General Discussion 
 Tron: U don't look 21

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
Qix77
User

on Monday, July, 28, 2003 6:52 AM
It's so hard to believe that it was 21 years ago I saw the movie and played the game at the arcade. I was a kid growing up in the 80's with a small tape collection of Van Halen and Ratt. Pac-Man was this new weird (but awsome) game that I called my fav. and I heard about this nifty idea in a magizine called "Dragon's Lair" which came out the following year.

I'm still a youngman at 26. At the time I was only five with a big brother who I looked up to and explained this really cool moive, he saw over the weekend, called TRON.

A week later, I saw this film and I was in awe. I was also upset because I couldn't understand why there weren't more movies like this. To me, it was the art.

All my life (even today) Dragon's Lair, Pac-Man games Qix and Gyruss, First Kisses, Van-Halen/David Lee Roth, and TRON have played a very important role in my life.

But still.... I can't believe that it was 21 years ago... That just seems too impossible to me.

Today, I'm waiting for my pre-order of TRON 2.0 to arrive. I'm now a computer tech, guitarist, classic arcade collector, and I own every Van-Halen/David Lee Roth mp3/CD that there is. But it just doesn't seem that long ago when this was new to me.

What is your memories of TRON and the 80's?

zefalcon
User

Re: Tron: U don't look 21

on Monday, July, 28, 2003 8:58 AM
With me it was Arcades all the way, could not stop playing it, think i was only 9 when it came out,saw the film with my older bro as well,now im 30, getting an old fart, but still miss those days,what makes me happy is my birthday is in the same month as tron, july 18th 1973

Ive still got my Tomy Tron Game now thats old, and i still play with it sometimes when im bored :P
its a Red Hand-held game u put to your eyes,[for all the really yound peoples out there ]
Zefalcon

Fatal Exception's What a Biatch..
My God it's Full of Stars!!
SERVER PLAYING ON:Zefalcon[T-Sec]DSL ONLY
ZEFALCON!!!

Qix77
User

on Monday, July, 28, 2003 9:33 AM
zefalcon Wrote:With me it was Arcades all the way, could not stop playing it, think i was only 9 when it came out

I guess we all were kids... I remember playing Galaga for the first time... My first words was, "This kicks Invaders's ass".

Some cool history: Space Invaders is responceable for the first national coin shortage in Japan. The next was Pac-Man (in Japan, it was Puck-Man)...

Man.. we really came a long ways.....

Smeghead
User

on Monday, July, 28, 2003 10:06 AM
My memories are from a crappy time I spent in an English holiday camp for 2 weeks with my family as a child.
the ONLY saving thing about it, and all I thought about was the TRON machine they had there. Actually that and the FireFox machine they had were the two things that got me through it. If I wasnt eating or sleeping I was pumping money into them.
The arcade game was as far advanced, techincally and visually as the movie was compared to other sci-fi movies at the time.
I never understood why they didnt make more TRON toys.
The figures were pretty crap, but I would have loved a disc that lit up, or a 'rebound' style game based on the discs game. As it was all I could do was play lightcycles with my friends on our bikes. That got a bit painful though as the only was to really prove they ran into your jetwall was to knock them off their bike.
HAHA still got some of those scars!

- End of line -

Auric
Sector Creator

on Monday, July, 28, 2003 10:32 AM
But boy do I look 32... *laugh*

My memory is thus:

May 1982:
I was vacationing with the family at Walt Disney World in Florida. We stayed at the Fairway Villas (now the Disney Institute) and spent two entire weeks there. Even before 'cable' became popular, Disney always had a broadcast channel at all their resorts playing a video loop with park information, resort details and then...

Movie Previews

I was watching the channel on the third day, seeing what was new, and then the previews came on...

"Kevin Flynn... Computer Genious."

I was already a computer geek and hardcore arcade fanatic, so did I like what I saw? DING. Hooked. Fished in, you name it. I watched the channel OVER and OVER just to watch that one preview (It was about a thirty minute loop). I even taped the audio from it on a cassette player I had with me. A tape I still have to this day.

The arcade game ate many of my quarters while on that trip as well. Every arcade at Disney World had Tron displays with multiple copies of the original aracde machine. Multiple!? Back then, any arcade having two copies of ANY game was like... WHOA.

I made my parents very mad as all I wanted to do that whole trip was watch the preview channel or sit in the arcade. *laugh*

The novel was already out in the Disney Bookstore at Lake Buena Vista Village Marketplace (now Downtown Disney). I bought it and read it on the trip home. Being there for the first showing of the movie on July 9th was a foregone conclusion at that point.

An interesting tid-bit: At that bookstore, they had versions of the paperback novel with Tron in RED rather than blue. I have never seen that version since. Oh well...

Dave "Auric" Hernly
Sector Administrator

Scuzzy
User

on Monday, July, 28, 2003 10:46 AM
I was 11 years old and went to see a movie with my big sister. The lights went down and the preview for this movie about being sucked into a computer came on.

"What the heck is that???" I asked myself. The images came flying fast and furious and my young mind could not keep up!

There was one problem: it scared me. It actually bothered me, the idea that someone could be sucked into a computer. But along with that aprehention was excitement. I remember watching the week-long series on the making of Tron on the Today show and eyeing my Atari 2600 warily, wondering who was in there.

I saw the movie when it opened with my parents and another older sister (I have three, BTW, the youngest of which is 10 years older than me). No body liked it but me, and I was hooked! All fear drained away as I watched lightcycles speed past digital tanks and flying recognizers.

I remember not being able to play the game when it first came out because some great big git had plugged about $10.00 worth of quarters in the machine and hogged it all to himself. We smaller kids hovered around him to watch, and some had put their quarters on the ledge of the game but he was there forever (the arcade employees should have done somthing but I think they were afraid that the kid would eat them or something).

Anyway, 21 years later here we are. I just know that will be the renaissance we need to get a new movie and to get people to appreciate the grand-pappy of Toy Story, A Bug's Live and Finding Nemo, as well as any other CGI movie, as the classic that it truely is.

(P.S.: Hey Auric, 32 sucks, huh? At least you don't look like your 45 like *I* do! )

Come on, you scuzzy data, be in there.

curtishart
User

on Monday, July, 28, 2003 11:14 AM
I was 12. I don't remember the actual experience of seeing the movie, but I *do* remember being sucked into it as well (Like we all were, I'm sure)

After the movie there was a arcade machine in the lobby and pumped that baby full -o- quarters and played the hell out of it.

Even six years later it had a profound impact on me. I was taking a computer class my Senior year in HS (Writing simple BASIC programs on an Apple IIe) and every program when it finished executing I added the line .

I also remember renting to movie many MANY times growing up.

order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

Scuzzy
User

on Tuesday, July, 29, 2003 11:02 PM
Heh heh heh...I remember trying to program on my little TSR computer (not the good one, the one with the cartidge slide on the side....anyway...) and putting "End Of Line" at the end of my programs, but the computer always said "Done", so it would look like:

(Program)
END OF LINE
Done.

Silly, yes. order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Come on, you scuzzy data, be in there.

Nikster
User

on Tuesday, July, 29, 2003 11:16 PM
I was 12 when my dad took me to see Tron.

*sounding like an old geezer*

You kids don't even KNOW what it's like to see Tron up on the big screen...it was AWESOME! (Y'all were SO lucky they re-released the original Star Wars trilogy in theatres, you NEED to see movies like that on a big screen at LEAST once)

*back to normal*

Anyways...in some ways, that film changed my life (Ok, nothing MAJOR, but ya know )...it definately gave me a whole new respect for frisbees

1982 was definately a magical time for videogames...lots of games were doing new things and the possibilites were endless.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

"The flippity on the google loads the Flynn to the disc battles the guy bad. Day wins. Said nuff!" - DaveTRON

Jack Thompson is to attorneys what Fred Phelps is to organized religion - Me

Hale-XF11
User

on Tuesday, July, 29, 2003 11:45 PM
yeah. what Nikster said.

*sigh*

I miss the arcade days.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

-------------------------------------+megalith music+-------------------------------------

Qix77
User

on Tuesday, July, 29, 2003 11:50 PM
Nikster Wrote:

You kids don't even KNOW what it's like to see Tron up on the big screen...

That is so true... Once again I was five.

The thing that made Tron so special then was that most Sci-fi movies were very cheezy except StarWars (I saw Jedi at six if my memory serves me right). When Tron hit the silver screen, my jaw droped...

Once again, I was very upset because I couldn't understand why there weren't more movies like Tron.

order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

KiaPurity
User

on Wednesday, July, 30, 2003 12:11 PM
21 years ago...

Only three days old. So I didn't get to do much, being stuck with my family and all!

Seriously, though, only got to see it for the first time on the disney channel in 1992.

I don't know why, but my mom taped it and I can't remember either, but I remember being so fascinated with the movie.

I really wish I had been a bit older so I'd have been able to watch it on the big screen. My older sister did, but she doesn't really apperciate it. *sighs* I'm just the biggest geek in the family. where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

PyoChan
User

on Wednesday, July, 30, 2003 12:37 PM
I myself was about 12 or 13 when Tron came out. I remember that my folks were pretty cheap and didn't like taking us to the movies unless it was a dollar movie (and even then, they didn't take us often, because the dollar theaters were pretty crappy). My brother and I begged our folks to take us to see Tron when it came out, and somehow, we got our wish. It was such a treat and a thrill seeing it on the big screen!

I think my parents regretted taking us, though, because for a long time afterwards, we were snapping up whatever Tron stuff we could, which, given how relatively strict they were, wasn't a whole lot, and we kept talking about the movie and looking for Tron tidbits on TV, and that drove them nuts, because they didn't have the same appreciation that we had.

Regardless of what my parents thought (or think) of Tron, it will always hold a special place in my heart.

"As long as we stay off the top floor, Dillinger will never know we've been in here."

Auric
Sector Creator

The 'Big Screen'

on Wednesday, July, 30, 2003 1:04 PM
Seeing it on the 'big screen'

When I bought my new house last year, I dedicated an entire room unstairs to become a literal 'theatre'.

I set up surround sound, built a screen out of 2x4s and some duck cloth, and even framed the screen with curtains. I set up a digital projector and two rows of futons and poof I had a theatre.

What did I watch first? Tron... of course

Dave "Auric" Hernly
Sector Administrator

Compucore
User

on Wednesday, July, 30, 2003 1:22 PM
Sounds really cool there Auric. I hope that you have the Surround sound system in there as well. And the popcorn maker near by in that room to make popcorn for your movie going times when you use it. I know I would if I had the space for one over here.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Auric
Sector Creator

on Wednesday, July, 30, 2003 2:56 PM
Compucore Wrote:...And the popcorn maker near by in that room to make popcorn for your movie going times when you use it.

*grin* I own a theatre-style popcorn machine. One batch makes the same as 4 microwave popcorn bags. I have it set up in the hallway outside the room with a table as a 'concession stand'. I don't tend to do things half way *laugh*

Dave "Auric" Hernly
Sector Administrator

tron_fanfare
User

on Wednesday, July, 30, 2003 3:09 PM
Well Tron holds a special appeal to me that goes beyonf the movie itself. I was 7 years old when tron hit theaters and it was the first movie that my dad and i went to see just me and him. Dont get me wrong the movie blew me away I was talking about it for weeks after and made my mother purchase the BETA tape when it hit shelves (unheard of at the time. you rented moveis not bought them hehe) Im sure it helped thaty I was already deeply into the emerging homepc world by then. To this day I still have my ticket stub and my first c64 abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

"How are ya gonna run the universe if you can't even answer a few unsolvable problems?" - Flynn in the real world

Compucore
User

on Wednesday, July, 30, 2003 3:31 PM
ANd I hope a soda fountain as well to go along with the popcorn as well. The chocolates and all that I know you can pick it up at the local Dep for that.

Auric Wrote:
Compucore Wrote:...And the popcorn maker near by in that room to make popcorn for your movie going times when you use it.

*grin* I own a theatre-style popcorn machine. One batch makes the same as 4 microwave popcorn bags. I have it set up in the hallway outside the room with a table as a 'concession stand'. I don't tend to do things half way *laugh*
order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

curtishart
User

on Wednesday, July, 30, 2003 4:14 PM
Auric Wrote:Seeing it on the 'big screen'

When I bought my new house last year, I dedicated an entire room unstairs to become a literal 'theatre'.

I set up surround sound, built a screen out of 2x4s and some duck cloth, and even framed the screen with curtains. I set up a digital projector and two rows of futons and poof I had a theatre.

A similar story, about Christmas of 2000. We just bought our first house and I was looking to fill it with cool elevtronic gadgets

So of course "Santa" got us a DVD player, Home Theater and a DVD for each member of the family.

Wife got "You've Got Mail", Oldest Son got "X-Men", youngest son got "Blue's Clues" (Hey, he was only 6 months old, then) and "Santa" got me....

Yup. Tron. (Guess which movie we watched first when everything was hooked up?)

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

Nikster
User

on Wednesday, July, 30, 2003 4:29 PM
Auric Wrote:Seeing it on the 'big screen'

Sweet

Soooooo.......I vote we hold the 'TronCon' at Auric's house

"The flippity on the google loads the Flynn to the disc battles the guy bad. Day wins. Said nuff!" - DaveTRON

Jack Thompson is to attorneys what Fred Phelps is to organized religion - Me

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion