TRON: LEGACY 
 TRON MMO size, scale, and environment

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
PGD1
User

on Tuesday, May, 21, 2013 3:39 AM
I read in a previous post that aiming for the size and scale of World of Warcraft was not the goal. I would rethink this. The reason people play World of Warcraft is because 1) it is a massively open and real-world environment. Lessons from other MMO's like DDO should be something to think about. DDO was a closed environment that was very segmented i.e. content was compartmentalized into zones/instances. Moving around from one part of the "world" to another made it seem very un-open. WoW is one giant open environment. You can literally walk from one end of a continent to another without "zoning" in or out. People play WoW because 1) its huge and open, and 2) content content content. The mistake newer games make (SWTOR) launched and really had no captivating content. So, I very much believe if this game will be successful, it needs to be on a Gigantic scale from the very start! Better to take the time and get it right than rush to bring a product to market with the 'promise' of expanding. People will sigh up, get bored, and go back to WoW. Second, if you want to compete with WoW (which, I'm sorry, you need to know WoW rules the MMO world and if you want any chance of success you need to play at their level), you have to create something on a scale so amazing it will keep people interested. Third, I would TOTALLY model the play style after WoW. There are no two ways around it. There are thousands of people (like myself) that would LOVE to bail on WoW for something else. But if its not WoW-like, its not going to keep me interested. There's my 2 cents worth.

J
User

RE: TRON MMO size, scale, and environment

on Tuesday, May, 21, 2013 3:34 PM
Well, I totally disagree with you on SWTOR. A solid year of playing it, one character, and there's still so much I haven't crossed off the proverbial list. that, and Bioware can deliver on story content (too bad they aren't CONTINUING to develop there)

I could see it. Se it post-Legacy (rebuild the Grid) or even in Modern Encom ala 2.0 (which the films aren't likely to touch since 2.0 was given an Orwellian retcon).

It's an entire universe in there, one we created, but it's beyond us now. Really. It's outgrown us. You know, every time you shut off your computer...do you know what you're doing? Have you ever reformatted a hard drive? Deleted old software? Destroyed an entire universe?"

-- Jet Bradley, Tron: Ghost in the Machine on why being a User isn't necessarily a good thing.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY