Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 I sure hope there's a new Journey song...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
ShadowDragon1
User

Re: I sure hope there's a new Journey song...

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2008 9:11 PM
"Professional Critics" weither it be of movies, tv, or videogames, or PC games are usually very narrow-minded biased jerks that don't like anything beyond their little box of perspectives, aesthetic and ephemeral likes. I take what they say/write with a tiny grain of salt...

Industrial is a mixed bag, some of it is good, alot of it is bad IMO.
In general Industrial is a bit too repeative and the beats too harsh, clashing, thumping, I really don't see that fitting TR2N.
Post apocholyptic Steam-Punk or "real-world" dirty-gritty cyber punk type stuff yes, but TR2N?
I just don't see it "fitting".

Ambient Progressive Electronica ( not out right Techno) something like the music by "Dweller at the Threshold", 'Cosmosis", or by "Radio Massacre International"would fit nicely as BGM.
I DO think Wendy Carlos could pull it off again.

As for End Credits, IMO an appropriate song from any of these: TOOL, NIN, Radio Head, Depeche Mode, or maybe Moby.

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

Traahn
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2008 10:04 PM
ShadowDragon1 wrote: "It'd be like having an ABBA song at the end of "300" or a Beegee's song at the end of "Dark Knight, it would *not* fit (it'd be laughed at and hated IMO.)"
Those comparisons aren't remotely relevant to what is being discussed. If 300 was a sequel to some movie called "200" and 200 had established a look, sound & feel that was well recognized as "being" 200, then 300 should probably follow that foundation somewhat. If ABBA was played in 200, then it might be okay to play ABBA in 300. A more appropriate analogy, but one that doesn't help your case, would be, "What if Star Wars IV played classical symphonic scores throughout and never played any contemporary music, but then Star Wars V played tracks from John Denver and Journey?" Playing ABBA for 300 doesn't make any logical sense. Playing John Denver/Journey in SW:V doesn't make any sense. However, since TR1N played Wendy Carlos and Journey, it'd make perfect sense to hear some of that in TR2N. Just because a 3 minute TR2N clip is dark, it doesn't mean every minute of the movie will be. And keep in mind, Journey was played in the real world in TR1N, not the computer world. There could very well be a Flynn's arcade scene in TR2N... Journey could very easily play in the background, no?

As a fan of the old Miami Vice TV series, it's synth music (Jan Hammer, etc.) and of the Phil Collins song "In the Air Tonight," it really bugged me that the Miami Vice movie that came out a few years ago didn't really give me an old 80s vibe; and the ultimate 'ugh' was hearing "In the Air Tonight" ruined (imo) by some rockerized version of it. There wasn't really any need to re-do that song, imo. I still really liked the movie... but I wish the soundtrack gave more homage to the TV series. It's all opinions though, and everyone has one.

Catering to "Broad audience appeal" almost always tarnishes a creative, magical endeavor, by what I've seen. Games, movies, etc. Obviously, studios would want that, but the fact that TRON didn't have broad audience appeal back in 1982 may be partially why we like it. We all loved its many elements of uniqueness for whatever reason, while the general audience didn't understand it or didn't care to understand it. To bring mass appeal may mean dumbing the movie down or adding cheesy cliche things that makes the movie cater to today's crowd. It is possible to bring mass appeal to TR2N and yet still keep us all greatly satisfied, but I do cringe and worry any time I hear "It's about broad audience appeal." When something already has broad audience appeal it's easy not to screw it up by catering to 'broad audience appeal' in the next go-round. But when talking about something very unique, with a small group of appreciaters, that unique thing can be ruined by appealing to the broad audience. It happened with one of my favorite video games. I've seen it happen to movies, etc.

The broad, general audience doesn't like Wendy Carlos' music, I'm sure. It's too unique and odd for most. I enjoy it. It was in TR1N, so I'd be happy to hear some in TR2N. I'm open to new flavors (I enjoyed Tron 2.0 soundtrack and the TR2N ambient track), but I'd hate to blanketly say "No Journey/No Wendy." Wouldn't make sense to me.

So songs like "Jump", "1984", Journey songs, etc while cool songs and "popular" among *some* people,
IMO just would seem "out of place" thematically, and would probable not fit the "vibe" of TR2N in my view.
I hope the whole dark vibe of TR2N is what we saw in the 3-minute clip, but I think you are narrowing your scope of the movie too much. There will probably be a real world in TR2N. I should hope so anyways. Journey only played in TRON in Flynn's arcade and the closing credits, that I can remember. It wasn't like Journey was playing during the light cycle sequence. I understand what you mean, but i think you might have some unnecessary fears about all this. Would it really be that bad to have muted Journey music playing in the background of an arcade while Flynn and Alan talked in TR2N?

End of line.

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

TRON.dll
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2008 10:28 PM
Once again, please look here:

http://community.guitarhero.com/forums/18/forum_topics/113042
Last time I checked:

Journey
Journey
Boston

Bands that the Guitar Hero Community thinks would fit in TR2N's ending credits.

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

Qix77
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2008 2:17 AM
Ok.... then lets make it final...

Qix77 says that classic rock kicks more butt than teeny music.... End of story... lol... (I have so much power)... lol....

Ok... kidding around... but that's how I see it.. :P

Hikaru.EXE
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2008 3:54 AM

Overmind
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2008 11:49 AM
Hikaru.EXE Wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjJ-Qe73boQ

Journey at the centeheheheheheeer of the earth

a gifted pun
abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

---------------------------------------------
That would be all!

Cam_the_Man
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2008 12:12 PM
Hikaru.EXE Wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjJ-Qe73boQ

Hahahaha
That video is pure win

In the midst of Team Fortress 2:
TRON.dll: (Captures the intelligence) "I have take the intelligence and it will cause meltdown!"
Cam_the_Man: "No! Not all of Dallas!"

FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 I sure hope there's a new Journey song...