TRON: LEGACY 
 Latest TRON 3 news!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
Tzigone
User

RE: Latest TRON 3 news!

on Friday, July, 26, 2013 7:15 AM
I'd say that in a perfect world, they'd get Quorra back into the digital realm ASAP and have 95% of the next movie take place there, with a little real-world stuff before and after to bookend the action on the Grid.
Not for me - I loathe the idea of Quorra going back to the digital world permanently. And I'm very interested in the real-world consequences of everything that happened in Legacy. I'd love to get more real-world than just bookends - though, of course, Grid-time has to be the majority of the movie. But maybe a 70/30 split, if I'm lucky.

I, however, do not want to see Quorra do lots cutesy discovery stuff. Some discovery is fine, but not really any more than Sam had for the grid, as she had as much exposure to our-world concepts as he did to the Grid - more really. And I don't want her to come off as a ditz or be played for slapstick. She also shouldn't blurt out secrets or grid stuff or hug everyone she meets or any of that stuff.

Although it would never, ever happen, I'd have loved an hour-long "The Next Day."

That said, last I heard, they were talking about setting a sequel 4 or 5 years later. I don't like that - there's too much I think needs to addressed sooner - but it eliminates toaster-talking and most of the immediate fallout of Sam taking over ENCOM. And we don't know if Sam had done anything with his memory card of it there's an entirely different digital system for the sequel. Basically, five years skips all the stuff I'm most interested in.

Kat
User

on Friday, July, 26, 2013 6:14 PM
Tzigone Wrote:I, however, do not want to see Quorra do lots cutesy discovery stuff. Some discovery is fine, but not really any more than Sam had for the grid, as she had as much exposure to our-world concepts as he did to the Grid - more really. And I don't want her to come off as a ditz or be played for slapstick. She also shouldn't blurt out secrets or grid stuff or hug everyone she meets or any of that stuff.

This. I've read a lot of fanfic that brings programs into the real world, and an awful lot of it turns otherwise-grown-ass programs into children. Look, I'm never going to get behind a world-weary, ass-kicking security program {Tron}, or a bad guy who was clever enough to keep himself in power for a thousand years {Clu}, acting like Forrest Gump just because they've been tossed into an unfamiliar environment.

Is there an AWFUL lot a program will need to get used to out here? Of course. But it doesn't mean they'll lose their personality or intellect, FFS. I think it's a fine line to walk between Forrest Gump who acts like a five-year-old at the zoo for the first time, and an all-too-knowing Mary Sue who takes everything in stride way too well, which is why I think it's better for them not to even attempt it...

I think Quorra is especially difficult, because the writers of T:L itself turned her into a sort of dichotomy. Is she the wide-eyed and naive character who asks Sam about Jules Verne, or is she the one who kicks ass and can {calmly} verbally hit Clu where it hurts most? Can one person be both at the same time? Is there a way to balance it without going too far one way or the other? Maybe that's why I've always had trouble "getting inside" Quorra the way I have done with almost all of the other characters...

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

combatant_3
User

on Friday, July, 26, 2013 10:17 PM
Putting Quorra in a real world setting could be tricky. She is probably going to be using her skills to complete a mission similar to, but more important than, what Sam was doing in the real world. I would rather see her hacking than fighting. It would be interesting if she were communicating and collaborating with Tron to fight a new MCP while Sam is dealing with Dillinger. One of the most important issues with a real world setting is making sure it happens at night. There could be good reason to have day time scenes, like the other movies, but it's important to stay consistent and use them sparingly if at all.on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill onlineorder abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Argent
User

on Friday, July, 26, 2013 11:16 PM
Tzigone Wrote:Not for me - I loathe the idea of Quorra going back to the digital world permanently. And I'm very interested in the real-world consequences of everything that happened in Legacy. I'd love to get more real-world than just bookends - though, of course, Grid-time has to be the majority of the movie. But maybe a 70/30 split, if I'm lucky.

I'm not sure there's a compromise that would satisfy us both, then. : /

Since seeing Tron in '82, the heart of the franchise - at least to me - has always been about the "secret world" that exists inside our computers. The idea of a digital realm where the programs we use every day live, fight, love and die captured my imagination. What's happening on the other side of the screen when I run that program? What sort of stories are playing out all around us right now? It's that juxtaposition of our mundane world with a hidden, fantastic one that I find appealing.

I have a few issues with the idea of Quorra running around in the real world. Setting aside my quibbles about the mechanics of it (which I've gone on about before), I have a problem with this because it changes the fundamental nature of the Tron universe moving forward. Once we get into the implications of being able to create people and things from computer code and "beam" them into the real world on demand, we're not talking about our world at all anymore. (And yes, before you say it, I know that Encom et al. don't exist in "our" world. Apart from that, though, culturally and technologically, the "real world" of the Tron universe has always been presented as 'our" world.) At that point, the "real world" of Tron becomes an alternate present, with all the cultural and social changes that kind of technology would unleash. The stories would largely abandon "the secret world inside the computer" in favor of exploring other issues, like the implications of matter transmission or the ethics of creating artificial life forms and their place in human society.

And those are interesting themes to explore, don't get me wrong. They're just not the ones I want to see explored through Tron.

where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Kat
User

on Sunday, July, 28, 2013 11:33 AM
Argent Wrote: At that point, the "real world" of Tron becomes an alternate present, with all the cultural and social changes that kind of technology would unleash. The stories would largely abandon "the secret world inside the computer" in favor of exploring other issues, like the implications of matter transmission or the ethics of creating artificial life forms and their place in human society.

And those are interesting themes to explore, don't get me wrong. They're just not the ones I want to see explored through Tron.

Perhaps that is what makes me uneasy about the idea. Actually, what makes me uneasy about the idea of the inside-computer world opened to the user world at large, or even to the internet. It makes the story suddenly a lot... bigger. And therefore, to keep plausibility alive, one has to deal with a lot more issues that take away from a simple action story and exploration of a new world. Suddenly you have to worry about commerce; how it might be exploited by criminals and how that might be fought; the implications of essentially invading someone else's world and doing the whole "colonization" thing all over again; what rights programs might have; how programs might be treated by people who see them as sub-human; how their world could benefit ours and vice versa; whether programs have rights as if they're people, and now that you know they're in there, what do you do when you need to reinstall your OS or what if they decide they don't want to work for users anymore or... I always refer to it as opening a can of worms (and this is not even referring to the practice of bringing programs into the user world). I don't think you can gloss over a lot of that stuff and have the storyline remain believable, or act like it's some happy utopia where users and programs skip through the Outlands hand-in-hand singing "We Shall Overcome." Sooner or later, someone's going to have to ask the hard question: "Wait. Is this a good idea? Is the world ready for this?"

One thing I liked about T:L was that they kept the Grid as a secret place with a lot of potential... potential that was never realized.

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Latest TRON 3 news!