Other Sectors 
 Comedy

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Sketch
Sector Admin

Comedy

on Friday, February, 07, 2003 8:59 AM
Here we go. This might help us wander away from the UK topic.

I don't watch too many comedy shows. I love the Drew Carey show, that's about the only new comedy here in America I can think of that I watch. I've always loved the Munsters show. What I like about it is it's clean humor and its funny. Lately I've been getting into Sanford and Son. I've noticed alot of the older comedy shows had much more originality than alot of todays new age comedy you see on tv. I swear the networks seem to roll out some new "sitcom" each month over here.

I haven't seen too many British comedys. I have seen Montey Pythons Search for the Holey Grail and die laughing every time. NE!

"Tiss only a flesh wound."
"Your a loney..."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

TriggerEXE
User

Hehe...

on Friday, February, 07, 2003 9:32 AM
I don't watch many sitcoms anymore. I'm more into cartoons and stuff. I like watching the stuff on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. I also like watching Courage the Cowardly Dog, Ed Edd and Eddy, Invader Zim, Spongebob, and various anime shows.

One of my favorite comedy shows of all time is Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K). With Mike or Joel, it's still funny. As for British comedies, my favorite of all time is Red Dwarf. I love the show. Just too bad they didn't finish out the series. I would love to see series 8 and can't wait for the RD movie to come out. order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

"The dark can embrace the light, but never eclipse it."

TheJediUnit
User

diverted reply...

on Friday, February, 07, 2003 4:09 PM
Ahh... almost didn't notice this thread.

I guess I'll move my reply here that was made to Shorty's comment about America making the best TV comedy. I guess I'll pluck it off from there.

There is an unfortunate and undeniable fact about American T.V., comedy and otherwise. Each and every show is made to obtain as large an audience as possible, scoop the largest possible cross-section of all viewers to watch it. Now, that's not accomplished by leaving most viewers at the door by making it too attractive to any certain group, so American T.V. is more base and homogenized and bland. This is not the case with British shows. They don't even attempt to make shows like that for a couple reasons. Number one, since America is already belching out those kinds of shows by the ton, so it's already a saturated target. Secondly, because they see neglected audiences minority in tastes that American producers volunteerily ignore as being too exclusive. So, when looking at Brit-Coms, you see shows that zero in on more specific kinds of people. Red Dwarf pegs the sci-fi crowd. As Time goes By, older viewers. Black Adder, history buffs. American producers don't have the guts to abandon any larger/less complicated crowd in preference of pleasing any smaller one extra well. So, with American shows, yes I agree they might make more people laugh 'some', but Brit-coms will make a slightly smaller more-well-targeted crowd bust a gut laughing. Not to mention the fact that Brits humor is more daring, less afraid of political correctness taboos, and just plain more intelligent. Everyone is different, and if you care to look hard enough, you'll not only find a Brit-com that suits your personal taste, but you'll then realize it's the funniest show you've ever seen and wondered why you settled for American's bland idea of "laughter for the masses".

So basicly, I guess my point is that NO joke can make EVERYONE laugh, but for some reason most American comedies still can't help but give it their best shot instead of the Brit-com's strategy of aiming jokes more at those who'll really like 'em best.

I'm as proud to be an American as the next guy, but I'm not going to let pride delude me into believing we're better at something that we're just not. And with comedies, we're just not better than the Brits, and I don't feel any less American to admit it.where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

foilism
User

No Title

on Saturday, February, 08, 2003 4:55 AM
Unfortunatly I think the brit-coms are edging towards what you just describred for the american comedys jedi. You mentioned coupling earlier, that is perfect evidence of generic and bland sit-coms that go no-where. But once in a while you get some realy classy, well done ones like friends and fraiser- they are sooooooo successful now, in like the 9th seasons-plus they're funny. But i think americans have done best in their 'mature' cartoons like the simpson and futurama, futurama has definatley got the best humour in a program than nearly any other show i've seen.

I was watching one of the infamous Only fools and horses episodes last night, and I think it was evidence that britons have an aquired sense of humour. I'm glad you guys like our humour, I have to say, Americans really do well in the movies, I think you guys push the envelope as much in film as we do in comedy, if not more. ooopps sorry sketch i re-entered the uk topic-can't help it its so tempting.
thanks for listening, bye bye .
where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

TheJediUnit
User

No Title

on Saturday, February, 08, 2003 11:04 AM
Yea, you're right that there is some cruddy brit-coms and fantastic American comedy too, and I didn't mean to suggest that they didn't exist. I'm just pointing out the rule, not the exception. And you're also right. The worst thing that ever happend to Brit-coms is the point in which they were made KNOWING they'd be shown in America. That's what we all mean by they were better back then, because the prospect of coming to America was bleak, but now Brit-com creators are already falling into the same trap as American producers. But, I suppose even British producers are still better at playing to that unfortunate goal than American ones.

Oh, and just because shows run a long time in America does NOT mean they're good. Are you saying "Saved by the Bell" and "Family Matters" was good too?

Hm?

But anyway, sometimes being an American viewer can make one feel like nothing more than cattle.

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

Sketch
Sector Admin

No Title

on Saturday, February, 08, 2003 12:49 PM
That's ok Folism.
I just tried to help separate the comedy topic before it took over the Who else is in the UK topic.
It's fine bringing up UK, USA, etc, comedy topic here.

I watched Saved by the Bell and never really got into it. It was always boring to me. Never got into Friends either. I have been getting into Futurama lately now that's on Cartoon Network. I liked Family Matters when I was younger, but the show got old after a while. Seems some shows start out good and just age and get sour after a while.

I love courage! Both the drawing style and the all out creepy/crazyness it involves!

*Sketch brings out giant green mask*
BOOOGA, BOOGA, BOOGA! HA HA HA HA!

The show is just saturated with cartoonish humor!
I love the Doc! He could have his own show!
Man, I'm already crackin up just thinking of the show... where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

TheJediUnit
User

No Title

on Saturday, February, 08, 2003 2:26 PM
I don't get the cartoon network, so I'm out of sync with the newer stuff. I think Futurama is pretty good, but not quite up with the Simpsons yet. It definately has the formula to be a Simpsons someday though. Mind you, even the Simpsons wasn't really as good as Futurama at it's same age. I loved that one when Bender turned fat human then died. "That wasn't him hooting... it was just gas escaping his flab, see?" *Phoooo.. Weeeeee pooooooooo* That was hilarious. You know, I loved Family Guy, but I don't think it's on anymore. I like Dexter's Laboratory too.

--Spock

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors 
 Comedy