Other Sectors 
 Techno listeners...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
TheJediUnit
User

Techno listeners...

on Thursday, March, 27, 2003 9:19 PM
I just got my CD in the mail today from Iceland, Apparat Organ Quartet. Cool stuff. Eskotek, you especially should give it a listen. They're pretty new and scarcely recognized internationally yet and pretty hard to find stuff on the web about them so far. You can get their stuff from http://www.thulemusik.com (I think that's where I ordered it from).

They're hard to pin down in terms of style, but they're like what you'd get if you put Kraftwerk, 808 State, Tangerine Dream, Bjork's music sans her voice, and Telex into a blender and whipped it smooth. Some songs are pure techno and some are pretty peppy progressive.

Get this, on some website I turned up, it had the manager and the lead's email address on it. I wrote the manager to praise their music and asked how much is available and such, and he wrote me back, took time to really respond.

I first found about them on Frontline's PBS World somethin' or other show when they were presenting lots of awesome undiscovered talant in Iceland. They went at length with AOQ and those guys are very talanted, creative and really funny too. Their thing is to not use any new electronic equipment but instead to milk every bit of overlooked creativity with older stuff. They've even got some of their synthisizers from garage sales and junk yards, restored them, enhanced them with their own wits and saudering irons and pushed them to their limits. One of the classically trained members actually plays a local church's huge pipe organ during regular service, but when he's as nutty as Ringo Starr when doing it!

Anyway, if you like techno at all, y'outta get it. They'd be cool to turn on when watching Tron.

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

Esotek
Sector Admin

Re: Techno listeners...

on Thursday, March, 27, 2003 10:11 PM
I will check it out.

I don't know if you'd be into it or not but Raymond Scott's Manhattan Research is great retro electronic music. He not only made electronic music but he made all the equipment he used as well! Robert Moog says Raymond coined the term 'syntheseizer'. He's a very interesting character. Check out www.Raymondscott.com for more on him. Btw, I met Bob Moog at a Raymond Scott tribute in 1997. He was there with Wendy Carlos. Thier table was right next to ours and Wendy slid her chair back into mine by mistake and we began talking. I asked her alot about the Tron soundtrack. She then introduced me to Bob Moog who stood up to shake my hand and said "Hi, I'm Bob Moog". As if I didn't know. Very nice guy and Wendy was very cool as well.

TheJediUnit
User

on Thursday, March, 27, 2003 10:15 PM
Coolness.

I'll check 'er out too.

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

Esotek
Sector Admin

on Thursday, March, 27, 2003 10:25 PM
Here is Raymond's Electronium. You can hear a sample from this machine on this page also. Interestingly, the surviving Electronium is now owned by Mark Motherbaugh of Devo/Mutato fame.

http://RaymondScott.com/Electron.html

TheJediUnit
User

on Thursday, March, 27, 2003 10:36 PM
Hey, do you have that old Welcome to Technodrome CD? I only have the LP and wish I had the CD of it. That thing is so hard to find and so totally outta print. If so, was wonderin' if a *clears throat* burn could happen.

--Spock

shorty99
User

on Tuesday, April, 08, 2003 10:42 AM
If ya like rock, go to EXIT4.net

They have 5 full songs to listen to and 2 clips of new songs, they even have a forum to.

TheJediUnit
User

Hey Eskotek...

on Sunday, May, 04, 2003 8:16 PM
I not only found The Mix on CD but even the Expo 2000 Remix CD and got both naturally.

Track 6 on the Expo CD is really good.

--Spock

FusionAddict
User

on Wednesday, May, 07, 2003 5:21 PM
For widely available CDs, there's still few albums to beat the sountrack to the original MATRIX.

However, I just picked up the st to THE MATRIX RELOADED...

Come for Rob Zombie, Oakenfold, and Juno Reactor...stay for Marilyn Manson channeling Missy Elliott.

Egad.where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

The Clu abides, man...

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors 
 Techno listeners...