General Discussion 
 I don't know about these Kids these days

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
Wave
User

Re: I don't know about these Kids these days

on Friday, July, 18, 2003 11:18 PM
The realization is that at the time CGI was a completely new technology at the time. Not to mention that computers themselves were really just hitting the mainstream public at the time. (Tron) truly was pushing the envelope on the limits of the computers at the time. I feel that Hollywood was afraid that the CGI would take the place of the special effects man. Ironically the two have merged together because of the slow realization that CGI would benifit movies.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

MutoidMan
User

on Friday, July, 18, 2003 11:52 PM
I think that maybe TRON's concepts were a bit too advanced for most kids of the time to appreciate.

I was 11 at the time and my friends and I thought TRON was the coolest. Then again, we all read Fangoria magazine, we watched and appreciated all sorts of b-movies, horror movies (movies from the '70s like Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark rule), slasher flicks, 50's and 60's sci-fi (Forbidden Planet, The Omega Man) Godzilla movies, Kung-Fu movies (ah, The Five Deadly Venoms), Japanimation (Battle Of The Planets) and other stuff. We talked about the films, how they compared to one another, the special effects, who did the special effects, the plots, the overall concepts, etc. For us, TRON was like a never-before seen super-cool toy! Kids not into that stuff probably wouldn't have understood, much less appreciated TRON.

*** WARNING *** POSSIBLY INSULTING COMMENTARY FOLLOWS ***

In other words, if you collected sports cards and voraciously memorized stats like how many times a particular player scratched his crotch in a particular game, you may not have had the imagination to appreciate things like TRON.

*** WARNING *** POSSIBLY INSULTING COMMENTARY ABOVE ***

Today it's different. Most kids are so jaded by super-high polished special effects in almost every TV show or movie they see that they can't even begin to watch things like TRON without falling asleep. Kids have to be taught to appreciate that special effects in any movie are probably the best that could be created at the time the movie was made, and accept them in that light. After that they can enjoy the story and understand the concepts of the movie. I mean, I still love watching Jason And The Argonauts; seeing Ray Harryhausen's cool skeletal army rise from the ground and do battle with the Argonauts is still a blast! And, it works in Army Of Darkness, and if you think about, isn't a Terminator just a futuristic Ray Harryhausen killer skeleton?

"We are, after all, not God." - Cmdr. J. J. Adams
"C is for cookie. That's good enough for me." - Cookie Monster
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

Most recent PC game collection update: 04/12/2012. Check it out!

Euphemizm
User

I agree too.

on Saturday, July, 19, 2003 5:20 PM
I agree with you all.

Yeh, Max headroom was really neat when I saw him.

Just seeing something "computer" back in 82 when I was 5 years old was enough to make me go doodle on paper for hours.

I just got Tron on DVD, the 20th anniversary one, and am still blown away by it.

I miss characters that are vunerable, both physically and emotionally, in a way that you are concerned about thier well being.

Most characters in movies today are too serious and too cool for themselves that I don't really care if they get killed or hurt emotionally.

Watching Flynn talk to Ram, before Ram derezzes, is a perfect example of him really caring. It is an element missing in many big films now days.

Most movies I like today have to make me at least care about the characters. I don't mind a good tongue and cheek film either but....

I hope if Tron 2.0 comes out to be a movie that we wont just get some GEN X/ MTV flavored milk shake with hip hop hoochies bouncing thier virtual booties whilst fellow light cycle combatants dope out thier light cycles with nitrous/ddr ram etc, etc and then continue to stroke thier egos by being FO REAL.

Would like to see some inner reflection and a little vanity free.

end of line-

Euphemizm
User

on Saturday, July, 19, 2003 5:27 PM
Oh, forgot to mention...in reference to mutoid man.

Most kids that I know today still love watching Army of Darkness.

Something about it still holding up.

I think it always will.

Im right there with you about all the horror flicks and Godzilla, etc.

Too bad the latest Godzilla is a casualty of exactly what I feared it would be.

A recommendation to Godzill fans tho.

Have you seen the latest Gamera 3?

It is by far the best monster movie ever made.

Shouod be out on U.S dvd soon.

I rented it last year on DVD.

Was in Japanese and had no subtitles but I didn't care cause it was so cool.

Is Tron 2.0 going to be a Movie you think?

MutoidMan
User

on Saturday, July, 19, 2003 8:43 PM
I haven't seen Gamera 3; in fact it's been a while since I've seen any new Japanese monster movies.

Have you seen Iron Monkey? The one Quentin Tarantino brought over from Hong Kong last summer? I saw it over 10 years ago uncut and subtitled on a tape from Chinatown in NYC, and it is probably my favorite fantasy Kung-Fu movie of all time. (I say fantasy because there is a lot of Wire Fu.) It's Robin Hood Chinese-style and it rules! Tarantino's cut came out on DVD March 26th. It's very good, but the uncut subtitled version is the one to see.

I really hope TRON 2.0 is a good movie.

I like the game's plot (what we know of it) and think it could be the basis for a good movie.

We've all read about Flynn living in the electronic world like Colonel Kurtz lives in the jungle in Apocalypse Now. It could be very cool and deep, but I'll have to know more before I can say whether or not I think it'll fly. We all love the Flynn character, and to twist him into a pseudo-villan or a crazy could turn the TRON faithful against the movie. I just hope they think it through and try to produce the best film they can.

"We are, after all, not God." - Cmdr. J. J. Adams
"C is for cookie. That's good enough for me." - Cookie Monster
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

Most recent PC game collection update: 04/12/2012. Check it out!

IsoLine
User

on Sunday, July, 20, 2003 4:45 AM
Well since everyone has said so much and taken all the good thoughts all I will add is ......um, YEAH!

Kidding aside I like Sketch's idea of getting historical on their little minds before expecting them to sit and grok to the Tron world unfolding before them. Do a little treatise on CGI, Hacking, Cyberpunk and stuff. Let em know back then, when you wanted to do CGI, you didn't use mommy and daddies cred card to order Maya or Lightwave 3D from some computer software store you either wrote the code yourself which was not often tackled by the home computer set or you went to a big computing lab like Evans & Sutherland, or Triple I or MAGI and you paid for them to do stuff for you and then you prayed it all looked great. Stuff like that.

"Word to the Motherboard!" - IsoLine

Lew
User

on Sunday, July, 20, 2003 8:03 AM
Compucore Wrote: The original tv show of Max Headroom was from the BBC I think.

IIRC, it was Channel 4order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 I don't know about these Kids these days