Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 From the other side of the screen it all looked so easy!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
MCPcomputer
User

on Sunday, May, 22, 2016 4:44 AM

I remember when Tron Legacy came out and this site was more active. Even the older days when I first joined the site I think in early 2000s under another user name. Man his place had a lot of programs and users!

Then Tron Legacy in 2010 changed everything...
But I'm a bit sad Tron 3 might not come out.
That really messed with my Zen thing man!

Tron will always have a special place in my heart. I'll never forget watching Tron in the 80s,
and playing 80s arcades .. playing space cowboy in some back room!

What are you best Tron Memories?

"I want him in the games until he dies playing" -MCP
The Grid a Physical Frontier funny Tron Videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMViP_QtZ8

Traahn
User

RE: From the other side of the screen it all looked so easy!

on Monday, May, 23, 2016 6:42 PM
Nice post.  You're right... 

I think Tron Legacy, sadly, served to divide rather than unite, in many cases.  And with time, people sort of lost interest in talking about Tron here... maybe because of the ever-present division.  And maybe the new film didn't leave as lasting of an impression on us like the original one did?

Maybe Tron is discussed more frequently on other sites or other places?

My best memories are watching it a handful of times originally, and the nostalgia spawned from those times.  Nostalgic waves sometimes come over me when I think of or see certain parts of the movie.

Perhaps Tron Legacy will do the same for kids who see it now.  That's good, and bad.  The sad part of that is, for me, when they grow up, they will probably want to make a Tron movie modeled after or heavily inspired by Tron Legacy, which likely will even further distance the franchise from canon and the original foundation set by the 1982 version.

I like the new movie, don't get me wrong. Saw it several times in the theater.  But it's just not hitting on enough cylinders for me. I'm hoping the next iteration(s) will

As for real life Tron stuff... seeing the "End of Line Club" in person at San Diego Comic Con ranks quite high as one of my most memorable moments.

How about you, MCPcomputer?  I'm thinking your favorite memory was when you beamed Flynn into the computer.

On the other side of the screen, it all looked so easy...

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

typicaltronname
User

on Tuesday, May, 31, 2016 2:08 AM
My memories aren't as old as many of you here, but I first watched Tron in 2009. 

I was amazed by it and much they were able to accomplish for their time. 

It was nice collecting Tron stuff for a time, too. I even remember winning a giveaway of sorts on Facebook from a user here DaveTron.

He sent me a bunch of Tron memorabilia. 

Also discussing here at length the implications of the Tron universe. 

"Reveal your creation date or I will disassemble your code one operation at a time!"

Kat
User

on Monday, June, 06, 2016 11:04 PM
We did have a lot of Legacy discussion here.  Problem is, we discussed it to death... hitting a lot of the same topics in several different threads.  Division was a issue, yes, but I think you might get that with any story.  Mostly just that I think we simply talked about everything there was to talk about, until that horse was thoroughly beaten to a pulp.

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

laphtiya
User

on Thursday, June, 09, 2016 7:05 AM
Kat Wrote:We did have a lot of Legacy discussion here.  Problem is, we discussed it to death... hitting a lot of the same topics in several different threads.  Division was a issue, yes, but I think you might get that with any story.  Mostly just that I think we simply talked about everything there was to talk about, until that horse was thoroughly beaten to a pulp.
I think Kat said it all, we just discussed it to death.  I still come here daily, rarely post these days.......but then again I hardly ever posted.  I think it is hard to discuss Tron legacy and uprising without getting annoyed over the fact they've been canned/abandoned by Disney.

MCPcomputer
User

on Tuesday, June, 21, 2016 6:36 PM

Yeah them canning Uprising and Tron 3 was a total bummer man. Yet the Disneyland in China has a Tron Light Cycle Ride? What is going on here man?

The Grid a Physical Frontier funny Tron Videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMViP_QtZ8

Traahn
User

on Wednesday, June, 22, 2016 12:25 AM
Man, on the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy!

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

EXODUS
User

on Wednesday, June, 22, 2016 8:30 AM
MCPcomputer Wrote:
Yeah them canning Uprising and Tron 3 was a total bummer man. Yet the Disneyland in China has a Tron Light Cycle Ride? What is going on here man?
I think it shows that China has more sense then Disney and Hollywood does.

MCPcomputer
User

on Sunday, July, 03, 2016 3:44 AM

China is ahead of us in many ways. I want to ride the light cycles now!

EXODUS
User

on Tuesday, July, 05, 2016 10:19 AM
laphtiya Wrote:

Kat Wrote:We did have a lot of Legacy discussion here.  Problem is, we discussed it to death... hitting a lot of the same topics in several different threads.  Division was a issue, yes, but I think you might get that with any story.  Mostly just that I think we simply talked about everything there was to talk about, until that horse was thoroughly beaten to a pulp.
I think Kat said it all, we just discussed it to death.  I still come here daily, rarely post these days.......but then again I hardly ever posted.  I think it is hard to discuss Tron legacy and uprising without getting annoyed over the fact they've been canned/abandoned by Disney.
I know that Tron 3 disappearing into the depths of production oblivion is very disheartening for us fans, but when I think about it my biggest concern is what could they (the scriptwriters) have done to take the franchise into a new direction? :-/
When you look at the setting of both films, a User enters the digital world through a laser beam, discovers anamorphic humanoid Programs, fights the Big Bad Guy, and returns to the Real World through the Laser a changed man.
If the only way for 'us' (both the human User in the story and we the audience) is through the Laser has I suspect, then the fact that that basic premise TWICE already concerns me.

They've already done TWICE so far, does anyone think that they could do more-or-less the same kind of thing for a THIRD time without the risk of the whole narrative set-up becoming repetitive?  :-/

IF they did, I think that they would have to try something REALLY different with the story rather then the User-beamed-into-computer scenario, if not to please the critics (who, has we all know, have been very judgmental towards the franchise with their reviews).

The aesthetics and visual style of that world should most defiantly be kept, has should the nature of it's existence. That's what makes it so UNIQUE in the Sci-fi franchise!

But the manner in which the characters/the audience 'accesses' that world might want to be thought through carefully.

But it's all academic really, isn't it? Because we all know that Disney have no intention of doing anything BIG with the franchise from now on.

To be honest, given the choice, I would actually rather they did one more season of Uprising on Disney X D. I think getting the cast back together for just ONE MORE season would have been enough just to tie-up any loose ends about what happened after Season 2 and the start of Legacy.

Uprising ended on a HUGE cliff-hanger, and if I had to chose I'd rather Disney brought in closure on that series first before doing anything else with the Franchise.
But like I said, like Tron 3 it's just not going to happen. 6 years after Legacy first came out Disney have looked at the cinema revenues and merchandise sales and the corporate yuppie-accountants that now seem to run the company have been tapping away on their calculators and have come to the conclusion that the whole thing just isn't profitable enough to keep it going!

"Oh no!" They said to themselves, "This won't do! We're not making nearly enough money from Tron. I tell you what-lets forget it now, shall we? We've done everything we could with it, but it's not quite has popular with the mainstream sci-fi fans has we had hoped. From now on why don't we forget about Tron for the time being and just focus everything on Star Wars and Superheroes. After all, EVERYBODY loves Star Wars and Superheroes, don't they? Everybody agreed?".

To me this is pretty much how I feel about Disney now days. When Walt Disney first started his animation company I think he just wanted to provide clean, family entertainment for the whole family to enjoy.
Now, I get the feeling that if he was alive today I personally think he would be absolutely APPALED that what's happened to the company, especially in the last 20 years or so.

Why? Because Disney, like nearly every other film studio in Hollywood these days, has over the years become consumed with a corporate mentality.

Instead of being filled with artists and screenwriters using their imaginations to come up with all many of inventiveness and artistic creativity it's now being run by a bunch of grey-suited corporate yuppie's sitting around a big conference table talking about net-profit and gross incomes and synergy, etc   

Why? Because MONEY SELLS!

No wonder some employees refer to it has Mouseschwitz... :P

And to top it all off in 2003 Roy Disney, Walt's nephew and the LAST FAMILY MEMBER of the Disney family to still be working there, actually RESIGNED from the company after a heated argument about the retirement age for employees of the company.

To me the fact that the last Disney family member has quite the company originally set-up by his uncle speaks volumes about how Disney has become just to business-like and bureaucratic for my liking. 

Monsters Inc?

Disney Inc more like! :P

laphtiya
User

on Wednesday, July, 06, 2016 7:22 AM
EXODUS Wrote:
laphtiya Wrote:

"Oh no!" They said to themselves, "This won't do! We're not making nearly enough money from Tron. I tell you what-lets forget it now, shall we? We've done everything we could with it, but it's not quite has popular with the mainstream sci-fi fans has we had hoped. From now on why don't we forget about Tron for the time being and just focus everything on Star Wars and Superheroes. After all, EVERYBODY loves Star Wars and Superheroes, don't they? Everybody agreed?".

To me this is pretty much how I feel about Disney now days. When Walt Disney first started his animation company I think he just wanted to provide clean, family entertainment for the whole family to enjoy.
Now, I get the feeling that if he was alive today I personally think he would be absolutely APPALED that what's happened to the company, especially in the last 20 years or so.

Why? Because Disney, like nearly every other film studio in Hollywood these days, has over the years become consumed with a corporate mentality.

Instead of being filled with artists and screenwriters using their imaginations to come up with all many of inventiveness and artistic creativity it's now being run by a bunch of grey-suited corporate yuppie's sitting around a big conference table talking about net-profit and gross incomes and synergy, etc   

Why? Because MONEY SELLS!
It is the sad truth of our times.  It isn't so much that TL & TU was bad, it was because they weren't pulling in the big bucks they wanted.  Yes movie making is a business sure, there is no question of that.  But as you say, the focus has become too heavily orientated on quick profits over artistic creativity.  Movies that take a risk and break from the norm (being reboots and super heroes atm) just don't get touched by Hollywood these days.
I agree with your point about Tron 3, it would take something special to feel like we aren't having the same old over and over again.  But what completely baffles me is the total lack of any release of Tron Uprising on DVD or Bluray.  Surely there would be good easy profit to be made here by releasing it, so why haven't they?  What is going on?  My thought, it wouldn't bring ENOUGH profit in for them.

MCPcomputer
User

on Saturday, July, 09, 2016 8:00 PM

I agree ! Why no Tron Uprising on DVD ?
I should have recorded it off netflix when I had the chance.
At least I watched it all before they took it down. It was awesome!

Kat
User

on Saturday, July, 30, 2016 6:03 AM
EXODUS Wrote:I know that Tron 3 disappearing into the depths of production oblivion is very disheartening for us fans, but when I think about it my biggest concern is what could they (the scriptwriters) have done to take the franchise into a new direction? :-/
When you look at the setting of both films, a User enters the digital world through a laser beam, discovers anamorphic humanoid Programs, fights the Big Bad Guy, and returns to the Real World through the Laser a changed man.
If the only way for 'us' (both the human User in the story and we the audience) is through the Laser has I suspect, then the fact that that basic premise TWICE already concerns me.

They've already done TWICE so far, does anyone think that they could do more-or-less the same kind of thing for a THIRD time without the risk of the whole narrative set-up becoming repetitive?  :-/

IF they did, I think that they would have to try something REALLY different with the story rather then the User-beamed-into-computer scenario, if not to please the critics (who, has we all know, have been very judgmental towards the franchise with their reviews).

I know we've had threads here before, discussing how we think it should go for the next film.  (I'm too lazy to go looking for them, though.)  And there has been a lot of disagreement, from people who essentially want the T82 story again (complete with original characters) to people who think most of the story should take place in "the real world."

(And, of course, it's no secret that I favor a story where Sam and Dillinjr have to work together against some common enemy.)

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Nar78
User

on Thursday, August, 18, 2016 7:12 AM
I've recently rewatched Legacy on blu ray and then I hopped over to the original '82 film (also on blu ray).
This re-sparked my interest in Tron, all over again.  

I remembered I still had my pc video games, Evolution and Tron 2.0, which I haven't re-installed since I last upgraded my computer a few years back.  So I went at it and got my games running again and then remembered this nice little forum, called Tron Sector, which I used to come to, for Tron chatter.
I do remember leaving this forum behind for two reasons.  One,  I became very busy and moved out to Arizona, from California.  And two,  I remember this forum was becoming a bit unstable. People were being rude to one another and that was a bit off putting.

I still love Tron and enjoy the idea of making good natured friends in this community. 
Unfortunately, we all know that Disney only produced a very limited amount of Tron content to dissect for enjoyment and it would only be a matter of time before we find ourselves discussing the same thing, over and over again. For new members, that's not a problem, but for members with tenure, I can see why it would be a bit monotonous.

Personally, I don't mind touching base with topics I've dived into years before. Sometimes opinions change and can bring whole new ideas to the table, for discussion.
With that being said, I'm really glad this site is being kept alive, despite the current low activity. Like the movie, this place is pretty nostalgic for me. Even though I created my account in '09, I used to love lurking this board for a few years prior.  Hope to see new programs come in to say hello.

"So, nice-looking ship you got here ."

Seca
User

on Thursday, March, 30, 2017 9:56 PM
Nice thread

If the search function worked, new users might be able to look at old threads and offer new insight.

Might liven the place up again with the news last week that Disney is looking to do Tron 3 with jared leto as Aras.

BmiCalculator
User

on Monday, April, 03, 2017 4:21 AM
Thanks to the author for the article! Very pleased!
http://calculatorbmi.org

joe123
User

on Sunday, April, 16, 2017 6:05 AM
This article gives the light in which we may see the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information.  http://nopsoriasis.net/

psoriasis,
eyebrow threading

BmiCalculator
User

on Thursday, June, 01, 2017 2:49 AM
Very easy to understand the material! Thanks to the author!
http://calculatorbmi.org/macro-calculator

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion