at a 5-star restaurant, just so remember how good something can be when it's experienced at it's best, be it food or T:L.

Keep in mind that Kosinski himself raved about the quality and brightness of the 3D home release, saying it looked superb and properly vivid on 3D TV sets. in the theater there can be brightness problems because the light you are seeing is reflected off the screen. But with a TV it's coming at you with the screen itself as the original source of what you're seeing. 3D has had it's problems with brightness, but apparently 3D TV sets have far less of a problem with that.

DrP
User

RE: Renting a #D TV not that expensive after all...

on Saturday, September, 07, 2013 11:01 AM
I think you make some good points. This of course depends on whether you actually like watching movies in 3D.

There is a substantial portion of the population that simply does not like watching 3D. I unfortunately am one of them. I went and saw Tron: Legacy at the movies in 3D, own the Blu-ray (both 3D and 2D blu-rays), and have seen it play on 3D sets. The following is of course just my opinion so people get a different experience and reward from watching 3D. I respect all opinions.

The main reasons I enjoy watching 2D vs 3D:

1) Hate wearing the extra set of (sun)glasses.

2) The picture fidelity is decreased. This has been noted on 3D reviews, the 2D versions simply appear more sharp, better contrast level. This most likely is likely from left and right eye frame bleeding as the glasses are not able to block out 100% of the other frames light.

3) Huge drop in brightness. Inherent to 3D technology that uses either polarized (usually at movie theaters) or active shutter (most home TV's) is that 50% of the light is blocked to the eye at any one point. In actuality, the light decrease can be substantially more due to the technology, even up to 88% according to a reference I found linked below. That is really a big drop. Your essentially watching the movie with sunglasses on.

4) It gives me eye fatigue. After about 2 hours of watching I just want to tear those glasses off. Some people experience pain and nausea with the glasses, luckily I don't get that. But my eyes just feel really tired after about an hour of watching.

5) 3D does not look real. It's not real 3D. And this is because they have not fixed the issue of eye convergence (known as accommodation). In real life, if you look at a far away image vs close, not only is the image on different parts of your eye, but your actual eyes point closer together or farther away (like being cross eyed). With 3D movies, you get the different image locations, but your eyes are at the same angle (at the point of the screen). This is unnatural and your brain knows that something is wrong. Until they fix this issue, 3D will always look fake (to me). Ask your parents, they were watching polarized 3D films in the theater when they were growing up as well. The fundamental technology is the same (granted improved over time).

6) This does not happen to me, but about 10% of the population actually does not process 3D movies and they see a 2D picture even with glasses. Another 30% of the population has "weak" stereoscopic vision and perceive the 3D image to a lesser degree.

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_film#Health_effects

Once again, these are my personal opinions. I love watching movies (especially Tron: Legacy) on my big screen in the dedicated home theater room. But I decided to go 2D as I still view 3D as a gimmick. Simply one that we forgot was already tried 50 years ago in the theaters. IMHO. abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

END OF LINE

Kat
User

on Monday, September, 09, 2013 12:15 AM
It also depends on whether you have $45/week to drop on having a TV. I don't know anyone who would think that was cheap, sorry.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Argent
User

on Monday, September, 09, 2013 6:22 AM
Kat Wrote:It also depends on whether you have $45/week to drop on having a TV. I don't know anyone who would think that was cheap, sorry.

I'm generally inclined to agree with you, though with how expensive movies have gotten, splitting the cost of a one-week rental with a couple of friends would cost each person about as much as a single movie ticket. Rent a few 3D movies to watch over the week, and it might actually be worth doing once or twice a year...on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

DrP
User

on Tuesday, September, 10, 2013 2:46 PM
Kat Wrote:It also depends on whether you have $45/week to drop on having a TV. I don't know anyone who would think that was cheap, sorry.

I have never "rented" a TV, but $45 doesn't seem all that much. A concert/live production ticket regularly runs over $100 (and that's for 2 hours of entertainment and possibly the cheapest seats in the house). If you go into the city, they may charge you $30 just to park the car while your watching the show. A higher tier cable/satellite TV monthly package can go well over $100 per month. Dinner for one at a nice restaurant will cost you more than $45.

Of course this is a value judgment, and my expenditure on home entertainment exceeds average. But, I would consider $45 for multiple hours of entertainment rather inexpensive. IMHO.

END OF LINE

Kat
User

on Tuesday, September, 10, 2013 9:01 PM
Argent Wrote:

I'm generally inclined to agree with you, though with how expensive movies have gotten, splitting the cost of a one-week rental with a couple of friends would cost each person about as much as a single movie ticket. Rent a few 3D movies to watch over the week, and it might actually be worth doing once or twice a year...

That's true, depending on how you feel about going to the movies, and whether you have other things you want to watch. I guess I was thinking in terms of renting it JUST to watch one movie, or having it around long-term.
where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

DrP
User

on Wednesday, September, 11, 2013 6:11 PM
For me personally, it's not the $45 that would be the major barrier. Rather, the time and effort it would take me to bring home a +65" screen. I'm not sure if I could even fit that into a passenger car? Not to mention the time it takes to set up, and properly calibrate (if we're going all out after all).

END OF LINE

Moses613
User

on Wednesday, September, 11, 2013 6:33 PM
Most rental companies will bring the set to your door and pick it up when you're done. Also, try asking for a deal on the set if you only want to keep it for, say, a week. And though this probably goes without saying, but do be sure to get the 3D Blu-Ray from Netflix before shelling out for the TV rental, shall we?

I have no idea why anyone would write a reply to this post having to do with how they *don't* like 3D. And to cut most of it from Wikipedia on top of that. This post thus in no way involves you so why bother replying to it? You are no going to rent a 3D set anyhow.

Of course for those of us wanting to go a little cheaper, renting and watching it on the biggest-ass 1080p set the store has can be a pretty impressive way to watch it. where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

DrP
User

on Wednesday, September, 11, 2013 6:54 PM
Moses613 Wrote:Most rental companies will bring the set to your door and pick it up when you're done. Also, try asking for a deal on the set if you only want to keep it for, say, a week. And though this probably goes without saying, but do be sure to get the 3D Blu-Ray from Netflix before shelling out for the TV rental, shall we?

A TV rental for a week and delivery for $45 actually sounds like an incredible bargain. Also, I didn't think Netflix offers 3D blu-ray releases of most main stream movies? I subscribe to Netflix Blu-ray delivery and they never give the option of getting 3D versions of big blockbuster releases. I don't think you can actually rent the 3D version of Tron: Legacy from Netflix (at least in the US, I don't know about other countries) (I just checked and Netflix's Blu-ray info sheet of Tron: Legacy does not mention 3D).

I have no idea why anyone would write a reply to this post having to do with how they *don't* like 3D. And to cut most of it from Wikipedia on top of that. This post thus in no way involves you so why bother replying to it? You are no going to rent a 3D set anyhow.

Well, first I would like to say that I respect all opinions. This post was about "renting a TV for viewing" and "3D". I didn't just respond because "I don't like 3D", I responded first and foremost as I thought the concept of renting a TV for a viewing was interesting. It just happens that I wrote about "my personal experience with 3D." As for my lack of 3D appeal, that is just my opinion and I respect the fact that others will have different opinions. I also didn't "cut most of it from wikipedia", I went through some personal and common reasons which many individuals cite as problems with 3D and then I simply referenced wikipedia. My negative experiences with 3D are very common, so it's not surprising that my comments will have similar topics on wikipedia.

The other thing is that these forums have been kind of dead lately, so what's so wrong with making some posts that are related but offer different view points?

Of course for those of us wanting to go a little cheaper, renting and watching it on the biggest-ass 1080p set the store has can be a pretty impressive way to watch it.

I completely agree, 3D or 2D!order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

END OF LINE

Moses613
User

on Monday, September, 16, 2013 6:10 PM
I am sorry for sounding glib concerning the $45 a week. I know few programs, including me, can afford such things in this strained economy. The numbers, the gov says, may be getting better, but they're still in the toilet. But it's still good to tuck that rental info away for some future time. Maybe one could get a few hard-core movie fans together and host a weekend-long 3D movie fest. Then you could slip T:L 3D into the play list. Maybe some of us live in the same city? I'm just sayin.......

For those of us who do not now have 3D sets or the ability to rent one, it still brightens my day knowing that seeing this movie in 3D again, as it was meant to be seen, isn't out of the question. I hope it does the same for others.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY