Other Sectors 
 Our soapbox...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 6 Pages
foilism
User

Re: Our soapbox...

on Thursday, November, 24, 2005 6:37 PM
Not heard that one dave! sounds damned annoying though!

I'm getting very frustrated with the pronounciations of route.

I personally, along with most lovelly british people pronounce it like root, but i am hearing too many people say rowt, no!!!! But this may be all of america i'm getting at. sorry, but no!!!!on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

TheJediUnit
User

on Friday, November, 25, 2005 3:42 PM
Wow, this is an OLD resurrection! abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

KiaPurity
User

on Friday, November, 25, 2005 5:27 PM
No kidding. ^^:

And yeah, the whole oh snap thing is silly. I entirely blame few friends for this.

Though, yet another friend came up with a "replacement" for lol... PAUL. I have no idea why. We're all strange. o_o

...and for the real soap box!

(insert ramblings about home city and job market. )

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Prankster bit
User

on Friday, November, 25, 2005 7:24 PM
i really don't get this thread. maybe there's nothing to get

but since this seems to have rooted from pronunciations of words[incidently, i've always said pronounciation, even though spelling says otherwise]
i'm really interested in the little things that make American English different from English English

like tomato. it's an overused example, but when i say it i can't help thinking "tom-ah-toe or tom-ay-toe"

then there's aluminium. i'm not sure if it's spelled differently in America, but "aloominum"just seems strange, as i suppose "alewmineeum" would to you peoples.

there's a plethora of other examples. but i'll leave it there for now

i overheard someone talking about iraq a few days ago, and they said Missile in the American way "miss-lll" instead od "miss-eye-ll" i supose this is the same case as "root" and "rowt" so i'll leave that there as well.

abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

words of wisdom from...

PranKsTeR BiT V2.0

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Friday, November, 25, 2005 7:53 PM
Ooooo SNAP!

Just look at this old thread being brought back to active duty!

** reads through a little **

Oops!

I seem to have gone the wrong rowt with my choice of words!

Just playing. He he he.

Compucore
User

on Friday, November, 25, 2005 9:37 PM
Well this trhead can Kiss my Grits!!!! Hearty Laugh and nearly rolling on the floor laughing. ,/i> Who revived this thread?

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

DaveTRON
User

on Friday, November, 25, 2005 10:20 PM
TODD!!!!!!!!! WHAT did I tell you about that phrase! where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

DaveTRON

DaveTRON
User

on Friday, November, 25, 2005 10:21 PM
Compucore Wrote:Well this trhead can Kiss my Grits!!!! Hearty Laugh and nearly rolling on the floor laughing. ,/i> Who revived this thread?

Karl,

you have foilism to thank for the revival.

DaveTRON

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Saturday, November, 26, 2005 12:49 AM
Prankster bit Wrote:i really don't get this thread. maybe there's nothing to get

but since this seems to have rooted from pronunciations of words[incidently, i've always said pronounciation, even though spelling says otherwise]
i'm really interested in the little things that make American English different from English English

like tomato. it's an overused example, but when i say it i can't help thinking "tom-ah-toe or tom-ay-toe"

then there's aluminium. i'm not sure if it's spelled differently in America, but "aloominum"just seems strange, as i suppose "alewmineeum" would to you peoples.

there's a plethora of other examples. but i'll leave it there for now

i overheard someone talking about iraq a few days ago, and they said Missile in the American way "miss-lll" instead od "miss-eye-ll" i supose this is the same case as "root" and "rowt" so i'll leave that there as well.

Alot of it boils down to the various accents that can be found here in America. There are alot. You would be amazed how many ways one simple word can said.

Po-ta-toe, Po-tah-toe... Tater.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

foilism
User

on Saturday, November, 26, 2005 2:06 PM
Compucore Wrote:Well this trhead can Kiss my Grits!!!! Hearty Laugh and nearly rolling on the floor laughing. ,/i> Who revived this thread?

#
hehe, sorry compy!

Prankster bit
User

on Saturday, November, 26, 2005 5:05 PM
Sketch Wrote:
Alot of it boils down to the various accents that can be found here in America. There are alot. You would be amazed how many ways one simple word can said.

so not a single person in America says "Po-tay-toes" like we do here in good ole' blightey

words of wisdom from...

PranKsTeR BiT V2.0

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Saturday, November, 26, 2005 5:09 PM
Prankster bit Wrote:
Sketch Wrote:

so not a single person in America says "Po-tay-toes" like we do here in good ole' blightey

That too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Saturday, November, 26, 2005 5:50 PM

What bugs me is the popular misconception that all Canadians say Aboot instead of About. That's BS. Some do, mainly people from the Maritimes (east coast). But the vast majority don't.

We do tend to say eh a lot, though.

BTW, anyone seen THIS before?
(The link was down when I tried it, but it should work again later.)

order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

DaveTRON
User

on Saturday, November, 26, 2005 8:27 PM
Prankster bit Wrote: so not a single person in America says "Po-tay-toes" like we do here in good ole' blightey

I think illiterates say Po-tah-to. It's a Potato (Po-tay-to) dammit!

DaveTRON

FreedomForever
User

on Saturday, November, 26, 2005 8:37 PM
redrain85 Wrote:

What bugs me is the popular conception that all Canadians say Aboot instead of About. That's BS. Some do, mainly people from the Maritimes (east coast). But the vast majority don't.

We do tend to say eh a lot, though.

BTW, anyone seen THIS before?
(The link was down when I tried it, but it should work again later.)

LOL! Whaaaaaaat's taters? PO-TA-TOS!
on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill onlineorder abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

TheJediUnit
User

on Saturday, November, 26, 2005 11:19 PM
A small revisit to the soapbox (and also noting this can pertain to more than just issues of pronounciation). Two irritations of mine...

1. "Irregardless". Jeez that one grates me. It's either "regardless" or "disregarding".

2. "Hot water heater." It's just "water heater", right? What's with describing the device as a tool to heat water that's already hot?

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

Prankster bit
User

on Sunday, November, 27, 2005 1:45 PM
ok, here's one:

how would you peoples not living in the UK pronounce the name of my home town, Portsmouth?

also, the whole Z-lot thing is wasted on Brits. everybody's heard of a zealot [i say "zelot", not sure about the rest of the UK] but our Z isn't "Zee", it's "Zed". so when i first saw the word Z-lot, i immediately thought "Zed-lot"

words of wisdom from...

PranKsTeR BiT V2.0

TheJediUnit
User

on Sunday, November, 27, 2005 2:51 PM
how would you peoples not living in the UK pronounce the name of my home town, Portsmouth?

I pronounce it "portz-muth".

zealot [i say "zelot", not sure about the rest of the UK] but our Z isn't "Zee"

Well, I pronounce it like you do, but I don't consider the "zee" incorrect, considering how to properly pronounce "sea".

--Spock

Prankster bit
User

on Sunday, November, 27, 2005 3:28 PM
TheJediUnit Wrote:

I pronounce it "portz-muth".

zealot [i say "zelot", not sure about the rest of the UK] but our Z isn't "Zee"

Well, I pronounce it like you do, but I don't consider the "zee" incorrect, considering how to properly pronounce "sea".

well, you're right on portsmouth. there's a tv advert for budweiser doing it's rounds at the moment with an American guy trying to spruce up the concept of football "soccer to you guys" by renaming the teams. these include "team manchester [as opposed to manchester united and manchester city], and portsmouth pirates "pronounced ports-mouth
that irritates me beyond belief.

it's like people calling Chicago "shik-a-go". it's wrong.
wrong, wrong, wrong WRONG

i don't consider "zee" incorrect either. that's just the American way of saying it. wat i was saying was the way that Z-lot is spelled maked it sound to the british as "zed-lot", not "zee-lot" it doesn't have the same ring to it, does it on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill onlineorder abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

words of wisdom from...

PranKsTeR BiT V2.0

FirstPrevious Page: of 6 Pages
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors 
 Our soapbox...