TRON: LEGACY 
 The octagonal pattern...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Moses613
User

The octagonal pattern...

on Monday, February, 25, 2013 9:59 PM
Needless to say (but I am going to say it anyhow, so du-uh), there is the matter of that octagonal pattern that seems to repeat all over the T:L universe. On Flynns' bike, on CLU's suit, the recognizers, even the streets have it! So I get the feeling it must mean something and Kosinski was trying to get something across with it. Any thoughts on this? It must be a recurring theme for a reason.

DawnStar
User

RE: The octagonal pattern...

on Tuesday, February, 26, 2013 2:34 AM
It's a HEXAGON, not an octagon.
Nevertheless, computer-related things are represented by hexagons, so....

If you want to change the world, you must first change yourself.

If you're against bullying in all its forms, including cyber-bullying, copy and paste this into your profile or signature!

LucrataNexarii
User

on Tuesday, February, 26, 2013 2:55 AM
More as a personal quirk of mine, anything snowflake-shaped (that being, the prime form of a hexagon in a complex representation), has long struck more more as a reflection of mind, or a calculating form. Ergo, the immediate subconscious reaction is an inanimate computational object, 'a computer.'

Aesthetically and geometrically/numerically, I also find hexagons appealing in their structure. A hexagon can also be divided up with a line through three of it's verticies, and it thus becomes a representation of a cube: hence a link to other basic geometrical forms. I could go on about other small tangents of interrelation.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Letters sent to Disney: 7
Let them hear 'Tron lives!!'

MCPcomputer
User

on Thursday, March, 21, 2013 2:59 AM

Wow interesting I never really realized this..but you are right about that... very interesting indeed... abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

"I want him in the games until he dies playing" -MCP
The Grid a Physical Frontier funny Tron Videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMViP_QtZ8

CardioFunk
User

on Thursday, March, 21, 2013 7:51 AM
Bee's use hexagons for their efficiency of materials. Although bee's probably don't realize this. Would make sense to use on the grid to save power resources.

Java
User

on Thursday, March, 21, 2013 1:32 PM
I'm not sure how closely this relates, but when I was doing some 3D modeling. I still like to work in NURBS whenever possible (an earlier form of polygon mapping). The "hull" or structure the computer uses to map out an object's space, is defined as a wrap-around hexagon.
I never noticed that, because they're squares once I convert it to polygons. Maybe hexagons are universally used to define a space while polygons are used to render a space.

must research now abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

END OF LINE.

on Thursday, March, 21, 2013 4:04 PM
In all the 3D modeling I've done, There are two ways the mesh is generated, in triangles or in quads (square). prior to that, geometry is stored in point clouds (an array of dots)

By connecting those dots, which define points in a 3d space, you create a mesh.

a Triangular mesh is more efficient, but not always as smooth.
a Quad mesh can provide better curved surfaces, but usually takes up more space file-wise.

The more points you have, the more quads or triangles you have, the higher the resolution you end up with, but it can have the downside of taking up more memory, or taking longer to slice the model for 3d printing.

I can think of two ways the hex pattern is used in regards to the grid:

1: it's a throwback to tabletop RPG gaming, most miniatures in a tabletop game, and some pc games, have their movement regulated by a hex grid. a map will have the terrain divided up by a hex grid, to allow a player to determine how they can turn, fire their weapons, and move. look at Battletech for an example of this.

Seeing as how ENCOM started out as a game company, this makes sense, as a hex grid may be at the core of the layout of the Grid; Perhaps recycled code from early game projects? a hex grid allows for a smooth definition of range of movement, turning radius, etc. Their system is unique and proprietary, isn't it? Maybe they broke the mold in this regard.

2: the other time I see a Hex associated with 3D models is when I slice a model for printing with Skeinforge (a slicing engine). When you generate infill for a model, in most slicers, it generates a square infill grid with alternating threads of plastic along the x and y axis. In Skeinforge, it generates a honeycomb lattice infill (a hex grid). this provides greater strength, and generally uses less filament, and takes about the same amount of time to print. Perhaps this is why you see it used in the Grid. It's advantages over a square or triangular grid outweigh it's complexity / use of system resources.

As was said earlier, you see the hex in nature, like in a honeycomb. Maybe the underlying complexity of the system itself led to the creation of the ISOs. Perhaps an ISO couldn't come into being without the unique ecology of Encom's proprietary system. In other words, they couldn't come into being on other platforms, but in the unique structure of the Grid, it was a given.

Just my thoughts.order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

BigE73
User

on Thursday, March, 21, 2013 4:10 PM
BTW, I wrote the post above, somehow I logged out by accident. Sorry about that.

-Big-E

I can probably make make that, Just ask.

deeahchur
User

on Saturday, April, 27, 2013 2:26 PM
Have you checked out the "signature" design for the Tron Legacy/Evolution/Uprising concept design artist Daniel Simon?

order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

/ / S C A N N I N G
/ / Incompatable Program detected
/ / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
"Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."

HooDooMan
User

on Saturday, April, 27, 2013 6:49 PM
I thought I read or saw an interview with Joseph Kosinski where, when asked about the meaning of the hexagons in TRON: Legacy, he said that he just liked hexagons, liked the look of them, the structure and order they represented, and that they were a nice aesthetic that he felt fit the theme of the film, something along those lines.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 The octagonal pattern...