TR2N home project calling on all artists

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
tron_fanfare
User

on Wednesday, August, 27, 2008 8:52 PM
Hey everyone!

I don't post that often but with the new TR2N mania that seems to be taking over the 'sector lately I had an idea. I am building a new computer and I figured why not mod the case and incorporate a TR2N theme! Here is the case I got from newegg some time ago:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811105011

I was thinking since it already comes with a blue illuminated fan on the side I could augment that with some blue CCD tube lighting or that flexible stuff tron guy uses on his suit helmet.

What I need is suggestions on a paint sceme for this case. I am experienced with painting and was planning to use automotive lacquer to give it durability. I will also be clear coating this as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The other artists here always have impeccable taste so I came here first.

Thanks in advance.

"How are ya gonna run the universe if you can't even answer a few unsolvable problems?" - Flynn in the real world

Qix77
User

Re: TR2N home project calling on all artists

on Wednesday, August, 27, 2008 8:59 PM
My brother did something neat with his custom mini-pin cab. He used translucent plastic/fiber optics to cause a really neat red glow that looks like a glowing circuit board on one project. Let me ask him how he was able to pull it off and I'll get back to ya if you are interested...

I'm thinking about doing something similar with my case mod.

BTW: It's good to see you back at the forums...

Jademz
User

on Wednesday, August, 27, 2008 10:28 PM
I'm going to help you on this, as best I can atm.

You need atleast 1 180mm fan:
Find UV additives for epoxy.(smooth-on)
add them to a inside laminate on the case. use the led pigments that activate the new additives. voila. make the epoxy. use the UV. and.. make it Tron colored goodness! paint style!

make your symbol of appreciation in a sequence. you should be able to get a voltage controller online, to change current from one device to another. You could get a floor rez in, 2 walls, then layers of UV active material. hehe look for controllers for the led/uv lighting and tinker with it. you could make a FIOS UV agorythmic Tron PC eventually. UV low voltage real glow tape: and UV additive to a epoxy paint.http://www.smoothonsecure.com/store/index.php?cPath=278_280_284_770

tron_fanfare
User

on Thursday, August, 28, 2008 9:12 AM
Great suggestions guys. I had an idea for the front panels on the case. I was gonna paint them gloss blue then make a stencil/decal in the shape of the top view of the tron 1 domain, then fill in the other ares in a top coat of black so it comes out just like it is here. (if your not sure what I mean look at the background image on the left of this page) I would replace the yellow part in the middle with a 1.0 disc with the glow lines painted in glow in the dark paint so when the lights are off it glows. Any thoughts?

"How are ya gonna run the universe if you can't even answer a few unsolvable problems?" - Flynn in the real world

Jademz
User

on Thursday, August, 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Oh I forgot to give you the link to the glow tape.. http://electroluminescence-inc.com/howtouseEL.htm

Jademz
User

on Thursday, August, 28, 2008 5:58 PM
As for a suggestion to make that box look like Tron, I suggest getting a acrylic case.. and what I would do, is take it completely apart, remake the top front and side with crystal clear epoxy, make a mess, if you paint the UV additive mixed w/epoxy onto a piece of glass and adhere a piece of wax paper to it, or something similar, then set those onto the pieces that are curing, it will glow when a red or black uv light hits it. Then you could get some glow tape and in some areas paint it black, but just leave the exposed glow lines where you want more circuits. you could laminate those layers on the inside of the case, and make the UV spectrum glow outside. It's not cheap, but it is easy enough to duplicate any electronic imagery and embed it. you can add glowing feet on it, heat sensitive luminated plastics in various locations. it could look crazy.
(wear gloves for the epoxy parts lol). That's of course a dream case... but it's very doable. and not too expensive.

edit: or instead of adding the UV additives in clear epoxy over top of a panel in the making, mold the panel onto the additive expoxy, to ensure a really flat glossy surface, then over pour and add another flat piece w/ wax paper on it to the top. you have to think creatively to take the custom route..

tron_fanfare
User

on Thursday, August, 28, 2008 6:11 PM
K Ive decided on the paint scheme for the from panels (the grey areas in the picture above). I will have the domain maze in those (top down view) will take forever and ill have to do that work with a brush and a lot of masking tape. Was wondering if either of you could recommend a stencil paper I could print out that was adhesive but not so sticky that I cant remove the stencil without taking paint with it...the only way I know to do this is mask off the area with masking tape...use carbon paper to transfer the pattern then cut it out with an exact-o knife...lots of tedious work...

Compucore
User

on Thursday, August, 28, 2008 6:44 PM
What about adding some mini lcd displays for temp core of the cpu and inside the case. near the top. And adding the word encom 511 to make it look almost like the super computer exterier case. The case looks nice for a single to quad core chip system. Myself I would always try and have a redundant power supply as a back up for some reason. Call me an old fuddy duddy over here.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

tron_fanfare
User

on Friday, August, 29, 2008 9:27 AM
I can understand that compucore. I decided to get a high end powersupply with a good warranty. I got a Coolermaster 750w SLI/Crossfire 80% efficient PS for $90. Couldn't say no to that. I am building a Quad-Core system using a intel q6600 processor overclocked to 3ghz with 4gb ram and windows vista x64 home premium. As to the LCD's sounds good but I will probably wait on those since money for this project is tight. For now Im concentrating on glow effects, paint, and lighting.

tron_fanfare
User

on Friday, September, 05, 2008 2:19 PM
Update.

I have done the paint job. I decided to concentrate my efforts on this project to be on the lighting and glow effects to make this tron theme come together...I painted all the metal, inside and out, gloss black with a heavy clear coat. That should get the lighting effects inside to pop. Also I made a change to the window and fan setup. Added a 120mm fan in front, put one in back for exhaust, then moved the plexi from the outside of the case to the inside and aligned the side fan to blow on the video card area. If this works right the airflow in the case should be great with the dual 120's keeping the cpu cool and the 80mm over the vid card keeping that cool and exhausting through the PS's 120mm fan. Ill post pics as soon as I can get my camera working.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY