Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade 
 Arcade Game Owners that need Side Art...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
TheJediUnit
User

on Wednesday, January, 08, 2003 4:54 PM
Hi,

I have a fantastic plan that may interest you. Please take a moment to read.

Let me begin by saying (well, to those that have already heard then 'repeating') that I am fully planning to obtain me a Tron Arcade game of my own. While in the search for a proper one, and while working to sell what I need to so I can afford one, I've been attempting to learn as much as I can about restoring, repairing and maintaining one. I think I've learned a lot about what I have in store, but the most obvious problem associated with them is getting attractive side art. I know a lot of owners settle for what they have and many buy reproductions from a couple spots on the web that seem unsatisfactory when received.

Well, this aspect of owning the project has not at any point intimidated me because I deduced that I would simply make my own. That may sound far-fetched to some of you, but understand that I'm a graphic designer by trade and I've worked in a high-end printing/graphics facility for almost 10 years and know precisely what to do to make ones that will be fantastic.

I not only have the hardware, but the best of the best. Where I work we have a 44" Epson Color Matching system and a Jazz scanner, and all the necessary software. That takes care of the tools. The Epson can be fitted with decal media.

All I'm going to need is to get my game then probably (gag) purchase just one sample of those guys stickers they made ( just so I can scan that since I can't really plonk my game on the scanner). Once I have the scans I will (here is the important bit) RECREATE the image. Those other guys brag on and on about how great theirs looks, but I know they're nothing but a scanned image that might have been touched up. *insert raspberry sound* Nuts to that. I'm sure it looks putrid. The entire label itself is a two part project, the photo in the middle and the graphics surrounding it. My god, those graphics can be totally recreated to scale in vector art using Adobe Illustrator to 100% perfection, even getting the Pantone color dead on, sharp as a tack. The photo would take longer, but I've restored COUNTLESS photos and have that science down to an art and the art down to a science. I've done some $10,000 jobs before, some real difficult stuff... this Tron label I could do in a coma and 100% accurate.

Now, those guys' jobs are nothing more than "color copies" or "color duplicates" like Xeroxing a photograph. GAG! But, MINE is going to be a "perfect recreation" that will be as clean and dead-on as the ones Bally used on the first machine.

Now, what I'm interested to know from you all is, will you be a market for this? Will you buy them from me?

What is a foregone guarantee is satisfaction. Not only that, but I'm going to set up a presence on Ebay for these things and stomp the other guys' price in the stomach. Not only THAT, but I'm going to offer something they NEVER will; free samples. I'll make cards that can be sent to anyone interested that will have something like a 5% scale image and a 3" x 3" section at 100% to show detail and shows the quality of the label, free to examine before you buy. How's THAT sound?

It gets better. I'm going to make spinner art, and probably that backdrop image behind the bezel if there's a demand for that too.

Okay, now sound off. Should I market this too or what? I know I'm making mine for my own, but will you guys buy them too?where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

Karman
User

Sounds good

on Thursday, January, 09, 2003 4:09 PM
If you do the spinner decal, don't forget about the Tron logo on the joystick as well. I don't own a Tron myself but I was thinking about building a Tron cocktail.

Have you played Tron with MAME? That might tie you over until you get your cabinet.

TheJediUnit
User

No Title

on Friday, January, 10, 2003 10:19 AM
Yea, I already thought about the rest of the art on the machine. I wish I didn't have to wait until I owned one, but I'll need it for this project. I'll probably purchase the 'other guys' label so I can have it for easier scanning, but I'll only use those scans as a guide for placement and size, if they're correct. But, knowing it'll look cruddy, I'll still need 'THE' art on the side of the cabinet for the main photograph in the middle that I'll use to create a sharper and more vibrant one for the completed image.

I'm 100% certain I'll be putting these on mine, I just don't know about if I should invest time and money in a marketing venture, and that's what I'm fishing for responses about. I'd probably sell them on eBay, I suppose. I don't know yet.

I haven't played Tron using MAME. To be honest, the game itself isn't the attraction to me. It's the whole thing, the piece of personal history and nostalgia, and a childhood vow to get one when I could no matter how long it'd take. Well, here's the dream becoming a reality.

Totally awesome.where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

curtishart
User

Be careful

on Tuesday, January, 14, 2003 6:43 PM
Tron sideart is a MUCH debated topic in the arcade collector forums. Many angles have been approached to do this and for one reason or another, it has fallen through.

Recently, a collector made *some* headway on this and was actually in contact with the Disney legal department for permission to reproduce these (Since Disney owns the work) and after about two weeks deliberations, Disney finally said "No" and that was that.

Disney has been notorious for going after the 'little guy' when copyright infringment is invovled, there's even a story about a daycare painting Disney characters and they got a cease and desist letter from Disney's Legal saying to paint over them immediately.

I only bring this up because, as the old saying goes, "Loose lips, sink ships" all it takes is Disney to get wind of this and shut you down, and even smack you with a lawsuit. News of reproducing Tron sideart WILL spread like wildfire *because* it is such a sought-after item.

A similar case happened with someone making unlicensed Dragon's Lair sideart. Don Bluth's legal team found out and filed a lawsuit against that person.

I'm not telling what to, or not to do. I'm just saying if you DO go through with this to be EXTREMELY careful.

-Curtis

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

TheJediUnit
User

No Title

on Thursday, January, 16, 2003 6:01 PM
Yea, you're right.

I had thought about that aspect, but was putting on blinders in hopes that they'd not care of someone wants to improve something they quit making back then and don't care about doing for us. I was thinking so long as I'm not moving in on a market they plan on ever using again then they'd not care, but I know you're right. It was just thinking I could keep it just low profile enough to not step on Disney's foot but just high profile enough to contribute to the collector's pieces.

I don't think Ford would care if anyone made Model T fenders to specs and sold them on Ebay. I was just seeing things in that light.

Oh well, one thing's for sure, I'll make my own for my own when I get it and if Disney doesn't like that they can suck on an egg.

All in all, I know you're right and knew it all along but was clouded by wishful thinkin'.

--Spock

DaveTRON
User

Side Art

on Thursday, January, 16, 2003 8:02 PM
Hey guys. I am a proud owner of a TRON upright, and I believe the case you mentioned above about someone recently being in touch with Disney was the one I assisted on. I got in touch with someone who wanted to produce legal side art, and I connected them up with Disney Legal. As stated above, the final answer was no, but we never did get a definitive reason why. I am actually wanting to take another swing at it in the near future. We shall see if it comes to pass. Keep the faith.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

DaveTRON

curtishart
User

Keeping the faith

on Friday, January, 17, 2003 1:59 PM
Thankfully, my upright's sideart is about 98% intact ( http://users2.ev1.net/~curtishart/badger/gameroom/tron.html ) so I'm content until that bright, shiney day when it gets cleared and the repro's flow like water

-Curtiswhere to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

Compucore
User

Would be interesting

on Saturday, January, 25, 2003 7:32 PM
It would be interesting to see that on even a notebook or on a clone computer to stylize it to Tron. What do you think..

Its just an Idea as well. When you think of it on the casing of the towers or on the back panel of the notebook where you usually have the tft panel...

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

TheJediUnit
User

No Title

on Saturday, January, 25, 2003 10:16 PM
Shoot, why stop there?

I'd love to have a super customized Tron paint job on my truck! Fully equiped with backlit circuitry and a Jet Wall emitter!

--Spock

Compucore
User

I say what the hey.

on Sunday, January, 26, 2003 3:42 PM
Might as well soup it up like one of those chow trucks that you see at the hot rod shows or super monster truck rallies that are out there. And have an outfit to boot for it with helmet and freesbie to match the outfit.

That I haven't see yet at the hot rod shows at all. A truck or car that looks like from the movie Tron Or a motorcycle that even resembles light cycles from the movie.

on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

TheJediUnit
User

No Title

on Tuesday, January, 28, 2003 10:01 PM
...I'd just love to have Dillinger's helicopter and go around violating airspace restrictions and harrassing news helicopters.where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

--Spock

Compucore
User

Yeah but.

on Thursday, February, 06, 2003 5:30 PM
Yeah its nice to see that kind of lighting effect on a copter like that. But I like the carrier or the light cycles more than the copter. But thats just my opinion on it though.

where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade