General Discussion 
 ROMs for the uninformed

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
Qix77
User

Re: ROMs for the uninformed

on Tuesday, July, 15, 2003 1:31 AM
Ok... That is copyright information, however, some roms (made within the last 20 years) are legal...

Williams, Bally, and I think pre-95 Stern pinball roms are legal, but only because the company allows it to be or the company (s) went out of business and nobody ever bought the rights.... I think...

My brother has a section of this at his site : www.popbumper.com
(for pinball roms only... but I believe he goes into some detail about the process.)

One again, you should investagate in these areas before downloading roms.

As it's been said... This is a gray area.

curtishart
User

on Tuesday, July, 15, 2003 9:36 AM
Again, that's wrong. There are only TWO arcade ROMs that are public domain. Everything else (Pinball, arcade, atari, Intellivision, etc, etc...someone owns these rights, beit the actual company, a company who bought them out, or a bank who liquidized a company's assets.

(Sometimes the challenge is trying to find who owns a certain right )

Look at all the re-releases of classic games for consoles...if you look at the box it tells you who owns these rights still.

Again, I don't care what people do about downloading ROMs for emulators or not (We're all grown-ups and can make our own decisions) HOWEVER, as mentioned before, I just want people to understand that, for the most part, downloading these ROMs are in fact, illegal. Whether they're old, company's gone under or whatever the reason is irrelevant.

Okay, I've said my piece (a couple of times even) and I'm starting to sound like I'm bashing people so I'm leaving it here and going back to playing all my Tron game order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

Qix77
User

on Wednesday, July, 16, 2003 12:08 AM
Well... Williams Pinball roms can be downloaded (or use to be) at their coin-op website. The only pinball roms that I know that is illegal to download is Gottilibe (who is out of production but the guy who now owns the rights just won't release the roms freely) and the other is new Stern (the only exsisting pinball company in america).

Like I said, go to my brother's site: www.popbumper.com

He talks about it.

Now... I think your right and Arcade Roms and most concel roms, but some of the folks who currently owns the rights to failed systems will allow you to legaly download the roms. Check out some of the Intelivision developer's websites. Coleco is no more and if no one bought the rights..... well... I'd have to investigate it.

I'm wondering about Atari??? Infogames owns the rights to all previous Atari roms (developed by Atari carts & arcade), Atari systems (concel and computer), name, and logo. But Atari Age has some info from the new owners.

Check them out at: http://www.atariage.com/

Other's I'm not sure about (but nobody's complaining) is:

Computers:

Commodore (not including Amiga because I know a guy owns the Kickstart rights and wants you to pay to have them)

Odyssey (keep in mind that this is a list I'm not sure about)

Systems:

Vectrex
Astrocade (not 3rd party games)

If anyone has any information, please spot me some input. Thanks.

Qix77
User

on Wednesday, July, 16, 2003 12:17 AM
curtishart Wrote:

Okay, I've said my piece (a couple of times even) and I'm starting to sound like I'm bashing people so I'm leaving it here and going back to playing all my Tron game

Don't worry.. Your not bashing anyone... I believe your completely right... I just think that we misunderstood what the other is getting at....

I'm just saying that there are a lot of people who owns the rights to some of these roms, and that are allowing the public to have their hands on them..

I'm mainly just going on about the ones I'm not sure about, do to the lack of information that I'm yet to stumble across.

Nevertheless, your right.

Now it's time to play TRON.

order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 ROMs for the uninformed