I acquired this kit from a member of the RPF who did a small run. I got two kits, one is full resin with no electronics and the other is resin with transparent end caps and electronic for full lighting.
The first kit I am working on is full resin.
-Full bottom piece (untrimmed)
-2 Top Hand Grip pieces (untrimmed)
-1 Top Center Control piece (untrimmed)
-End caps Non-transparent resin (untrimmed)
-Decal transfer sheet
My goal with this kit is to make it a costume prop that I can wear on my leg while attached with magnets.
-Remove excess resin from casting process
-smooth out edges for fitment
-hollow out the inside of the body for lighter weight and magnet storage
Beginning by gathering necessary materials.
Needed various Dremel components so I got an accessory kit for under $20. Also needed Glue (Go2 glue), masking tape, safety glasses, filter masks, hobby knife and Dremel.
This is the first resin prop kit that I've ever worked with so I was unsure of how to go about removing the excess with the Dremel and what attachments to use, so there was some trial and error.
So I started out by using a Sanding bit to remove the excess resin. This was a good way to remove the little amount but I had to make sure to stay away from the hard edge of the piece as to not ruin it by causing a uneven line.
The way I stayed away from the hard edge was to angle the Dremel and use the corner of the sanding bit to stay towards the inside of the piece removing just the unnecessary material.
Here you can see the excess material removed from one of the Top grips and part of the bottom piece as well as one of the endcaps.
Once all the pieces had the excess removed I went about smoothing them out a bit more to get a nice flush fit to the top and bottom pieces. I grabbed some sandpaper (1000 grit) and a sanding block that you can see here
Mostly what I did was to just move the piece over the sand paper a few passes at a time and then check fitment against the other piece by looking to see if there was a noticeable gap. The more you work the piece the more you should see the gap diminish.
Once I got the fitment to a degree I was satisfied with I then went on to hollowing out the pieces for weight saving. One thing I decided to do was to hollow out one end of the baton more than the other. My reasoning for that was so that one end of the baton would always want to stay pointing towards the ground if I was wearing it on my leg.
The only way I could figure out to hollow these pieces and to do so in a short time is to use a cutting wheel. Cut the outer edge of the "box" area and then make vertical and horizontal lines throughout the box which makes it easier to remove smaller bits of material than larger chunks.
Be very aware of the depth that you use the cutting wheel and take your time with the passes. I was constantly worried I was going to cut through the other side but since I took my time and kept checking all the pieces came out fine.
This is the baton with the pieces just sitting together, nothing is permanently attached yet.
Next, I wanted to clean up some areas of the molded pieces that were rough. I didn't have any specialized tools to use so I just used a xacto knife to scratch away at the small bits of excess in the ridge areas.
Here you can see the differnce along the "stepped" areas with an untouched piece (left) and the cleaned up piece (right).
Now for the magnets! Went to the local hobby store and found the perfect sized magnet that I wanted to use to attach to my pants leg.
I had to remove the colored plastic cover by using a flat head screwdriver which was easy enough then I checked the fitment of the magnet into the center of the body. (after fitting I knew I had to remove more material and I wanted to get the bottom as thinned out as possible to let the magnetic contact be the strongest) The arrow is pointing to the end of the baton I want to point up that has less material. I also drew an arrow on the magnet after checking the polarity against the magnet already attached to the pants.
More magnet fun!
Initially I was just going to seal the center piece permanently with glue but decided to test out magnetic closure that I planned for the other kit. So I measured out from the hard edge on all pieces where I needed the neodymium magnets to go while allowing room in the center for the leg magnet. Once I measured it and had the circumference drawn out I removed the excess material using a engraving bit. I did a little at a time and then would check fitment of the magnet until I could get the surface even to or just below the edge.
I had thought that I would put a magnet at each corner but after testing only two magnets in opposite corners I knew they would be enough. Also here I was checking clearance on the "leg attachment" magnet.
For final fitment before I glued the Top Grip pieces on to the Bottom piece I made sure to keep the Top Control Center piece on to make sure there would be enough area for the center to be taken off and on and keep the gaps to a minimum.
So I added some glue to the Top Grip areas and instead of using clamps I wanted something that would give pressure from every possible direction and the simple solution was rubberbands. wrapped it and let it dry and cure for 24 hours
As of right now this is how is stands. Ready for primer and sanding next.