Tron 3 Cancelled

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
tomorowlandude
User

Tron 3 Cancelled

on Friday, May, 29, 2015 11:58 PM

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/tron-3-cancelled-disney-1201508421/

“We had never greenlit the movie, but it was in development for some time,” said one Disney executive, discussing the sensitive decision to table the project. “Things in the queue got ahead of it and we have such a big slate out in front of it, we started to think, ‘Where does it go?’ And it’s a pretty big investment to make if you are not even sure when you are going to release it.”

ShadowDragon1
User

RE: Tron 3 Cancelled

on Saturday, May, 30, 2015 8:12 AM
What a load of bs.   I am very very livid and extremely disappointed with Disney.... more than I can put into words. This news has given me a stress headache

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

Alan1
User

on Saturday, May, 30, 2015 9:03 AM
Backlash, knee jerk reaction to Tomorrowland's box office.  Unfair since Tomorrowland is an original movie, and TRON is an established franchise with a strong fan base.

"This isn't happening, it only thinks it's happening"-Kevin Flynn
https://www.facebook.com/pages/LightEars/935720649794384

KidFlash
User

on Saturday, May, 30, 2015 10:56 AM
They're not necessarily wrong about the release date excuse - between SW, Marvel and their slate of live-action remakes, the schedule's pretty full-up as is with big films. 

Granted, it gives them an out, but still. Consider that Cinderella made $125m worldwide more than Legacy on half the budget. I'm legitimately surprised that they even got this far down the road with a third film anyway. 

combatant_3
User

on Saturday, May, 30, 2015 12:35 PM
They're dumping Tron like it's just any old movie. This is TRON! They have no idea what they have. If they don't appreciate Tron, then maybe they should sell the rights to a company that does.

CardioFunk
User

on Saturday, May, 30, 2015 12:36 PM
At least we have some good Tron stuff already. But we can't feel entitled when it comes to someone else's work. Sad news nevertheless.

RenegadeProgram
User

on Saturday, May, 30, 2015 2:40 PM
combatant_3 Wrote:They're dumping Tron like it's just any old movie. This is TRON! They have no idea what they have. If they don't appreciate Tron, then maybe they should sell the rights to a company that does.
I'm not surprised, given how Uprising was treated like a red-headed stepchild. I completely agree with you, combatant 3.  In retrospect, I think Lisberger should have created TRON using his own production company, instead of partnering with the house of mouse.
In the meantime, I have the existing TRON repertoire to enjoy as well as my own originally created additions to the TRON universe.

Fighting for TRON, The USERS, Both Flynns, Independents, and the mighty ISOs since '82.

retrorandy
User

on Saturday, May, 30, 2015 4:17 PM
Sad news, but the whole thing was kind of odd because they hadn't given it the "official" green light.

I don't think this is the last of the TRON Universe. The fans and some of the original actors like Cindy Morgan/Bruce Boxleitner & the director Steven Lisberger are the ones that helped to keep it alive all these years. To me TRON is and will remain a part of pop culture. Whenever you see glowing blue on an item or in a photo you can't help, but think of TRON. 

Wasn't there still that article about Giorgio Moroder making a soundtrack for a new TRON Videogame? I wonder if that's still going to come out? 

I LOVE TRON Uprising! If nothing else perhaps a 2nd season of that show could be made/released. I thought it really connected with the world of TRON in it's look & script/where it was headed. 

jimboonie
User

on Saturday, May, 30, 2015 4:56 PM
Disappointed but not surprised. Something felt really, "Off" about it the whole time. Hard to believe that 5 years ago Disney was wrapping their monorails in Tron graphics. And now....

Well, maybe Tron 2 merch will rise in value a bit. I do agree that Tron just needs be sold to the highest bidder at this point. I don't think Disney has really ever cared about it all that much. Maybe the next owner will give it a proper Wendy Carlos-themed soundtrack rather than that Daft Punk drivel (Although, DP is what drew large numbers of people to the movie).

BigE73
User

on Saturday, May, 30, 2015 6:04 PM
I will be voicing my displeasure in due time... RRRRAAAAAARRGGGHH!!!!

I can probably make make that, Just ask.

Cyberwolven
User

on Saturday, May, 30, 2015 11:55 PM
Wow, this is disappointing. I can understand having a big slate full of sequels, avengers, and remakes of popular movies, but you have give other franchises a chance once in a while.

This reminds me of how Disney won't release Strange Magic in Blu-Ray because critics bashed it. I watched it last week and was amazed how much I liked it. Tron and the like are such underrated movies.

I'm cold and calculating. Don't press my buttons.

Kat
User

on Sunday, May, 31, 2015 12:39 PM
Honestly?  Don't they keep doing this?  We keep seeing articles posted here that they're doing a sequel... then they're not... then they are and they signed such-and-such actors... then they're not... then they are and they signed such-and-such actors but not so-and-so actor and what's up with with that... and then they're not doing it...  I give it six months before they're back on.

Where is this writer (and the writers in the two other "articles" I saw on the subject) getting his info, anyway?  I see no sources cited except a couple of people he won't even name (if Disney is officially not doing the film, secrecy shouldn't be necessary.  If it's not official, then we have no story; see paragraph 1).  I'll believe it when there's better journalism on the subject.  If someone can cite an actual Disney source with a name who has knowledge of the project and authority to speak, I might put more credibility in all this.

(One thing that doesn't surprise me, however, is them wondering where they could possibly take it.  They wrote themselves a few dead ends, and the story kept getting more and more fantastical; no wonder they might feel like they're standing on the edge of a post-disaster Tacoma Narrows bridge and looking over the edge going, "oh, crap... now what?")

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Renegade88
User

on Sunday, May, 31, 2015 1:49 PM
FUCK

"Tell your boss, we're done letting one program fight our battles."

combatant_3
User

on Sunday, May, 31, 2015 3:24 PM
Kat Wrote:(One thing that doesn't surprise me, however, is them wondering where they could possibly take it.  They wrote themselves a few dead ends, and the story kept getting more and more fantastical; no wonder they might feel like they're standing on the edge of a post-disaster Tacoma Narrows bridge and looking over the edge going, "oh, crap... now what?")
Tron: Legacy was such a beautiful movie with a simple story. However, it was always difficult to accept a Tron story where Tron was not Tron, but Rinzler. It was only at the end that Tron became himself again. The tension is also there in Tron: Uprising where Tron is injured. So, taking Tron's place was the Renegade (Beck). It's only at the end of the season that Tron was healed. And even if there were a season two, it was inevitable that Tron would be repurposed. It seemed like there was always the assumption that they would be able to continue or finish the story. Obviously, that's not the case. At least, that's not the case with Disney. I hope we'll be able to see the world of Tron, the grid, again.

MCPcomputer
User

on Monday, June, 01, 2015 4:17 PM

Oh man this really messes with my Zen thing man! Oh well I guess I will watch Tron Legacy tonight...
Didn't they see how well ElecTRONica did in 2011???

I am going to need a drink after hearing about this news.

"I want him in the games until he dies playing" -MCP
The Grid a Physical Frontier funny Tron Videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMViP_QtZ8

allen 1
User

on Tuesday, June, 02, 2015 10:09 AM
combatant_3 Wrote:
Kat Wrote:(One thing that doesn't surprise me, however, is them wondering where they could possibly take it.  They wrote themselves a few dead ends, and the story kept getting more and more fantastical; no wonder they might feel like they're standing on the edge of a post-disaster Tacoma Narrows bridge and looking over the edge going, "oh, crap... now what?")
Tron: Legacy was such a beautiful movie with a simple story. However, it was always difficult to accept a Tron story where Tron was not Tron, but Rinzler. It was only at the end that Tron became himself again. The tension is also there in Tron: Uprising where Tron is injured. So, taking Tron's place was the Renegade (Beck). It's only at the end of the season that Tron was healed. And even if there were a season two, it was inevitable that Tron would be repurposed. It seemed like there was always the assumption that they would be able to continue or finish the story. Obviously, that's not the case. At least, that's not the case with Disney. I hope we'll be able to see the world of Tron, the grid, again.
See this was the thing for me they made Tron someone else and NOW they've decided to stop and we will never see tron as part of the story as himself because they probably meant to build up to that

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 Tron 3 Cancelled