Other Sectors 
 Syd Mead Hotwheels car!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Sketch
Sector Admin

Syd Mead Hotwheels car!

on Saturday, March, 22, 2003 6:09 PM
Yep, Syd has a hotwheels car out in stores right now.
Got mine today. Awsome design!

It's called Syd Mead's Sentinel 400 Limo.

His site has pics of it. Enjoy.

http://www.sydmead.com/features/limo/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

TheJediUnit
User

Re: Syd Mead Hotwheels car!

on Saturday, March, 22, 2003 6:21 PM
I don't get it.

It looks neat in the way of cars and all, but what is it's significance? What's it's reason? Does he HAVE a car like that or something? Did he design it? Was it in some movie?

*Lucy, you've got some 'splainin' to do.*where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Saturday, March, 22, 2003 6:25 PM
He designed it. First time I've seen a hotwheels designed by him. I mean Syd Mead if you remember designed alot of the stuff in Tron. Light cycles, Tanks, Command Carrier, etc...

where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Compucore
User

on Saturday, March, 22, 2003 7:16 PM
That sounds right Sketch. I'm just wondering if he had it made as a kit car or a modified cars. If I remember coreectly there was a show about that on either TLC or the discovery channel. (ABout hot rods not syd mead)

abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

TheJediUnit
User

on Saturday, March, 22, 2003 9:55 PM
Hm. Yea, I know what Syd did with Tron. I just didn't see what the connection art production and direction for films has with sculpting toy cars. A bit of a leap. Just leapy enough to lift my brow.

I'm a graphic designer and computer operator so I guess with that experience it's just a matter of time that someone approches me to develop Honda transmission gear ratio formulas... you know, since the two occupations are so similar.

???

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

wwwmwww
User

on Saturday, May, 19, 2007 7:09 PM
Anyone here seen the Syd Mead documentary currently featured on the main page? I ordered the DVD and just finished watching it. The whole story of this Hotwheels Limo is talked about. It is based on this image:

That Syd created for one of the U.S. Steel brochures produced in collaboration with Hansen in Detroit back in I think the 60's (maybe late 50's). Hotwheels was replacing an old limo in their lineup and they wanted this and approaced Syd. So that is where this came from:

Now for a question. In the DVD the Hotwheels guy that is telling his story holds up what I believe is a 1:24 scale version of Syd Mead's Sentinel 400 Limo. Anyone know if a 1:24 version was ever sold? If so I'd love to track one down.

Carl

wwwmwww
User

on Saturday, May, 19, 2007 7:29 PM
Hmmm... I just answered my own question. The 1:24-scale model is a one-of-a-kind that was given to Syd on his 69th birthday.

Here is an article that tells all about it.

http://www.promotex.ca/articles/cawthon/2003/12-01-2003_article.html
And here is a picture of the 1:24 scale Limo.

Enjoy,
Carl

Jademz
User

on Saturday, May, 19, 2007 8:52 PM
That's a sweet ride, I personally, thought of a design I'd like, but, after seeing that.... here's what I thought of, I'll describe it graphically, since I dont have time to get a image made up.

Take a 05' Ford Thunderbird, not a great looking production car, IMO, however, if you gave it a body wrap, add chrome skulls to the taillights, and make the body art, with a realistic thunderbird claws gripping the tail lights, chrome legs, tail like spoiler, and of course, the wheels would be clear "plexi" with due tronFX, ie. internal fx, wheels, body, and interior. and now I would picture a stretch limo version, ohhhman. dude if I had materials, oh, and the painjob would be a lightning glowing, bird facing it off, with the wings stretched out and up, with the doors, as the wings opening. Oh ya. wooooooooo!

(dont think thunderbirds PLEASE)

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Sunday, May, 20, 2007 3:05 PM

wwwmwww Wrote:Anyone here seen the Syd Mead documentary currently featured on the main page?
I'm ashamed to admit I don't have it yet. Even though I've known it was coming for two years, and reported it on the front page as soon as the Director informed me of its release on DVD.

But I shall have it! I'm going to order it today.

order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Traahn
User

on Monday, May, 21, 2007 12:57 AM
TheJediUnit Wrote:Hm. Yea, I know what Syd did with Tron. I just didn't see what the connection art production and direction for films has with sculpting toy cars. A bit of a leap. Just leapy enough to lift my brow.

I'm a graphic designer and computer operator so I guess with that experience it's just a matter of time that someone approches me to develop Honda transmission gear ratio formulas... you know, since the two occupations are so similar.

???
Not sure where you're seeing the issue/leap. It takes a designer to design something. Syd designs stuff, including futuristic worlds and cars. So why can't he design a toy car? If I were an artist, isn't it logical that the business world look to me to design stuff for them?

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Monday, May, 28, 2007 4:52 PM
Traahn Wrote:
TheJediUnit Wrote:Hm. Yea, I know what Syd did with Tron. I just didn't see what the connection art production and direction for films has with sculpting toy cars. A bit of a leap. Just leapy enough to lift my brow.

???
Not sure where you're seeing the issue/leap. It takes a designer to design something. Syd designs stuff, including futuristic worlds and cars. So why can't he design a toy car? If I were an artist, isn't it logical that the business world look to me to design stuff for them?

Agreed. Everything ever constructed has to start somewhere... on paper as a concept in order to convey it to the group that then has to figure out how to build it.

I got the Syd documentary. Man, I freakin' love it! I actually got my drawing groove back thanks to it. I needed this inspiration after a serious semester burn from college. I love the advice he gives and getting to watch him work at his work table. A truely awsome documentary to watch and own. where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Traahn
User

on Saturday, June, 16, 2007 3:12 AM
I need to get that documentary some day for inspiration, too.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors 
 Syd Mead Hotwheels car!