Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Who fed Marv when Sam was away in the gRID?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Moses613
User

on Wednesday, March, 13, 2013 8:52 PM
Well I think he may have gone pretty hungry had Sam been trapped in the Grid for a few days. Or more. Do you think Marv will be back for the sequel? Will he insist on top billing? Will his agent insist on more money than he got for the original? Does he have his own fan club? Will he have a spinoff of his own? How about we get a movie out where he gets trapped in a calculator instead of a supercomputer. You know, because he's smaller than Sam.

ShadowSpark
User

RE: Who fed Marv when Sam was away in the gRID?

on Wednesday, March, 13, 2013 9:20 PM
Sam was only in the Grid for about 10min User-time.

{A very big thanks to FlynnOne for the pic! And to Wulfeous for sharpening the details!*huggles both*}
{Because people always seem to guess wrong, I'm saying it here: I'm female!!! And my name is Spark!!!}

Tron Lives!

Please click here to help my family out.

Kat
User

on Wednesday, March, 13, 2013 10:59 PM
^What I was going to say.

Flynn tells Sam the portal is only open for "about 8 hours." We've debated before whether he meant 8 hours "our" time or 8 hours "Grid" time and figured he meant the latter (also the former, according to the time lineup they gave us of RW vs Grid time, would make 8 RW hours a pretty long time in-Grid). But even if the former, that's not a long time for Marv to go without food.

(Can of worms: as stated before, I think they really limited themselves when they made the portal only open about 8 Grid hours/10 RW minutes, but okay. I guess I can see them doing it to explain why Flynn may've only popped into the Grid briefly [if you believe T:B] and I suppose 10 minutes is plausible if the laser really draws that much energy. Still: makes it hard to get things done. Esp. for those of us who write fanfic and may want adventures that last longer than that.)

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

ShadowSpark
User

on Wednesday, March, 13, 2013 11:03 PM
Kat Wrote:Esp. for those of us who write fanfic and may want adventures that last longer than that.)

*shrugs* I just say that Flynn/Sam/Quorra/whomever left the other person inside over night or something. Or set the portal to open again later.

{A very big thanks to FlynnOne for the pic! And to Wulfeous for sharpening the details!*huggles both*}
{Because people always seem to guess wrong, I'm saying it here: I'm female!!! And my name is Spark!!!}

Tron Lives!

Please click here to help my family out.

TRON.dll
User

on Thursday, March, 14, 2013 1:26 AM
I still don't understand why the laser can't be activated from within The Grid. If the laser is activated from the computer, wouldn't the ability to do so also work from within the computer? The way I've always seen Users in the computer is that they can essentially do anything they could do from a command prompt in the real world, albeit in a metaphorical way from within the computer (for example, forging permissions would be like Flynn disguising himself as the guard program in the original Tron).abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

Kat
User

on Thursday, March, 14, 2013 8:55 AM
TRON.dll Wrote:I still don't understand why the laser can't be activated from within The Grid. If the laser is activated from the computer, wouldn't the ability to do so also work from within the computer? The way I've always seen Users in the computer is that they can essentially do anything they could do from a command prompt in the real world, albeit in a metaphorical way from within the computer (for example, forging permissions would be like Flynn disguising himself as the guard program in the original Tron).

Bugs me, too. In my mind, it would have been more plausible to say Flynn got trapped because Clu either managed to change Flynn's permissions somehow so he COULDN'T activate the portal from the inside, or he destroyed/repurposed whatever program or protocol was in charge of digitization so it wasn't possible (and then rebuilt it later under his control, to anticipate that another user would come in once he sent the page). Same end accomplished, makes more sense IMO. But, okay.

One of the first things I did when writing a post-T:L fic is to say that when Sam rebuilt the Grid, he added this feature. As well as moving the portal in from the Outlands-- because I never could figure out why Flynn would put it in a remote area rather than just building a secure building to house it that only he had the permissions to access. (Surely that would be more secure, anyway. Just putting it way out in the middle of nowhere wouldn't be enough to discourage a determined program from getting out. Or, if we assume that the reason Clu needed Flynn's disc to exit the Grid was because Flynn did have some sort of special permissions, then he obviously already put security measures in place. I suppose you could consider it a form of multifaceted security, but really, once you've done whatever you need to do to take the disc from "the creator," it's not like you're going to stop at making a little flight out to the portal... that'd be like locking your car door and then saying that the fact that you rolled your window up most of the way is an added level of security because it would make it slightly harder for a bad guy to get in than if you left the window down...)

However, you could argue that creating a way to open the portal from the inside is technically not really canon (it's not exactly non-canon, just in a gray area-- it doesn't go against canon per se, but it's also not explicitly stated in canon, and some people prefer not to write in a gray area...).

ShadowSpark Wrote:
Kat Wrote:Esp. for those of us who write fanfic and may want adventures that last longer than that.)

*shrugs* I just say that Flynn/Sam/Quorra/whomever left the other person inside over night or something. Or set the portal to open again later.

Still too dangerous for my comfort. What if the person who is supposed to let you out forgets, or something happens to them? What if whatever you set in place to reopen the portal automatically, fails? What if there is some reason you really need to exit before the portal reopens (whether automatically or by someone else's hand)? I wouldn't want to go in there without being able to personally control my exit at whatever time I choose... abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

CardioFunk
User

on Thursday, March, 14, 2013 2:37 PM
When running a system full of sentient AI's, the exit would be hacked sooner or later. So it makes sense to lock it from the outside. But then again, you still need the key to get out even while the portal is active.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Moses613
User

on Thursday, March, 14, 2013 5:05 PM
Okay well I guess Marv would have been fine in the amount of time Sam was gone and then probably managed to get back. Plus he had just been fed that hamburger,k which for him would have been one huge meal, though dogs, especially small ones, should not be fed table scraps. My dachshund mix once got a hold of a scrap of cooked steak and was pooping funny for three days. Took him to the vet who said he had gastritis and prescribed $75 worth of meds to quell his....whatever it was. Gastritis.

"Like a safe, it can only be opened from the outside." Not true at all. I am a former locksmith with over 20 years experience. I can tell you that, provided with a screwdriver or anyting that can be used as such, safes are quite easy to open from the inside because you can just remove the inner panel and have complete access to the locking mechanism which is, form the inside, not protected by a steel door. Houdini used to work at a safe manufacturing company, and he knew this, which was how he escaped from safes so easily. He should be admired as a great locksmith just as much as he was a magician. They are all but one in the same.

1982program
User

on Sunday, March, 17, 2013 1:24 PM
The time difference between real world and grid is the reason why I think the explosion / implosion we see at the end of T:L is actually Sam's download to his flashdrive.

That would open up a world of freedom to the writer's of TR3N.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY