Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON: UPRISING 
 Exclusive Interviews with TRON: UPRISING filmmakers on Hollywood Boulevard + TRON Mobile Theater

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
WorldOutWest
Sector Admin

Exclusive Interviews with TRON: UPRISING filmmakers on Hollywood Boulevard + TRON Mobile Theater

on Sunday, June, 03, 2012 5:47 PM

Here's an exclusive, 11 minute video report I put together of the kick-off for the TRON: UPRISING mobile theater held in Hollywood -- which has been on a tour of Southern California showing the epic series prologue film "Beck's Beginning". This state of the art theater is now at Downtown Disney (right between Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure theme parks in Anaheim, California) -- and will have showings every day there from 10 AM till 8 PM -- with its final day of showings on June 7th: the very day of the exciting premiere for the new TRON: UPRISING series on Disney's X D channel.

In the video, I chat with Bruce Boxleitner aka , Charlie Bean: executive producer/director of TRON: UPRISING, and David Levine: vice president and general manager, Disney X D Worldwide -- on the world famous Hollywood Boulevard -- with the TRON themed mobile theater residing next to the historic Chinese and El Capitan Theaters on May 26th & 27th.

_____

Questions I asked were:

- How does it feel to be in the middle of the Hollywood bringing TRON to all of
these people?

- "Beck's Beginning" set the bar very high with its excellent animation and storytelling --
can we expect the series to push the envelope even further?

- Why do you think TRON continues to resonate so strongly with many different
generations?

- Many of the characters in TRON: UPRISING feature multi-colored circuit suits
vs. the singular color circuit style in the movies. How did this come about?

- The series has epic, feature film qualities vs. the likes of a standard TV series --
what are you most pleased with in how the series has turned out?

- Can you give a sneak preview as to what's coming down the line in the series?

_____

Watch the video now to hear all of their responses -- including hearing an exciting, exclusive reveal of a new TRON light vehicle that will make its debut in the premiere episode on June 7th!

You'll also get a look inside the mobile theater itself -- with Bruce Boxleitner and Charlie Bean greeting and speaking to the very first audience in the theater!

- Jay West

Castor from TRON: LEGACY - "Change the scheme..! Alter the mood...! Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.."

Traahn
User

RE: Exclusive Interviews with TRON: UPRISING filmmakers on Hollywood Boulevard + TRON Mobile Theater

on Monday, June, 04, 2012 3:04 AM
Here's a transcript of the video I've put together, for accessibility. YouTube's captions didn't seem to be working very well and I wanted to help some folks out. Sorry for any typos. I tried to keep the words pretty close, but purposely removed some (not all) speech idiosyncracies and didn't use 100% accurate grammar, to try and convey unique deliveries and pacing.

--- TRANSCRIPT ---

these people?

Bruce Boxleitner: Three years ago I would've never imagined this. No, it's very exciting; that's all there is to it. Whatever the venue Tron comes out in, it's always an event it seems -- as (you've seen) yourself, you're a long time Tron fan. And, uhh, it's just exciting and I'm so glad to be a part of all of this, you know? We're still... we're still doing it strangely enough after, you know, the 1980s -- who knew?

Charlie Bean: It's amazing! I mean, it's been, uhh, it's been crazy. We're in this little bubble working on the film, but now to like see something like this, this huge, out here; it's kind of amazing! It's cool.

David Levine: We're super excited to bring Tron out today. It's an incredible, incredible piece of animation. We're extremely proud of it. It's got an incredible voice cast. And I think it's gonna be fantastic for everyone here today, to get out of the sun for about thirty minutes and just go into an absolutely incredible world!

- "Beck's Beginning" set the bar very high with its excellent animation and storytelling --

Charlie Bean: Uhh, yeah, definitely. I mean, we're just getting better and better at it, and the shows just I think are looking better and better as they're coming back from Polygon, the overseas studio, and we're just pushing ourselves further and further to make it more and more exciting. And, yeah, I think the shows are looking great; they're just super exciting... the stories are really cool.

David Levine: I -- I think so! And you're going to see all sorts of new vehicles that have never (been) seen before on The Grid. You'll see all sorts of characters and a depth of the world that we weren't able to get to in the movie, and so I think it's gonna really bring the new -- the Tron universe to life in a whole great new way.

generations?

Bruce Boxleitner: What I believe is that it, you know, the technology... we live in this age of information, and the technology in which, kind of in its own sweet, naive way the original movie kind've predicted the world in a fantasy form that we're living in and not much science fiction does that, you know, I mean. And look at -- I think it reflects how important the video game culture is in our pop culture today. I mean, most of these young people, and not so young people anymore, have played video games for how many years? And they've become more realistic, become more imaginative; the technology has enabled us to create whole new worlds -- which Tron, you know, was at the forefront of. And, umm, now we've reimagined what the grid looks like. And certainly in Tron: Legacy and in Tron: Uprising it's -- it's not a fun place; it's a dangerous place... so it kind've reflects the world we're in today.

Charlie Bean: I mean, I think that initially it came about because we wanted to bring a little bit more color into it, but also I think it's just about differentiating the characters between them; and the Art Director, Alberto, he just loves color and wanted to fuse more color into the world. And we tried to do it in a way that fit in with what they had done in Legacy and what was done with the first film, and at the same time, we, you know, were able to add a lot of color that, you know, that we just like, we just like seeing it in.

- The series has epic, feature film qualities vs. the likes of a standard TV series --

David Levine: It's hard to say just one thing because the animation itself has been just groundbreaking. It is truly, I believe, the best animation produced for television. The voice cast is stellar; they've been giving us just fantastic performances. And the scripting has been great, and the stories are really compelling; connecting with our audience, but also connecting to the Tron fanbase. It's gonna be a great, great, great show for folks.

Bruce Boxleitner: I love how it has captured the concept of what The Grid looks like from Tron: Legacy, but yet has added this whole different sort of combination of, I guess, you would say some of the anime, some of the, you know, the newest in animation. I love the way the characters are portrayed. You know, I don't have the technical jargon to it, but, you know, it's just I mean every frame as you saw at the other night when we had the premiere party: they're wonderful works of modern art! Just a frame of it, you know. The color schemes, and also each character has such an individual look. You know, I wish I had that jaw that I have as Tron! It's amazing. But, no, it's just all around just a... like I said, thirty years ago we would've never imagined this and I think we've created a wonderful, wonderful mythology here; a modern mythology that has also the elements of, you know, all the great ancient mythologies you can incorporate into this, you know? So, uhh, just incredible.

Bruce Boxleitner: I'm sworn to secrecy. I told you, Jay! They planted this chip back here and if I reveal too much I would suddenly collapse before you and, uhh, not be able to be resuscitated (laughs).

Charlie Bean: Oh, umm, well... there's, you know, in the next episode that's coming up that is a two-parter -- the first episode that'll launch on the 7th is "Renegade: Part 1" and then the next episode after that is "Part 2," and I'll just say that we're on the coast, and so... just think about Light Boats (smiles).

Inside the truck

Announcer wearing black Tron shirt: Alright everybody, thank you guys for coming out today! I just want to welcome you all here on behalf of Disney. I'd like to introduce to you very special guests. We have Charlie Bean, the Executive Producer and Director of the show (Audience: Cheering and applause). It's the Tron himself, Mr. Bruce Boxleitner (Audience: Cheering and applause).

Bruce: Wow! Welcome!

Charlie: It's a real treat to be able to show this to you guys. We've been deep, working on this for two years now; it's a pretty involved process and in this tiny little bubble making it. Now, there's a truck, and it's screening it -- it's so cool!

Bruce: Don't you feel like you should put your seatbelts on, we're gonna take off to somewhere? (Audience: Laughter, "Yes!") Well, you really are: you're going to the Grid world --

Charlie: For those of you who don't know that much about this, this takes place between the two films: the conventional Tron and Tron: Legacy. A world that exists within a computer that we call The Grid. (Picks up microphone) Hello? (Laughs)

Bruce: (Laughs) There we are, now we can start over. Anyway --

Charlie: Anyway, so really this is the first episode of the first season. This is the kickoff to the whole series that will air on Disney X D.

Bruce: In June... I believe --

Charlie: In June. June 7th it starts. And so, yeah, we've -- we would like it if, you know, if you have a (inaudible)... and enjoy Tron: Uprising! (Audience: Cheering and applause, then shouting, "Tron! Tron! Tron! Tron! Tron!"

---
for Kia.

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

WorldOutWest
Sector Admin

RE: Exclusive Interviews with TRON: UPRISING filmmakers on Hollywood Boulevard + TRON Mobile Theater

on Monday, June, 04, 2012 3:46 AM
Traahn Wrote:Here's a transcript of the video I've put together, for accessibility. YouTube's captions didn't seem to be working very well and I wanted to help some folks out. Sorry for any typos. I tried to keep the words pretty close, but purposely removed some (not all) speech idiosyncracies and didn't use 100% accurate grammar, to try and convey unique deliveries and pacing.

--- TRANSCRIPT ---

these people?

Bruce Boxleitner: Three years ago I would've never imagined this. No, it's very exciting; that's all there is to it. Whatever the venue Tron comes out in, it's always an event it seems -- as (you've seen) yourself, you're a long time Tron fan. And, uhh, it's just exciting and I'm so glad to be a part of all of this, you know? We're still... we're still doing it strangely enough after, you know, the 1980s -- who knew?

Charlie Bean: It's amazing! I mean, it's been, uhh, it's been crazy. We're in this little bubble working on the film, but now to like see something like this, this huge, out here; it's kind of amazing! It's cool.

David Levine: We're super excited to bring Tron out today. It's an incredible, incredible piece of animation. We're extremely proud of it. It's got an incredible voice cast. And I think it's gonna be fantastic for everyone here today, to get out of the sun for about thirty minutes and just go into an absolutely incredible world!

Charlie Bean: Uhh, yeah, definitely. I mean, we're just getting better and better at it, and the shows just I think are looking better and better as they're coming back from Polygon, the overseas studio, and we're just pushing ourselves further and further to make it more and more exciting. And, yeah, I think the shows are looking great; they're just super exciting... the stories are really cool.

David Levine: I -- I think so! And you're going to see all sorts of new vehicles that have never (been) seen before on The Grid. You'll see all sorts of characters and a depth of the world that we weren't able to get to in the movie, and so I think it's gonna really bring the new -- the Tron universe to life in a whole great new way.

generations?

Bruce Boxleitner: What I believe is that it, you know, the technology... we live in this age of information, and the technology in which, kind of in its own sweet, naive way the original movie kind've predicted the world in a fantasy form that we're living in and not much science fiction does that, you know, I mean. And look at -- I think it reflects how important the video game culture is in our pop culture today. I mean, most of these young people, and not so young people anymore, have played video games for how many years? And they've become more realistic, become more imaginative; the technology has enabled us to create whole new worlds -- which Tron, you know, was at the forefront of. And, umm, now we've reimagined what the grid looks like. And certainly in Tron: Legacy and in Tron: Uprising it's -- it's not a fun place; it's a dangerous place... so it kind've reflects the world we're in today.

Charlie Bean: I mean, I think that initially it came about because we wanted to bring a little bit more color into it, but also I think it's just about differentiating the characters between them; and the Art Director, Alberto, he just loves color and wanted to fuse more color into the world. And we tried to do it in a way that fit in with what they had done in Legacy and what was done with the first film, and at the same time, we, you know, were able to add a lot of color that, you know, that we just like, we just like seeing it in.

David Levine: It's hard to say just one thing because the animation itself has been just groundbreaking. It is truly, I believe, the best animation produced for television. The voice cast is stellar; they've been giving us just fantastic performances. And the scripting has been great, and the stories are really compelling; connecting with our audience, but also connecting to the Tron fanbase. It's gonna be a great, great, great show for folks.

Bruce Boxleitner: I love how it has captured the concept of what The Grid looks like from Tron: Legacy, but yet has added this whole different sort of combination of, I guess, you would say some of the anime, some of the, you know, the newest in animation. I love the way the characters are portrayed. You know, I don't have the technical jargon to it, but, you know, it's just I mean every frame as you saw at the other night when we had the premiere party: they're wonderful works of modern art! Just a frame of it, you know. The color schemes, and also each character has such an individual look. You know, I wish I had that jaw that I have as Tron! It's amazing. But, no, it's just all around just a... like I said, thirty years ago we would've never imagined this and I think we've created a wonderful, wonderful mythology here; a modern mythology that has also the elements of, you know, all the great ancient mythologies you can incorporate into this, you know? So, uhh, just incredible.

Bruce Boxleitner: I'm sworn to secrecy. I told you, Jay! They planted this chip back here and if I reveal too much I would suddenly collapse before you and, uhh, not be able to be resuscitated (laughs).

Charlie Bean: Oh, umm, well... there's, you know, in the next episode that's coming up that is a two-parter -- the first episode that'll launch on the 7th is "Renegade: Part 1" and then the next episode after that is "Part 2," and I'll just say that we're on the coast, and so... just think about Light Boats (smiles).

Inside the truck

Announcer wearing black Tron shirt: Alright everybody, thank you guys for coming out today! I just want to welcome you all here on behalf of Disney. I'd like to introduce to you very special guests. We have Charlie Bean, the Executive Producer and Director of the show (Audience: Cheering and applause). It's the Tron himself, Mr. Bruce Boxleitner (Audience: Cheering and applause).

Bruce: Wow! Welcome!

Charlie: It's a real treat to be able to show this to you guys. We've been deep, working on this for two years now; it's a pretty involved process and in this tiny little bubble making it. Now, there's a truck, and it's screening it -- it's so cool!

Bruce: Don't you feel like you should put your seatbelts on, we're gonna take off to somewhere? (Audience: Laughter, "Yes!") Well, you really are: you're going to the Grid world --

Charlie: For those of you who don't know that much about this, this takes place between the two films: the conventional Tron and Tron: Legacy. A world that exists within a computer that we call The Grid. (Picks up microphone) Hello? (Laughs)

Bruce: (Laughs) There we are, now we can start over. Anyway --

Charlie: Anyway, so really this is the first episode of the first season. This is the kickoff to the whole series that will air on Disney X D.

Bruce: In June... I believe --

Charlie: In June. June 7th it starts. And so, yeah, we've -- we would like it if, you know, if you have a (inaudible)... and enjoy Tron: Uprising! (Audience: Cheering and applause, then shouting, "Tron! More! Tron! More! Tron! More! Tron!)

---
for Kia.

Rock on Traahn By the way, in the theater the audience is actually shouting "TRON! TRON! TRON!" repeatedly vs. the "TRON! More! TRON! More!" etc. that you wrote.

The TRON: UPRISING mobile theater is a fantastic set-up... if anyone is in the Downtown Disney area in-between Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure this week (up through Thursday) -- I highly recommend checking it out -- and they have prizes for those who win at their trivia questions after the screenings

- Jay

Castor from TRON: LEGACY - "Change the scheme..! Alter the mood...! Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.."

Traahn
User

on Monday, June, 04, 2012 3:55 AM
You bet. I had "Tron! Tron! Tron!" originally, but swore I was hearing "More Tron." Maybe it's just one person, or none... so I'll leave it to your eyewitness account. Edited my post, as appropriate!

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

HooDooMan
User

on Wednesday, June, 06, 2012 11:44 PM
Great job, Jay! I'm just now getting to see this interview. That truck looks amazing! Kinda wish I had that setup in my living room! LOL! I wish this thing would tour the country. I'd love to see (and hear) it in all it's 1080p Blu-Ray glory!

I really hope this series knocks it out of the park for Disney, and builds up a huge fan base to drive demand for another TRON film. (I know it's in the works, I just feel that, the more fans...the better!)

....and Light Boats!!.....NICE!!!

Thanks again, Jay! Awesome interviews!

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: UPRISING